Join Early Retirement Today

Re: From a "retired" nomadpreneur on a Pacific island!
Old 03-30-2007, 08:43 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

After more digging, it seems that there is no US federal income tax in Saipan, but the local government collects something like it and rebates most of it. Hmmm!

It seems that Saipan is a beautiful little island, but there may be a few flies in the ointment: :P

http://www.saipansucks.com/

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2007, 11:58 PM   #22
Dryer sheet wannabe

Forgot to mention....if you'd like another great overview of life on Saipan covering everything from politics to people to partying, from a young man educated in the states and who actually lives here,

check out Angelo's blog, "TheSaipanBlogger" at www.jetapplicant.blogspot.com

(Angelo has the most popular, most quoted and most visited site about Saipan, and has a tremendous amount of influence on the reality and perception of life here.)
Old 03-31-2007, 12:34 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan

Walt

I have very little interest in Saipan. But I am very pleased to read your submissions. Very eloquent and thought-provoking. We have chosen PV MX for our retirement destination but are tied to being caregivers for our 91yo MIL for the time being.

Many of the issues of separation which you handle we have been anticipating. We are already retired so we have already begun our mental journey away from some former working associates. I am 2000 miles away from sons and grandkids but flights rectify that gap quite easily.

Thanks for finding us.
Keith
Old 04-01-2007, 07:44 PM   #24
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan
Walt

Thanks for finding us.
Keith
hey Keith,
the fortune is all mine! I'm excited to be a part of this. The entire concept of early retirement (with the added suggestion of using one's passion to facilitiate it) is one which I heartily endorse, so finding an entire community of like-minded thinkers is pretty cool!

I've posted info about "us" on my blog and sent an email of some of the great feedback I've gotten to a number of people here on Saipan and back in the states.

W
Old 04-02-2007, 09:09 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by walt23
...I've posted info about "us" on my blog and sent an email of some of the great feedback I've gotten to a number of people here on Saipan and back in the states.

W
Nice Blog Walt. As an electrical engineer, I retired from big business in 1992. Started a management consulting company and did business reengineering as Operations executive in several companies, then founded a mobile POS company which we sold in 2002. Really retired in Aug02. So far so good. 3.8%SWR aiming at 3.5%

Island fever will keep my away from Saipan and Hawaii but PV MX looks good for 6 months each year (currently 2 months).
Old 04-02-2007, 03:09 PM   #26
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Nice Blog Walt. As an electrical engineer, I retired from big business in 1992. Started a management consulting company and did business reengineering as Operations executive in several companies, then founded a mobile POS company which we sold in 2002. Really retired in Aug02. So far so good. 3.8%SWR aiming at 3.5%

Island fever will keep my away from Saipan and Hawaii but PV MX looks good for 6 months each year (currently 2 months).
Thanks!

You'll forgive my ignorance...Island fever? Please explain.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:18 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by walt23
You'll forgive my ignorance...Island fever? Please explain.
Island Fever, a variation of Cabin Fever for northern residents in snowy climates, is the desire to hop in your car and drive in a straight line for 500 miles. On one trip to Oahu, I rented a motorcycle and did the whole island one day. The next day I had nothing to do. I understand that venturing out on the surf can mitigate this. I found that renting a sailboat with crew helped in St Lucia.

For short periods, it is no problem (same as Cabin fever). It is clearly not a big problem for most of us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
"Island Fever" is also used to define that isolated feeling that individuals living on an island experience
Old 04-03-2007, 12:09 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
On one trip to Oahu, I rented a motorcycle and did the whole island one day.
I've never experienced Rock Fever although I can understand the phenomenon. I guess spending 90+ days on a submarine, where the farthest distance your eyes can focus on is only about 90 feet, would make you even less happy.

And when one accident can gridlock the entire island during rush hour, with people abandoning their cars or sleeping in them overnight and using the shoulders as impromptu toilets, the island starts to get pretty darn big. But at least the jams can't get any longer than a dozen or so miles, and I remember Washington DC & northern VA used to be far worse.

I had no fear driving 7000 ton submarines all over the ocean. But coming back from a patrol and having to drive my car home, while adapting my eyes to "normal" vision, was a pretty terrifying experience. Sometimes it took as long as 20-30 days of leave to help me adjust!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 01:22 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Yes Nords I have claustrophobia. I have not even entered a sub when touring the Marine exhibits. In elevators, I am good for about 30 seconds, then go down hill from there.

Compared to that, Island Fever is a walk in the park. I am told that people who spent a lot of time on The Prairies have more difficulty with it. I spent 8 years in a prairie town, and that was when I made my first trip to Hawaii.

The worst was St Lucia because even the 21-mile road from Castries to Vieux Forte was a 3-hour drive on a plantation road! Jamaica was the best island (not that I recommend it for anything else).
Old 04-03-2007, 03:18 PM   #30
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Compared to that, Island Fever is a walk in the park.

The worst was St Lucia because even the 21-mile road from Castries to Vieux Forte was a 3-hour drive on a plantation road! Jamaica was the best island (not that I recommend it for anything else).
LOL. I guess you might indeed experience Island Fever here as Saipan (12.5 miles x 5.5 miles; 46sq miles)&#160; is a lot smaller even than Jamaica (4,411 square miles) where I grew up, and which I could recommend for a whole lot more! :-)

But I guess it really boils down to what you're accustomed to. I recall friends in the states asking me if sunshine year-round growing up didn't get boring after a while. Being from an island where warm weather is the 365-24-7 norm (except for the occasional hurricane), you accept it as just the way it is. One's "excitement" doesn't hinge on the appearance of falling leaves, snow flakes or radical fluctuations in temperature.&#160; And "isolation" isn't a function of the size or the seasons, but something entirely different.

While living in Manhattan, I guess you could say I suffered from "City Fever", which I would define as "the desire to step out my door and interact in more socially meaningful, spiritually uplifting and physically nourishing ways with people and nature."

Living in the big city, I felt more isolated in my 5 story apartment where I could live for years and never meet my next-door neighbor, where I could leave my apartment at the same time each day but never see the same person twice, where I could stand in a subway car, wedged body-to-body against another human being and never make eye contact, or acknowledge their existence, and where the interactions I did have were typically hurried, stress-laden, and perfunctory in nature.

But that's not to disparage New York, or any big city. There is a reality of human interaction that occurs in any environment where people are forced to reside in unnatural numbers. I recall reading an article that talked about the psychological necessity of shutting down after a while when one encounters so many people every second of the day. Acting on your natural impulse to smile, acknowledge or greet every single person you encounter would drive you crazy, or simply brand you as such.

So the emotional distance and detachment that often attends life in a million-man metropolis is a survival mechanism.

Here on Saipan, however, you can't pass another human without some acknowledgment that a life form is in your presence. It would be considered rude. People smile, say hello, and some will even call and wave to you from across the street! (Not everyone, of course....you can usually tell the tourists or the newbies on the island, as they're the ones who often don't, retaining as they do their mode of social interaction from whence they cometh... until they warm up a bit.) Even after being here a while, it still makes me smile inside and out when it happens!&#160; I hear it's even friendlier on neighboring islands where outside influence is even less.

The ability to connect with others is what defines MY sense of isolation. And although I too love a good&#160; long early morning drive on a long highway, (I used to head from Maryland to Atlanta and do the whole 10 hour drive in one sitting), given the choice, I'll opt for
short dirt roads and friendly smiles,
over frowns and streets that run for miles....

Old 04-04-2007, 08:36 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Lonely in Manhattan! As a frequent visitor to NYC. I was once there for a week alone. I used to frequent the pubs on the east side around 52 St. It seems that there were many Newyorkers who came there to interact. So that seems to reinforce your experience. Little natural interaction in the regular daily routine.

You experience in Saipan is mirrored in any Prairie town.
Old 04-05-2007, 12:43 AM   #32
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
You experience in Saipan is mirrored in any Prairie town.
I'll have to take your word for it. :-) But speaking of prairies, I imagine that's why a fellow I met here ("Captain Carl" Brachear, orginally from Cornland Illinois; www.capcarl.blogspot.com) who is doing his semi-Retirement thing here on Saipan likes it here. He's told me that his childhood life in Cornland was perfectly captured in the 2006 movie A Prairie Home Companion.

So I imagine it's that small town feel and familiarity that really appeals to him despite what he says about blue seas, multicultural population and trade winds!