Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-05-2016, 10:28 PM   #61
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Hmmm...

I wonder if the OP, Bogaigh, was the "hypothetical friend" that Eyesman described in the only thread that he started in 2013. In other words, Bogaigh and Eyesman "know" each other? And it appears that Bogaigh did quit his easy job, and is now bored.

See: http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ml#post1273838
You can wonder all you want. The main reason I'm responding to this thread is because of the OP's discovery of his life being meaningless. However, with his discovery comes despair and sadness. This resonated with me because when I discovered that my life was meaningless, I was left with freedom to do what I want to do instead of worrying about what I supposed to do.

By the way, hypothetical man is still working almost 4 years later. He is still having fun with work, so he keeps plugging along. Perhaps 3 more years, but it's all gravy now. He no longer works because he has to. He works because he chooses to. Thanks for remembering. That was a very helpful post for me and I do revisit that thread and reread the many generous words of advice I received.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2016, 05:47 AM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuirWannabe View Post
Troll

But he brought out all the 'helpful' responses such as:
- read atheist philosophers
- play with cats
- avoid religion at all costs

Perhaps seeking therapy is in order assuming this is real.

I think my favorite so far was the life is meaningless yet life is glorious comments all in the same post.
I hope we're both wrong but I got halfway through #1 post and thought the same thing.
Old 11-06-2016, 07:46 AM   #63
Full time employment: Posting here.

Depression may strike any person regardless of your employment status. Sometimes you can deal with it by changing your life style, reviewing /changing priorities, may be going back to full or part time work etc. Yet if it does not work, it is better to look for a professional help.
Old 11-06-2016, 08:22 AM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
I hope we're both wrong but I got halfway through #1 post and thought the same thing.
I never really think about trolls. But I hate when a very personally oriented thread is started and then the poster never returns. That is why if I make a comment, it is usually short. My last comment on this thread unless the original poster chooses to reply.
Old 11-06-2016, 08:33 AM   #65
Moderator Emeritus

I thought maybe troll at C-level retirement and (eta: OP did not say this--oops) tens of millions but live in the same 3/2 house, but I don't mind having responded--even trolls can suffer devastating depression. If he gets help he can live to troll another thread!
Old 11-06-2016, 08:57 AM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Even if he trolled, this is still a fun thread and does not cause anybody any aggravation. No? Yes?

By the way, be sure to check out the past thread referenced in my post #60 above.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 11-06-2016, 08:57 AM   #67
Dryer sheet aficionado

I find the knowledge that life is meaningless to be very comforting. Really takes the stress out of it.
Old 11-06-2016, 08:59 AM   #68
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I thought maybe troll at C-level retirement and tens of millions but live in the same 3/2 house, but I don't mind having responded--even trolls can suffer devastating depression. If he gets help he can live to troll another thread!
The tens of millions part of the original post made me think troll also. Combine that with no more activity from OP and he/she may be off finding entertainment elsewhere.
Old 11-06-2016, 09:00 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Me too, but it's a helpful thread because, troll or not, some of us can identify.

What I find meaningful in all the meaninglessness is "my people".

For me, it's easy to spend a few long seconds per special person before I get out of bed, being grateful for having them in my life. Not saying the relationships are perfect, but just appreciating what good there is. And it's easy to spend a few short seconds being grateful for random people that pop into my head. It's kind of like loving kindness meditation, but without the bit of mysticism. Puts the day on nice trajectory, even though I've "forgotten" that couple of minutes of thought before I'm done brushing my teeth.
Old 11-06-2016, 09:14 AM   #70
Recycles dryer sheets

Yes, I like this thread because of all the responses.

Definitely the reason I hang out here besides a college forum.
Old 11-06-2016, 09:47 AM   #71
Give me a forum ...

You say 'helpful' like you think it's not!

Quote:
Troll

But he brought out all the 'helpful' responses such as:

- play with cats

Old 11-06-2016, 10:37 AM   #72
Full time employment: Posting here.

Send a message via ICQ to hesperus Send a message via AIM to hesperus Send a message via Yahoo to hesperus
Quote:
Troll

I tend to agree.
Old 11-06-2016, 10:48 AM   #73

Quote:
I FIRED in 2013 at age 46. I have a wife and two daughters age 10 and 13. I have more than enough money by any calculation (tens of millions).
That's what tore it for me. Anybody who's still walking around and has that kind of money shouldn't be complaining. If they do they should just be slapped. Obviously either a chain yanker or a true mental case
Old 11-06-2016, 10:56 AM   #74
Give me a forum ...

This happens every so often. Troll or not (most likely the former), it takes people's attention from more depressing current issues.

One heck of a diversion, I'll say. Look how popular this thread is.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 11-06-2016, 11:02 AM   #75

I have to admit this forum gets more entertaining trolls than most.
Old 11-06-2016, 11:04 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I have to admit this forum gets more entertaining trolls than most.
Are there other forums who get trolls complaining while they have tens of millions of dollars?
Old 11-06-2016, 11:05 AM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Dunno. This is the only forum I frequent.

Old 11-06-2016, 11:06 AM   #78

I think that activities that dissolve our sense of self get us out of that funk, and the degree to which we can get out is infinite (though we tend to settle for much less. )

As Dogen said:

"To study the way is to study the self. To study the self is to forget the self. To forget the self is to be actualized by myriad things. When actualized by myriad things, your body and mind as well as the bodies and minds of others drop away. No trace of realization remains, and this no-trace continues endlessly."
Old 11-06-2016, 11:09 AM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Walked along the beach today, sat in the sunshine and happily watched the wild Monk parakeets......didn't care a rodent's rectum about anything.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Old 11-06-2016, 11:27 AM   #80
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by razztazz View Post
That's what tore it for me. Anybody who's still walking around and has that kind of money shouldn't be complaining. If they do they should just be slapped. Obviously either a chain yanker or a true mental case

I have no idea whether the OP is a troll or not. I would only be guessing. But I do not agree with the notion that anyone who has a lot of money "shouldn't be complaining" and that if they express dissatisfaction with life they are "either a chain yanker or a true mental case." It is nice to have a lot of money, but it is not a panacea. Even people who have a lot of money can be dissatisfied with the quality of their life, question the meaning of their lives, or suffer from depression (an illness that does not care how much money you have).

I can understand how someone who is not very wealthy might look at a very wealthy person and say "if I had your money, I would be entirely happy and would not complain about anything." But then I can equally understand a very wealthy person saying "maybe I thought I would be happy if I only had a lot of money, but now that I have a lot of money I am still not happy."

As I read through this discussion again, it occurs to me that I do not care whether the OP was a troll or not. Either way, he has spurred an interesting discussion.
Closed Thread