Join Early Retirement Today

First Post - Newly "Retired"
Old 04-24-2008, 02:15 PM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

First Post - Newly "Retired"

I have been a member here for quite a while - just reading and trying to learn, but never got around to posting. However, 3 weeks ago a new company completed the acquisition of ours and now, after 30 years of service, I suddenly found myself heading for 'instant retirement'.

Given that I just turned 62, I'm sure many here will say "so what"? You should be ready to retire anyway. Yeah, I know, but I had planned on maybe working a couple more years. It is just such a shock, initially. Now however, working out a 90 day "transition" contract, I'm beginning to look forward to the idea, so am looking forward to hearing from others. TIA
fnewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2008, 02:28 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm sorry you couldn't leave on your own terms, but sometimes things happen for the best. Enjoy your new found retirement!
Old 04-24-2008, 02:46 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

As long as all your ducks are in a row concerning funds and health insurance....you are going to love the freedom to do as you please!

Congrats and good luck
Old 04-24-2008, 06:51 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Best of luck. You deserve it after so many years of service with the same company.
FreeAtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 07:40 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Glad you finally "decloaked" and posted after 18 months on the board. We encourage everyone to post as they feel comfortable doing so.

Happy to hear you are retired but I am sorry about the situation that led to it. It is always better to be able to do it on your own terms. I did it twice and both times were on my own terms. It makes you feel empowered but does not change the result...you will soon be retired and won't have to spend another day of your life doing things for "the man". It is a mind-altering concept for many. Freedom at its basic form.

If you have not prepared mentally for retirement you should do so soon. Some folks just have a harder time adjusting to not having a rigid schedule anymore and missing some of the social aspects of the j*b. Find out what you will miss most and find a way to fill that vacuum with something else. Volunteer activities are usually a win win situation.

Hopefully, you are financially set to retire and have your insurance covered for the next few years. If there is a spouse or SO involved there are some adjustments there too.

Good luck and welcome to the "other" side of the board.
Old 04-25-2008, 06:17 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Welcome to the board. As I am not re-tired yet (just tired), I look forward to reading about your experience. Good luck!

R
Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 07:11 AM   #7
Dryer sheet wannabe

Thanks for all the encouraging replies. While I am still working my way through all the paperwork that necessarily comes with such a transformation, I am definitely starting to look forward to a different style of life while still staying busy with my 90 day, 30 hour per week, contract at the j*b.

Financially, we should be ok - thankfully, through the foresight of the company's previous owners, I am able to keep the same health insurance package until 65 with the company picking up most of the cost. That, along with a defined benefit pehsion plan and a fairly good 401(k) and no debt should allow us to enjoy a decent lifestyle. In addition, I definitely plan to find something to do part time - I'm just not ready to quit entirely.

As time allows, I will definitely be spending more time here - learning for those who have become experts at living well !! Thanks
fnewman is offline   Reply With Quote