Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
FIRE by Trial
Old 08-01-2016, 12:03 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 381
FIRE by Trial

I just resigned. We had several re-orgs at my MegaCorp in past three months and my role from global was changed to local customer base. Worst of all was last Friday when I got paid for end of July and found out by surprise that my base salary was cut by 8% and that too was retroactive from July 1st! No one communicated pay cut through out last three months and through five diff managers in just three months. I knew and found out once again that loyalty is one way street in Corporate America. I felt insulted the way I was treated after 7+ years at this MegaCorp so I just handed in my resignation with two weeks notice.
Not the way I wanted to end my career but it's what it is! Thank god that my skills are very marketable but I will not be actively looking and consider my self FIREd.

My plan is simple.
- 3M AA split 65/35....will change to 60/40 soon
- Withdraw 3% every year ---> 90K
- DW's part time consulting..30 Hrs/Month will bring in 30K/yr
- 80K is essential expense and rest is discretionary

Our daughter has four more years of college left. Twin boys will attend college in six years. Education is fully funded and not in that 3M. DW will continue her part time job for six years. Will then re-evaluate WR in six years when DW stops working.

My taxable investment generates 60K yield so in worst case I'll withdraw 30K from short term muni bond for coming six years assuming all downhill from here.

Will need to figure out health insurance. Planning to use COBRA for rest of the year.

Yes...I'm scared! But will deal with it as it unfolds!
__________________

__________________
Retired at age 52 on 12/1/2016
AA:60/40 WR:3% until 2022 then 4% is the plan
retire2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2016, 12:07 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,169
Looks like your twin just retired and posted here too!
__________________

__________________
splitwdw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 02:17 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Coronado
Posts: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by retire2020 View Post
...Worst of all was last Friday when I got paid for end of July to find my base salary was cut by 8% and that too was retroactive from July 1st!...
It is illegal to change an employee's salary retroactively. You should point this out to your payroll department, and if the response is not to immediately fix the problem, file a wage claim with your state's department of labor.

I assume that one of your managers was supposed to notify you of this at the time they told you about the change in responsibility, but it probably fell through the cracks. Unless they can prove that you were told, you should have a good case to get your previous pay rate for July.
__________________
cathy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 03:02 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 381
I asked the same question to my new manager of one week that is it even legal to cut employee's pay without even communicating to him. She offered me her apology that she should have done that but missed as she also had entire new team reporting to her. She is a very nice person and my action about my pay cut would only put her in trouble. I would like to remember first seven years with MegaCorp and forget the last three.
__________________
Retired at age 52 on 12/1/2016
AA:60/40 WR:3% until 2022 then 4% is the plan
retire2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 03:49 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 328
I think you are going to be OK, the only challenge is med insurance after the COBRA, may be ACA will provide it. Most major corporations (if not all)are cutting their expenses without any regard to loyalty and past great results, especially in difficult economic times.
__________________
VFK57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 04:07 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Sunset's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,597
Quote:
Originally Posted by retire2020 View Post
I asked the same question to my new manager of one week that is it even legal to cut employee's pay without even communicating to him. She offered me her apology that she should have done that but missed as she also had entire new team reporting to her. She is a very nice person and my action about my pay cut would only put her in trouble. I would like to remember first seven years with MegaCorp and forget the last three.
She is snowing you.
It does not come out of her pocket.
I missed what you said you got as severance pay ?

Her feeling good/bad does not pay your phone bill and assuming a random number like you make $6,000 per month , then 8% is $480 - that is a lot of phone bills.

And now I see she was your manager for 1 week. It's not her fault, it's fault of higher up, and they should pay.
__________________
Sunset is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 04:16 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
38Chevy454's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Tijeras (Albuquerque), NM
Posts: 1,412
X2 to go to HR and make them pay you. What do you care, they screwed you and now you are leaving. So make them pay up. Megacorp will not miss the money, but you certainly do.

Oh yeah, congrats on being in good financial position that you can FIRE, and not be forced to accept the megacorp BS.
__________________
After Monday & Tuesday even the calendar says, W-T-F...

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/16 changed to 80%]
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 04:39 PM   #8
Moderator
MBAustin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
...congrats on being in good financial position that you can FIRE, and not be forced to accept the megacorp BS.
+1

Good for you to go out on your own terms. Plan something fun for the first few w*rkdays that you don't have to.
__________________
"One of the funny things about the stock market is that every time one person buys, another sells, and both think they are astute." William Feather
----------------------------------
ER'd Oct. 2010 at 53. Life is good.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 05:05 PM   #9
Moderator
rodi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: San Diego
Posts: 7,930
I'd say you're good financially.

But I agree with pursuing undoing the retroactive, un-notified, paycut. It's not your most recent manager's fault/issue - since she was only in the chain for 1 week.... You should have been notified July 1st or sooner.

If you got severance - make sure it uses the previous pay rate (before paycut) as a basis. Same with any unpaid vacation hours.

The company sound excessively slimey.
__________________
Retired June 2014. No longer an enginerd - now I'm just a nerd.
micro pensions 7%, rental income 18%
rodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 05:34 PM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Onward's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,581
I LOVE the title of this thread.
__________________
And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know.
Onward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 07:22 PM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.
Markola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 515
Wow, what management chaos. Congratulations on having created your own parachute and deploying it with your sanity intact. Your megacorp wouldn't happen to start with "Ya" and end with "hoo" would it? . Sounds awful!


Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
__________________
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 05:17 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 381
Thank you all for your comments! 8% comes out to be about 14K/yr. No severance offered as I am resigning. I'll still ask for severance but do not have any hope. Its me vs MegaCorp so no surprise who will win! My MegaCorp is not Yahoo but an elephant size IT company with about 400K employees world wide..
Last 32 years of LBYM and disciplined savings made me FI and it feels great to just walk out. Only time will tell if that was a right decision but right now I've no double thoughts about my decision.
__________________
Retired at age 52 on 12/1/2016
AA:60/40 WR:3% until 2022 then 4% is the plan
retire2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 05:36 AM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.
Golden sunsets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 631
Is it possible that you are victim of age descrimination? I don't see your age stated.


Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
__________________
Golden sunsets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 06:44 AM   #14
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 1,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by retire2020 View Post
I just resigned. We had several re-orgs at my MegaCorp in past three months and my role from global was changed to local customer base. Worst of all was last Friday when I got paid for end of July and found out by surprise that my base salary was cut by 8% and that too was retroactive from July 1st! No one communicated pay cut through out last three months and through five diff managers in just three months. I knew and found out once again that loyalty is one way street in Corporate America. I felt insulted the way I was treated after 7+ years at this MegaCorp so I just handed in my resignation with two weeks notice.
Not the way I wanted to end my career but it's what it is! Thank god that my skills are very marketable but I will not be actively looking and consider my self FIREd.

My plan is simple.
- 3M AA split 65/35....will change to 60/40 soon
- Withdraw 3% every year ---> 90K
- DW's part time consulting..30 Hrs/Month will bring in 30K/yr
- 80K is essential expense and rest is discretionary

Our daughter has four more years of college left. Twin boys will attend college in six years. Education is fully funded and not in that 3M. DW will continue her part time job for six years. Will then re-evaluate WR in six years when DW stops working.

My taxable investment generates 60K yield so in worst case I'll withdraw 30K from short term muni bond for coming six years assuming all downhill from here.

Will need to figure out health insurance. Planning to use COBRA for rest of the year.

Yes...I'm scared! But will deal with it as it unfolds!

Ditto re: retroactive cut in salary. Don't you have a contract or employment agreement? I wouldn't care if the new manager is nice or not. It was her job to make it right. I agree with going to HR about this. And going to the state department of labor.

Many of us here buy our own insurance on our own or through ACA. It's all pretty darn expensive and the costs seem to be going up astronomically. But it is easy to get. Start looking into it now. You can browse the plans and compare to your COBRA costs. BTW, you don't have to pay for COBRA immediately, you have 60 days, or until you first use it. It's too bad you didn't wait until Monday. You would likely have coverage until the end of the month.

My last day was Sunday, and my assets and spending are the same as yours. I have been ready for this for years. Once the shock wears off, you'll begin to enjoy your freedom.

Hanging around here helps a lot too.


Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
__________________
EastWest Gal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 07:01 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
Ditto re: retroactive cut in salary. Don't you have a contract or employment agreement? I wouldn't care if the new manager is nice or not. It was her job to make it right. I agree with going to HR about this. And going to the state department of labor.

Many of us here buy our own insurance on our own or through ACA. It's all pretty darn expensive and the costs seem to be going up astronomically. But it is easy to get. Start looking into it now. You can browse the plans and compare to your COBRA costs. BTW, you don't have to pay for COBRA immediately, you have 60 days, or until you first use it. It's too bad you didn't wait until Monday. You would likely have coverage until the end of the month.

My last day was Sunday, and my assets and spending are the same as yours. I have been ready for this for years. Once the shock wears off, you'll begin to enjoy your freedom.

Hanging around here helps a lot too.


Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
I'm an employee and not aware of any agreement. will need to look into. Thanks for the info on 60 days COBRA period. I did wait until Monday and resigned with two weeks notice so 8/15 is my last day at MegaCorp.
__________________
Retired at age 52 on 12/1/2016
AA:60/40 WR:3% until 2022 then 4% is the plan
retire2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 07:02 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden sunsets View Post
Is it possible that you are victim of age descrimination? I don't see your age stated.


Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
I do not think so. I'm 51. Multiple re-org and I am one of their victims regardless of age. There are many in the same boat and hanging around because they can not afford to quit. Whether were the communicated about the cut I do not know.
__________________
Retired at age 52 on 12/1/2016
AA:60/40 WR:3% until 2022 then 4% is the plan
retire2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 08:32 AM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.
Philliefan33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 603
I also agree that you need to pursue the "retroactive pay cut" situation. Do not let Megacorp get away with that.

Because of your good planning, you are in the position of not needing the higher pay for July. But would you rather the money line some executive's pocket? If you won't do it for yourself, think of the co-workers you are leaving behind. They probably need the retroactive pay more than you do, but are not in a position to jeopardize their job by making waves.
__________________
Philliefan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 08:45 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets
Johnora's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Idaho
Posts: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by retire2020 View Post
Thank you all for your comments! 8% comes out to be about 14K/yr. No severance offered as I am resigning. I'll still ask for severance but do not have any hope. Its me vs MegaCorp so no surprise who will win! My MegaCorp is not Yahoo but an elephant size IT company with about 400K employees world wide..
Last 32 years of LBYM and disciplined savings made me FI and it feels great to just walk out. Only time will tell if that was a right decision but right now I've no double thoughts about my decision.
Well done, well played, well prepared!!
__________________
FIRE'd 3/1/2017 age 52 - Pension w/ COLA - all other retirement accounts A/A 86/14 - previous net income (cash flow) each month funded at 101% - SWD currently 1.1%
Johnora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 08:53 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets
Aerides's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 420
Any manager at any Mega that was doing something as big as widespread wage cuts was told repeatedly by HR and her leaders that all staff had to be informed by X date. She was also asked to confirm all staff were communicated to by X date, probably both to HR and her boss.

So you didn't slip through the cracks. She just blew it and probably not just you but many people. She might be nice, but she's possibly incompetent and probably lied more than once saying she had done all the talks.

I get the feeling it wasn't even widespread, and just a surgical few - or you would have heard it from your peers. If I wasn't told officially, my grapevine would have lit up. You aren't being told the whole truth and should pursue via HR. 8% of a 6 weeks isn't nothing. It's going to cover at least a month or two of cobra...
__________________
Aerides is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 09:16 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 381
You all convinced me. I will approach HR/Payroll about un informed retroactive pay cut.


Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
__________________

__________________
Retired at age 52 on 12/1/2016
AA:60/40 WR:3% until 2022 then 4% is the plan
retire2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Update on 3 month trial by FIRE petershk Hi, I am... 23 06-08-2016 03:50 PM
Free 30-day trial: Consumer Reports Orchidflower Other topics 1 03-25-2008 06:24 PM
Enron Trial Verdict REWahoo Other topics 52 05-31-2006 12:56 PM
Kenny Boy goes to trial in January. Nords Other topics 0 10-11-2005 02:34 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:50 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.