Join Early Retirement Today

FIRE early but still too busy (33 in Toronto)
Old 05-05-2019, 06:35 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

FIRE early but still too busy (33 in Toronto)

Hi everyone!
I am relatively new to retirement but I find I still feel really busy. I managed to retire last year at the age of 32, and my wife retired two years before I did.

The biggest thing I came to this forum to look into is how long it takes people to settle into retirement. I still feel busier than I'de really like to and I assume its because I haven't figured out how to slow down yet.

I think my busy-ness makes sense but I just want to wander around and see if my theory is correct. Largely I blame it on my 2 kids (2.5yo and 0.5yo). One is in daycare and the other isn't. Saying I blame it on them sounds bad but I love being with them. I just still find I never read or play video games like I thought I would be doing.

I did start a blog about the journey, because I legitimately like writing and helping people. I do wonder if that's a stupid thing to do since there are a lot of finance blogs around and its time consuming :|

Also full disclosure I work 1 day a week, I dont think that really makes me feel busy since 6 days a week are so busy I imagine a 7th wouldnt change anything. I just mention is in case it disqualifies me from saying im retired. I mostly do it to stay attached to the interesting work I came from...just without the soul crushing overwork.

Leif is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2019, 11:29 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
It took me 3 years to really slow down and reconnect with more important things. You might take longer with the young children. And I predict you will leave the one day at work behind in the same time-frame. I resigned from 3 Boards at the 3-year mark. i.e. really retired.

Old 05-06-2019, 12:00 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

I can imagine that at 33 years old, you have much more usable energy, and strength than most of us, and can still get out there and play, just like the kids do. Enjoy your free time with your children, but I must ask before others do. If you are both retired, why use daycare ?
ckelly78z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 12:14 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

OK, well a quick look at your blog tells me you work one day a week at your regular job, have rental properties and also do interviews in media about retiring by investing in rental RE. You have a blog with a lot of links, where clicks apparently bring you extra money.

You also have an infant and a toddler. So are you really wondering why you don't have spare time or is something else going on here, are you looking for blog clicks since you do have a direct link to your blog in your profile. If you are that's fine with me, you are not retired ..you are a guy with several side jobs and two small children...so busy would pretty much describe your life..
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 12:20 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
RE. You have a blog with a lot of links, where clicks apparently bring you extra money.

...are you looking for blog clicks since you do have a direct link to your blog in your profile.
Yep, flog that blog...

Charter resident of the lumpen slums of cyberspace

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 07:49 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Multiple rental properties, financial blog, regular interviews, and working one day a week doesn't sound like you're really retired. You've adjusted your work schedule. That said, kids of those ages, might make me want to retire!