Join Early Retirement Today
Old 03-30-2009, 10:20 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
In case anyone is wondering about other pets, our kid is moving out in about 520 days but her rabbit is disgustingly healthy. He's probably pushing eight years old by now (we got him from the humane society) and could easily go another 3-4 years. We've even seen 14-year-old bunnies...
Yes, but who's counting?

I am a big rabbit person myself, although I don't have one (I'm not home much, and a bunny would get lonely; not to mention chew on all my electronics/electric cabling.) Your bunny could live to sixteen or seventeen; a friend of mine has a healthy, happy Flemish Giant who was born when Bill Clinton was inaugurated. Eats as much as a small elephant, too.

If you do decide on about day 550 that having a house rabbit is too much, please look up your local chapter of the House Rabbit Society or Humane Society about outplacement; but my bet is, you'll fall in love with him even more once your daughter has left home. They really are delightful creatures, and bloom with friendly interaction.

Edit: I see you got him from the Humane Society. Full credit to you for adopting; you gave a home to a fellow creature who was likely abandoned by someone who didn't know how much upkeep a "cute little bunny" can turn out to be.

Lawrence of Suburbia is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2009, 08:24 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I don't mind leaving my dog at the (very expensive) kennel while I travel. He likes it there with the other dogs to play with and I think we both appreciate the separate vacations!

Oldbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 09:45 PM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.
What a timely post! I have a cat and dog both about 14. The dog is the biggest anchor. She is blind diabetic and has a heart issues. I give her 5 pills a day. 3 of them twice a day. And of course I give her an insulin shot twice a day. I have not spent a night away since I've retired in 2007! The cat takes one pill twice a day. I figure the dog has too many issues to leave anywhere. But she still loves her food and walks. I found her 7 years ago, abandoned. According to the vet she was about 7 then. I've decided although I've had pets all my life, NO MORE!
mountaintosea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 06:41 PM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
One of the nice things about moving out here to the meta-boonies is the incredibly cheap but excellent kennel we've found. Maybe 1/3 the cost of when we were in Northern VA. The lady who runs it is super. Back before we put our old guy (17) down last October we had no problems leaving him and the other 3 with her, even with the multi-meds and the minor siezures. We'd come pick them up after a week and they acted like kids who've been to summer camp.
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement." - Will Rogers
DW and I - FIREd at 50 (7/06), living off assets
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 07:35 PM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Two dogs, one cat - but the toughest guy to 'bond' with is Leroy the sucker fish - he's is the only guy to survive the 2007 ice storm power outage - all the rest of the fish(38 gal tank) are replacements.

He'll probably never get the love/respect he deserves - tough ugly ole buzzard.

We've been lucky with house sitters since 2005(post Katrina) when going on vacation/cruises. Three have been our neighbors at various times.

heh heh heh - Good neighborhood here also.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 08:12 PM   #46
No dogs, no cats, no birds, fish, horses, or hamsters... I don't even have a potted plant.

And so far, I don't have the travel bug. Just want to move north.

"You can never cross the ocean until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore." - - - C. Columbus
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote