Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Finally, Age 64 and done :-)
Old 06-07-2018, 12:54 AM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

Finally, Age 64 and done :-)

While not "early" by any measure on this forum, I happily retired from federal service at age 64 on May 31, 2018. I pulled the plug the same month my youngest son graduated from college, coinciding with my 64th birthday.

We all have to decide when that time is right. I'm late to the "early retirement" party, but darn glad to be here! I will draw down IRA's and await "full retirement" age 66 before applying for Social Security.

Retired: U.S. Air Force (1995)
Retired: Commonwealth of Virginia (five years service) 2004
Retired: U.S. Government (Federal Employee Retirement System, 2018)

Bob (Happily not commuting to Washington DC)!
GoWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2018, 02:54 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Earlier than many!

Congratulations.
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Hoping to FIRE in 10 years (when I turn 50)
Old 06-07-2018, 04:17 AM   #3
Confused about dryer sheets

Hoping to FIRE in 10 years (when I turn 50)

Hi! I’m a nurse here in NY, married, mom of 3 (one with Autism, another with ADHD, and the youngest one at 4 years old). I am hoping I can retire when I turn 50 in 10 years but I think the most practical time will be at 58 when my youngest one is done with college.

Is there a formula to use how much we need that adjusts to how many dependents you have when you retire?
RN_Keto_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 04:32 AM   #4

Congrats to GoWest. Every age is great to retire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RN_Keto_Fire View Post
Is there a formula to use how much we need that adjusts to how many dependents you have when you retire?

I'd keep track of expenses in detail for several years, then project into future. There will be deviances and estimations for sure, but each retirement is a very individual issue.
chris2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 04:37 AM   #5
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoWest View Post
I'm late to the "early retirement" party, but darn glad to be here!
Any time you get to choose when to retire and to do it on your own terms, then you aren't late - you are right on time!

Well done. Congratulations!

(Looks like you might have a pension or two in there? Nice!)
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 04:47 AM   #6

Quote:
While not "early" by any measure on this forum, I happily retired from federal service at age 64 on May 31, 2018. I pulled the plug the same month my youngest son graduated from college, coinciding with my 64th birthday.
Congrats!
I might end up like you, retire when I’m 58-60 when my youngest hopefully finished college.
Old 06-07-2018, 04:49 AM   #7

Thanks, Joeea!
It’s a little challenging because children will have varying costs depends on their stages. Right now, they’re racking up my grocery bills, I’m sure when they go to college, they’ll drain my line of credit.
Old 06-07-2018, 04:52 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Hi! I’m a nurse here in NY, married, mom of 3 (one with Autism, another with ADHD, and the youngest one at 4 years old). I am hoping I can retire when I turn 50 in 10 years but I think the most practical time will be at 58 when my youngest one is done with college.

There isn’t a “formula” for dependents that I know of, just means it could take longer to save/accumulate while you do have dependents - like most people. As always you must project retirement spending to calculate how much you’ll need. If you’re planning on 58 when you’ll have no dependents, I’m not sure how dependents will factor in to your retirement spending.

If you want to see what you’d need to retire earlier, assuming you’ll have higher spending until 58, FIRECalc will let you factor in up to three spending decreases after you retire on the Other Income/Spending tab. Or if you donate and become a supporter you can manually enter spending year by year on the Spending Models tab.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 05:16 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
There isn’t a “formula” for dependents that I know of, just means it could take longer to save/accumulate while you do have dependents - like most people. As always you must project retirement spending to calculate how much you’ll need. If you’re planning on 58 when you’ll have no dependents, I’m not sure how dependents will factor in to your retirement spending.
Thank you. My first son has autism and may require more assistance. Hoping my ADHD son will be fine. So even if college will be over for my kids when I’m 58, they may still be dependents for a while. Our millennials kinda overstayed their welcome too in their mommy’s basement - and that’s without Autism and ADHD. ☺️ So I’m preparing for that.
Old 06-07-2018, 06:41 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I'm very happy for you and wish you well in retirement.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 06:46 AM   #11

Congrats on the birthday and retirement- very likely the best Birthday gift you will ever receive!!!

VW
Old 06-07-2018, 07:51 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thank you. My first son has autism and may require more assistance. Hoping my ADHD son will be fine. So even if college will be over for my kids when I’m 58, they may still be dependents for a while. Our millennials kinda overstayed their welcome too in their mommy’s basement - and that’s without Autism and ADHD. ☺️ So I’m preparing for that.
Hopefully my second paragraph answers your question?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
If you want to see what you’d need to retire earlier, assuming you’ll have higher spending until 58, FIRECalc will let you factor in up to three spending decreases after you retire on the Other Income/Spending tab. Or if you donate and become a supporter you can manually enter spending year by year on the Spending Models tab.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 08:06 AM   #13

Quote:

We all have to decide when that time is right. I'm late to the "early retirement" party, but darn glad to be here! I will draw down IRA's and await "full retirement" age 66 before applying for Social Security.

I agree with you. You are a little late. Not on retirement, but on going west! I retired at 63 in the Hampton Roads area of Virginia and was in Colorado with all my stuff in a U-Haul about 5 days later.
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 08:52 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

I wish you many more happy birthdays! Congrats!
TheRunningMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 10:29 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Congratulations! I'm another federal retiree on the FERS system, and my retirement age was not much younger than yours (age 61 for me). This is my 9th year of retirement, and they have been the best 9 years of my life. I hope your retirement is terrific also.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 10:31 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

Congratulations on a well deserved - and sounds like a hard earned - retirement. Best wishes in this new chapter.

— Nomad
Nomad4hire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 11:32 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Congrats on your retirement! Enjoy yourself.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Late, shmate
Old 06-07-2018, 11:49 AM   #18

Late, shmate

Quote:

I'm late to the "early retirement" party, but darn glad to be here!
The only "late" that should be of concern is becoming The Late GoWest before hitting retirement.

Congratulations on reaching the Promised Land. I can't wait to join you!
Old 06-07-2018, 12:17 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Congratulations! (BTW, my youngest son just graduated from college last month too). Enjoy your hard-earned retirement!
“It's a terrible thing, I think, in life to wait until you're ready. I have this feeling now that actually no one is ever ready to do anything. There is almost no such thing as ready. There is only now. And you may as well do it now. Generally speaking, now is as good a time as any.” - Hugh Laurie
mistermike40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 01:23 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Congratulations, GoWest! Enjoy!