Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-05-2011, 01:53 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naniamo
Well,if your still working by choice then that means you COULD retire if you wanted.I personally cannot. a) I have to complete 25 years in my trade and be 55 yrs old,to collect from their "plan".which is currently at 64% attrition.b) still haven't managed to get completely out of debt.I could sell some equities and probably do it but I've got time to pay it down very soon...So there we go get up every morning at 5:00 am for another 10 or so years...
Just put in 25 years myself. And my wife, who is a RN also just put in 25. We both love our jobs and enjoy helping our kids with college expenses. So I would guess we will both go another 10, God willing. We invested mostly in Real estate and are transitioning out. There is a lot of really good investment advice on here which is why I joined. Sounds like you have a plan to eliminate your debt by the time 55 kicks in. Good luck, it will bring a real sense of freedom.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2011, 02:07 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
You mean like the movie where the new prisoner comes on the cellblock of nearly 15,000 convicts, most of them serving life sentences, and tells them how it's gonna be?

Or bringing a couple of bags of books to the local library and saying "Here, this should fix up your ragged catalog!"

I'm not averse to new information. I'd just like to make proper use of the older information as well.
Wow, amazing how two people can read the same post and interpret it totally differently. What I heard was Hello, how can I help you?

Old 06-05-2011, 04:08 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
You mean like the movie where the new prisoner comes on the cellblock of nearly 15,000 convicts, most of them serving life sentences, and tells them how it's gonna be?............
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatordoc50 View Post
Wow, amazing how two people can read the same post and interpret it totally differently. What I heard was Hello, how can I help you?
Or like the guy with 11 posts telling the guy with 21,000 how to interpret a new poster's intentions.
Old 06-05-2011, 05:27 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover

Or like the guy with 11 posts telling the guy with 21,000 how to interpret a new poster's intentions.
I said we interpreted it differently. Yes, I have only a few posts. So tell me, when does the paranoia kick in? 1000?
Old 06-05-2011, 06:29 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I said we interpreted it differently. Yes, I have only a few posts. So tell me, when does the paranoia kick in? 1000?
The lucky ones show it on their first post.
Old 06-05-2011, 08:28 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradMM View Post
I can't say that I was any where near as avid with my study/reading/listening as you but I spent a lot of time with it the past few years. However, I got tired of it absorbing all my free time along with the fear that I might MISS SOMETHING! I became more of a Bogglehead and, just recently, paid a fee only advisor to provide me with an asset allocation plan which turned out to be very conservative (we're nearing retirement). Most of what she was recommending were index funds so I would have been pretty close on my own but I don't have to bear the total responsibility now of how things play out. I would rather do other things with my life but am very interested in making sure we can afford the rest of our lives! If that's how you like spending your days, ENJOY and best of luck!
I understand the pain of keeping up with being an active investor, and I trade less every year.

But one of the benefits of the knowledge gained by reading books on the principles (not the CNBC "latest news") is the confidence to stick with an asset allocation plan through recessions. It's not exactly a talisman, but it gives me a distraction when my itchy trigger finger is hovering over the "Buy" or "Sell" buttons.

Quote:
Nah, usually it kicks in after the hundredth time that a newbie tells you how it's gonna be... like walking into a church service or the library reading room and shouting "Listen up!"

I could be wrong. Naniamo could be the greatest thing for this board since Dory started it. But 99 predecessors (who are no longer with us) have tended to make me skeptical that this is "the one". Especially when one of their vast wells of wisdom is CNBC.

Most people see a discussion board as a research asset, not an audience.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 08:48 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystang52 View Post
I thought the Four Pillars of Investing was the most valuable book I ever read, and fortunately it made financial life a lot simpler for me. ...
Bought it recently based on recommendations here on the board and have it on the "to read" pile...maybe I'll move it up a notch.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 09:24 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradMM View Post
... just recently, paid a fee only advisor to provide me with an asset allocation plan which turned out to be very conservative (we're nearing retirement). Most of what she was recommending were index funds so I would have been pretty close on my own but I don't have to bear the total responsibility now of how things play out. I would rather do other things with my life but am very interested in making sure we can afford the rest of our lives! If that's how you like spending your days, ENJOY and best of luck!
You sure do have to 'bear the total responsibility now of how things play out', it's your money and your decision. Who is bearing this responsibility for you? The advisor? Really? And how is the advisor going to fulfill this responsibility? By covering any losses you may have relative to the market? Nah.

As the old saw goes, "Not to decide is to decide". By not deciding on an AA and a balance of index funds, you left it to an advisor. But you had to decide to choose the advisor. Who says you chose well? Oh, she bought the funds you would have bought? OK, so buy 'em and save the advisor fee. Though, if this was fee only, and a one time deal, not such a big deal, dollar-wise, I guess.

Similar thoughts going on in another thread...

NYT article: Investment advice for small fry

-ERD50
Old 06-05-2011, 09:46 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
I understand the pain of keeping up with being an active investor, and I trade less every year.

But one of the benefits of the knowledge gained by reading books on the principles (not the CNBC "latest news") is the confidence to stick with an asset allocation plan through recessions. It's not exactly a talisman, but it gives me a distraction when my itchy trigger finger is hovering over the "Buy" or "Sell" buttons.

Nah, usually it kicks in after the hundredth time that a newbie tells you how it's gonna be... like walking into a church service or the library reading room and shouting "Listen up!"

I could be wrong. Naniamo could be the greatest thing for this board since Dory started it. But 99 predecessors (who are no longer with us) have tended to make me skeptical that this is "the one". Especially when one of their vast wells of wisdom is CNBC.

I understand your view. It just doesn't bother me if someone feels they have unique knowledge to share. A few years ago some of the so called brightest minds in finance went before Congress and one by one told how they independently arrived at the same business model that brought our country to it's knees. Common, educated knowledge isn't always right.
Old 06-05-2011, 11:49 PM   #30
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Did anyone bring popcorn?

DD
Old 06-05-2011, 11:57 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DblDoc View Post
Did anyone bring popcorn?
I'm pretty sure Porky is loading up the truck as we speak...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 11:27 AM   #32
Confused about dryer sheets

I have read all the post's,should of realized this was not a good forum to start exclaiming knowledge of the investing world.You guys are definitely "in the know".Because a summary of many many years of investing books and practice would reveale that asset allocation is more important that selecting individual stocks.o we are all ion agreement.However,I have this Marcretocracy account with basicalliy monopoly money in last time I checked 60% of my indivual stock were not in the positive,I set this up in 2008 and made a few buys and sells over the years.There was one stock that really sent my account to the stratosphere and that was just a mere selection from Motley Fool or Investors can't remember ,It was Herbal Life,Up 150% but for some reason I had around 1200 share of that puppy in there.I probably wouldn't have bought it with my real acount money since I'm a value investor at heart and it probably had a higher PE.Kind of like Apple did ,that one was in my Markretocracy account but I must of got it late because I only logged 46%.I know it;s all Fake and I can hear you guys now what a waste of time,but just like Fishing or anything else you get better with practice.Or maybe you just stop catching and by fish at the store or buy an index fund since low and behold 60% of my picks were underwater after 3 years.But thanks all for your comment I think we are all on the same page,well i may be on chapter one yet.
Old 06-12-2011, 11:55 AM   #33
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post

Did not see this bus coming,I work 40 hrs a week and still commute.My goal is to be like you guys early enough so I can still get out on the water to fish.Not really meaning to say hey let me teach you, more of, hey,there is a common thread here and I can appreciate what you pulled off.I'm sure we are all in agreement that the more we got working for us to keep or get us there the better.
Old 06-12-2011, 12:00 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by naniamo
I have read all the post's,should of realized this was not a good forum to start exclaiming knowledge of the investing world.You guys are definitely "in the know".Because a summary of many many years of investing books and practice would reveale that asset allocation is more important that selecting individual stocks.o we are all ion agreement.However,I have this Marcretocracy account with basicalliy monopoly money in last time I checked 60% of my indivual stock were not in the positive,I set this up in 2008 and made a few buys and sells over the years.There was one stock that really sent my account to the stratosphere and that was just a mere selection from Motley Fool or Investors can't remember ,It was Herbal Life,Up 150% but for some reason I had around 1200 share of that puppy in there.I probably wouldn't have bought it with my real acount money since I'm a value investor at heart and it probably had a higher PE.Kind of like Apple did ,that one was in my Markretocracy account but I must of got it late because I only logged 46%.I know it;s all Fake and I can hear you guys now what a waste of time,but just like Fishing or anything else you get better with practice.Or maybe you just stop catching and by fish at the store or buy an index fund since low and behold 60% of my picks were underwater after 3 years.But thanks all for your comment I think we are all on the same page,well i may be on chapter one yet.
The last chapter is the same as the first. We can read every book, attend every seminar, but what's the market going to do tomorrow, or the next 1, 5, 20 years. I haven't a clue. To add insult to injury, we are all market timers.
Old 06-12-2011, 03:33 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
To add insult to injury, we are all market timers.
IMO, that's a good thing. In our modern Greenspan/Bernanke era, valuations get pushed around a lot. If you sell, you likely have to pay tax, and that is an important consideration, but better than being reset to start or below start every few years.

Ha