FIREd lawyer, 6 months in

Bobbi

Confused about dryer sheets
Hello everyone, I've been reading this board for about a year. About 6 months ago, I retired from Megacorp after more than 25 years there. I've gotten a lot of good advice on this board, the most important tidbit being to delay your announcement as long as possible. I struggled with that, but it paid off.

What do I do all day? Sometimes, not much. I play a lot of golf, read, knit, and take naps. I'm also working on clearing the house of junk. This is much harder than I thought it would be. I've sold some items on Craigslist, donated some to Salvation Army and the like, and put stuff out on the curb. I cook more, and I shop at the farmers markets for local produce. I've taken some good trips, too.

Many people react negatively to my ER (I'm 55), they predict "You'll find something." I hope not!

Right now I'm looking for a drawing class. Anyone have any experience with "Drawing from the right side of the brain" (not sure that is exact).

DH also reads and sometimes posts on the board. (hi!)

Thanks for all the good info.

:cool:

Hi Bobbi... I have the book Drawing from the Right Side of the Brain. I haven't read it since I retired tho. Would you believe that right before I retired, I really didn't have too much to do at work....that's when I bought the book.:D and practiced... I need to look at it again.

I laugh at the people who react negatively they are usually the biggest complainers about their job .

Welcome to the board ,

Hi Bobbi. Welcome to the boards. Now Martha will have another FIREd lawyer to chat with.

I know that my local community college has a wide range of drawing classes starting from "how to draw if you have never drawn before." I would recommend them first followed by the local art supply center.

Glad you are enjoying yourself.

Hi Bobbi,

My wife and I are lawyers, too, who hope to retire in the next few years; sounds like you have a good retirement schedule. It's been a while since we had someone in our family take drawing lessons, but I believe the Monart Art Method uses right brain functions to teach drawing -- this might be effective for children -- don't know how it works for adults.

Right now I'm looking for a drawing class. Anyone have any experience with "Drawing from the right side of the brain" (not sure that is exact).

:cool:
I was a stick figure guy and found "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain" to be an excellent introduction to basic observational drawing skills. I also took a drawing course at a local Arts workshop shortly after I retired and enjoyed it. Here is my first pencil sketch of my eyes (following instructions in the "Right Side" book) and my first eye (not mine) on a computer using Painter software. Edit: I see they posted in reverse order.

Attachments

• eyespencil.jpg
    eyespencil.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 127
  • eye2.jpg
    eye2.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 2
Drawing Class as CLE

Thanks for all the suggestions. Chris C, DH is also a lawyer and posts on this board. I'll let him introduce himself.

donheff, love the eyes. I ordered Drawing from the Right Side of the Brain, and the workbook, and I am waiting for my amazon delivery. I'm also waiting for delivery of two new golf clubs (wedges), so you see I have a number of distractions.

The community education program of our local school district offers only painting this semester. Our art supply house has the perfect four week course, but I will miss the first week due to a previous commitment to an out of town football game. I am a lapsed cartoonist, and I find my drawing skills have deteriorated over 25+ years of corporate repressed doodling.

I am a longtime fan of Lynda Barry, and I took her course, "writing the unthinkable", which I would recommend to anyone.

None of this fulfills my CLE requirement. I have 10 or so hours left to complete in the next few months.

Back
Top Bottom