Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Fort Lauderdale area: need real estate advice
Old 09-06-2014, 01:42 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Fort Lauderdale area: need real estate advice

Happy Saturday.

Long time since I've posted here...

I'm looking for guides on investment properties in the FL area. I've been to the FL/Miami area ~5 times and have always thought it would be a great place to settle/ER one day (especially FL).

To that end, I would like to explore property investment opportunities in the FL area. e.g.
1. Good/Reputable FL real estate contacts or websites
2. Experiences from folks here on FL investment properties.
3. Any other feedback. e.g. other nice areas on the coast around Fort Lauderdale
4. My 'budget' would be limited to around $1M max (200-300k downpayment)

I would only go forward with this plan if I would at least break even on a month to month basis. Also, I'd like to invest in an area where I would like to ER (read: within a few blocks of the ocean). I'm not limited to Fort Lauderdale, but havent explored all the areas nearby.
I'm open to either house or condo, but think condo would be perfect for ER even with a HOA?: less hassle, more amenities, pool, better protected in hurricane etc

If it matters, i'm in California at present and hope to ER/part time etc within the next 15 years (when I'm ~50 yrs old).

Thank you very much for your time and insights.
WRE
Wannaretireearly Posts: 503Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:39 pm Top
patela6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2014, 03:22 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Elevation and drainage is everything. Ask the neighbors about the water situation and past problem. Many older home dow there regularly have their streets and yard flood, within feet of their home.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
dallas27 is offline   Reply With Quote