Join Early Retirement Today

Finally, a site that celebrates FIRE!
Old 10-15-2013, 04:48 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Finally, a site that celebrates FIRE!

I've been searching for a site where I don't have to under-represent our FIRE status in order to avoid 'haters.' Most sites seem to focus on how to get to FIRE, not what to do once you arrive. An entirely different set of issues IMHO.

Retired two years ago at 49 and 55, and have been living comfortably ever since, though we've deployed a lot of frugality habits to ensure our money does indeed outlast us rather than vice versa. Our lives are currently divided between travel (5 months of the year), ongoing education (5 months of the year), and social, family and sporting activities (the remaining two months).

Our biggest challenges these days, truly, is maintaining a high enough energy level to do everything we want to do.

Looking forward to exploring this site in detail, particularly the photographers thread.
RetiredAndFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2013, 03:45 AM   #2

Welcome to ER.org! It sounds like you'll fit right in.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:58 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Welcome aboard! Looks like you'll have lots to contribute.
Old 10-16-2013, 12:25 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Welcome and congratulations on your FIRE !!!
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 12:55 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Welcome. I just FIRE'd at 49 myself and looking forward to my 2 year anniversary. Enjoy the site; lots of great information/folks here.
NanoSour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 04:22 PM   #6

Welcome! I think you'll find us a friendly bunch so jump on in!
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 06:04 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

We are both turning 60 in December and will FIRE the end of the year! I am a little nervous but totally excited about the opportunities! I look forward to learning more from this site! Thanks for the positive encouragement!
Dcharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 04:32 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanoSour View Post
Welcome. I just FIRE'd at 49 myself and looking forward to my 2 year anniversary. Enjoy the site; lots of great information/folks here.
Can you share your situation? I am 51 and hope to FIRE early 2014.

We are tracking expenses. Living well below our means. Its hard to launch. Thanks. Nomad
Nomad4hire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 04:33 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredAndFree View Post
I've been searching for a site where I don't have to under-represent our FIRE status in order to avoid 'haters.' Most sites seem to focus on how to get to FIRE, not what to do once you arrive. An entirely different set of issues IMHO.

Retired two years ago at 49 and 55, and have been living comfortably ever since, though we've deployed a lot of frugality habits to ensure our money does indeed outlast us rather than vice versa. Our lives are currently divided between travel (5 months of the year), ongoing education (5 months of the year), and social, family and sporting activities (the remaining two months).

Our biggest challenges these days, truly, is maintaining a high enough energy level to do everything we want to do.

Looking forward to exploring this site in detail, particularly the photographers thread.
Congratulations! ! What are you doing for insurance? Nomad
You're Gonna Love It Here!
Old 10-21-2013, 07:31 AM   #10

You're Gonna Love It Here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAustin View Post
Welcome! I think you'll find us a friendly bunch so jump on in!
I felt the same way when I found this site: lots of practical advice, keen insights, camaraderie. Another unexpected benefit: hearing from folks who made similar choices to those DH and I made over the years, such as LBYM. Throughout our 34 years of marriage, we have met far more peers living way beyond their means than those (like DH and me) who spend much of their married life plotting their escape from the rat race.

For example, taking an LBYM vacation meant there was more $ to max out the 401K's. Shopping garage sales and rummage sales (if one could add up all those bargains over the decades) helped me pad the IRA's and RE sooner, which reduced the weekends of my life spent grading essays and research papers. DIY habits provided more $ for the LBYM vacations, etc.

The list goes on............ your new friends here will add far more to the list than I can.

Don't you love ER? (Mine didn't start till 59, and DH 62......but we still feel like we're playing hooky, with so many friends still slaving away.)

Enjoy, and congrats!

Old 10-21-2013, 07:51 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad4hire View Post
Can you share your situation? I am 51 and hope to FIRE early 2014.

We are tracking expenses. Living well below our means. Its hard to launch. Thanks. Nomad
Hi Nomad. You can find the specifics on our journey here http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...nth-65344.html. So far it's been great. Well at least till last night's depressing loss to the colts. We made a huge life change on several fronts. RE, 3000 mile relocation, new schools, new friends, etc. It's been a busy launch for us with no regrets.

Good luck...Nano
NanoSour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 08:24 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad4hire View Post
Congratulations! ! What are you doing for insurance? Nomad
By insurance I presume you mean health insurance, the only one worth talking about these days?

Well, we were sitting pretty good up until the 1/1/2014 ACA changes. We researched our options upon entering the individual market in 2011, electing to go with a high deductible medical/vision plan at an HMO. My premiums started at $165 a month, and my husbands at $210. They renewed twice on 1/1 at a modest 3% rate increase.

Due to ACA changes, we just received our 1/1/2014 renewals showing a, gulp, 125% rate increase. We have our annual deductible amounts built into our run rate, and since we have them accrued and haven't used them in two years, we'll allocate that money to the premiums instead. If we need to eventually replace our deductible funds because we need to use them, we have a major item accrual we can use.
RetiredAndFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 03:17 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

By insurance I presume you mean health insurance, the only one worth talking about these days?

Well, we were sitting pretty good up until the 1/1/2014 ACA changes. We researched our options upon entering the individual market in 2011, electing to go with a high deductible medical/vision plan at an HMO. My premiums started at $165 a month, and my husbands at $210. They renewed twice on 1/1 at a modest 3% rate increase.

Due to ACA changes, we just received our 1/1/2014 renewals showing a, gulp, 125% rate increase. We have our annual deductible amounts built into our run rate, and since we have them accrued and haven't used them in two years, we'll allocate that money to the premiums instead. If we need to eventually replace our deductible funds because we need to use them, we have a major item accrual we can use.
Thank you. We have been discussing costs with a broker and company representative. Very helpful.
Old 10-21-2013, 03:18 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanoSour View Post

Hi Nomad. You can find the specifics on our journey here http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...nth-65344.html. So far it's been great. Well at least till last night's depressing loss to the colts. We made a huge life change on several fronts. RE, 3000 mile relocation, new schools, new friends, etc. It's been a busy launch for us with no regrets.

Good luck...Nano
Nano-- thank you. Went back and read your post. Congratulations! Sounds like you are good! Very helpful. Nomad
Old 10-21-2013, 03:26 PM   #15

Welcome RetiredAndFree - we love FIRE here!

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 04:32 PM   #16

Quote:
I've been searching for a site where I don't have to under-represent our FIRE status in order to avoid 'haters.' Most sites seem to focus on how to get to FIRE, not what to do once you arrive. An entirely different set of issues IMHO <snip>

Welcome home.
redduck is offline   Reply With Quote