From a "retired" nomadpreneur on a Pacific island!

walt23

Dryer sheet wannabe
Hi ,
My name is Walt Goodridge. Some may know me as the author of a book entitled Turn Your Passion Into Profit, while others may know of my 9 years of writing motivational "life rhymes" for passion-centered living..I took the maverick life route and walked away from a frustrating and soul-deadening civil engineering career to live a business lifestyle that doesn't require my presence! (In other words, I'm not tied to any physical location in order to continue earning money.)

I walked away from corporate America in 1995, went through a lot of ups and downs, and now live a nomadpreneur's lifestyle with income generated from the sales of my books. While I consider myself "retired" as of that fateful day I gave my boss my notice, I still do coach others and do interviews since the concept of helping others live the life of their dreams is MY OWN passion. Eventually, just last year 2006, I escaped from America to live out my own dream of sun and sand on the island of Saipan in the North Pacific. Here is the "life rhyme" I sent to my friends and family a few days before I left on my latest adventure...

Freedom Song

One day you'll think about me:
Haven't seen him in a while
You'll make a note to find me
or a number you can dial

One day you'll ask about me:
Where on earth can he be found?
And learn at last I've set my sail
where sun and sea abound

One day you'll say about me:
Goes the nomad on his way
To live the life's adventure
that he said he would some day

One day you'll write about me:
There's the man who lived his dream
Cut loose the oars and left the boat
to swim a different stream

And then one day amid the noise
and hustle of the throng
You'll hear a tune first faintly
that's been playing all along

You'll know the singer instantly
you'll recognize my voice
A heart-felt freedom song
of life lived not by chance but choice...

And so began my escape from America.

Welcome. So, as an author, what is your view of Robert Kiosaki and his advice on building wealth? I noticed the reference cited on your book overview.

Welcome. My wife & I love the South Pacific-French Polynesia, Cook Islands, Fiji & others. We would like to live there for longer bits of time. Right now youngest son is in high school and will be going off to college in the fall and that would open more opportunities. One problem with relocating to paradise is losing contacts with family & firends back in the US. How do you handle that?

Laurence said:
Welcome. So, as an author, what is your view of Robert Kiosaki and his advice on building wealth? I noticed the reference cited on your book overview.

Hi Laurence,
I definitely agree with Kiyosaki's truths. Among other things, I've found that one of the biggest deterrents to people pursuing their passions, living their dreams, achieving financial independence and freedom, and retiring early is a misconception of what assets are and how to go about creating and/or accumulating them. The misconception, for example that a house is a viable asset (something that puts money in your pocket on a regular basis), as opposed it really being a liability (something that takes money out of your pocket on a regular basis) was one of the eye openers for a lot of people that Kiyosaki extols in his books. Too many people have bought into the 2.5 kids, new car and home ownership as "the dream" without first building true wealth-building assets one needs to support that dream; my apologies to all the doting parents, for lumping their kids into the "liability" column! :)

Also, I like the degree of specificity and detail he brings to his work (something I appreciate in other authors, and for which my own books have been cited). Also, the concept of his Cash Flow Game is pretty deep. I've played it a few times with friends, and, from the perspective of a trainer who endorses experiential methodologies, I can appreciate what occurs on a subconscious level when a person plays a game, and reinforces new concepts using physical objects and direct interaction with others.

Yep, like it a lot.

W

Welcome to the board, Walt.

I sure don't envy your weather or the occasional earthquake but I've enjoyed the diving.

How does Saipan qualify as an escape from America?

walt23 said:
Also, I like the degree of specificity and detail he brings to his work
Yeah, I hear a lot of people are very interested in seeing some specificity and detail in his books.

Walt, I have some interest that has grown recently, in learning more about the methods of Financial Advisors and Career Coaches (You have described yourself as both, I believe). If you don't mind a couple of specific questions, that would be great. If not, I understand.

What is meant by: "...get my frequency of thought vibration to the point that I could attract what I needed"?
http://www.passionprofit.com/blog/

When you write books, like the one referenced here, do you self-publish, or use one of the established publishers?
http://tinyurl.com/27eump

Do you pay an agency or service so that you are quoted and published in articles like this?
http://tinyurl.com/2jx2a3

Thanks,
DRiP Guy

yakers said:
Welcome. My wife & I love the South Pacific-French Polynesia, Cook Islands, Fiji & others. We would like to live there for longer bits of time. Right now youngest son is in high school and will be going off to college in the fall and that would open more opportunities. One problem with relocating to paradise is losing contacts with family & firends back in the US. How do you handle that?

Hi Yakers,

Now, I can only speak from my personal experience, but what I've found is I actually speak to some of my friends MORE now than I did when I was in New York. Being caught up in the pressures and pace of day to day life in the big city made it almost impossible to really hang out with friends to any satisfying degreee. Everyone had jobs, appointments, play dates, and errands to run. And being the only one of my friends with control of my days, I was pretty much isolated. Even my other entrepreneur friends were too busy, having set up systems that required their constant presence. We communicated mostly by phone and email. So, the truth is, even though I'm now 8,000 miles away, I don't really see my friends any less than I did when I was there. (Keep in mind, however, that I've always been a bit of a loner, so my need for social interaction may be a bit less than yours.)

Now, from another perspective, I'd like to suggest that you don't really LOSE anything or anyone by moving to paradise and living your dream. There are so many new people, new ways to be, new realities and new persectives to grow into by having the courage to live life on your terms, that I believe you actually do yourself more of a disservice by NOT expanding your social, emotional and spiritual circles with an excursion into your private paradise. The urge you feel, and the call that you hear is your higher self summoning you to expand.

In this deeper sense, if you can appreciate the spiritual nature of your being, you are never, ever truly separated from anyone. It's your belief in separateness that keeps you bound. And while admittedly, physical proximity has its benefits, the real connection and bond with friends and family is one that occurs on a non-physical level. Such a bond can only be enhanced once you grow into a person who has the courage to live his dreams. You'll become more of the you you were meant to be, and as a resuult you'll be a better uncle, father, brother and son, as well as a true inspiration for those who love you and whom you love. Just think how your conversations with them, and the advice you can give them will be radically altered when you take the leap!

At the same time, as you grow and expand, you'll necessarily lose touch with others, not because you're far away physically, but because you'll be traveling psychologically to new lands. It's bound to happen. Personally, I think the bigger fear many people have is not losing PHYSICAL touch with those they call friend/family, but losing psychological touch when all those they know are choosing to live "lesser-than lives" while they graduate to live lives of passion.

No, my early-retirement friend, the "problem" is not how to handle the distance between bodies, the challenge is how to handle the distance between minds that a life in paradise often brings.

But, you have an obilgation to yourself, your dreams and your own happiness. Your friends and family are choosing to living their lives. You should live yours, too.

Walt
On a practical note, Saipan is a US "territory" so a long distance call from the states to here is the same as dialing any other state, so there's no added expense. Cell phones, email, blogs, Skype, et.al are great ways to keep in touch.

DRiP Guy said:
Walt, I have some interest that has grown recently, in learning more about the methods of Financial Advisors and Career Coaches (You have described yourself as both, I believe). If you don't mind a couple of specific questions, that would be great. If not, I understand.

What is meant by: "...get my frequency of thought vibration to the point that I could attract what I needed"?

When you write books, like the one referenced here, do you self-publish, or use one of the established publishers?
http://tinyurl.com/27eump

Do you pay an agency or service so that you are quoted and published in articles like this?
http://tinyurl.com/2jx2a3

Thanks,
DRiP Guy

Don't mind the questions at all, but wow, I just happened to surf on to the forum and posted two hours ago, and haven't been able to leave! It's 10:34am on Thursday here in the Pacific, so the day has just started and I've got some beach to roam. So, I'll save the answer to your first question for a little later when I return, but for now

2. All of my books are independently published. (Easier, cheaper and you can make more money than being signed to a big publisher, really!)

3. No, I do not get paid for such articles. I write and disseminate them free of charge as a means of generating exposure for my books.

walt23 said:
Don't mind the questions at all, but wow, I just happened to surf on to the forum and posted two hours ago, and haven't been able to leave! It's 10:34am on Thursday here in the Pacific, so the day has just started and I've got some beach to roam. So, I'll save the answer to your first question for a little later when I return, but for now

2. All of my books are independently published. (Easier, cheaper and you can make more money than being signed to a big publisher, really!)

3. No, I do not get paid for such articles. I write and disseminate them free of charge as a means of generating exposure for my books.

Thanks for the reply, Walt, sorry we have 'peppered' you with so much questioning and input, looks like you have indeed put a lot of energy and thought into your replies (i.e. to yakers) -- I can certainly understand the need to get a breath in! :LOL:

You inspired me to go learn just a little bit about the Marianas and Saipan in particular.

I was disheartened to find that there is a lot less support for this CommonWealth than some of the greater known ones. Even getting clean water was cited on one article as an issue, with some people resorting to gathering and storing rainwater (which is good practice, anyway, but I'd hate to rely on that for my main potable water source)

Thanks,
DRiP Guy

DRiP Guy said:
Thanks for the reply, Walt, sorry we have 'peppered' you with so much questioning and input, looks like you have indeed put a lot of energy and thought into your replies (i.e. to yakers) -- I can certainly understand the need to get a breath in! :LOL:

You inspired me to go learn just a little bit about the Marianas and Saipan in particular.

I was disheartened to find that there is a lot less support for this CommonWealth than some of the greater known ones. Even getting clean water was cited on one article as an issue, with some people resorting to gathering and storing rainwater (which is good practice, anyway, but I'd hate to rely on that for my main potable water source)

Thanks,
DRiP Guy

Check out www.welovesaipan.com.
(Now this is my own bias, but there are less complimentary sites about Saipan that you may wish to read (or not at all, as I chose not to while doing my own research about Saipan) AFTER you get a dose of the positive side of things. And no, the water availability thing is not something you'd typically have to deal with. Remember that every site (including mine) has an underlying agenda....so don't be swayed unduly...W

Hmmmmmm. What is it about people that have "passion" in the web URL, publish their own books, and blog.

Can't put my finger on it. :LOL:

Well, welcome aboard anyway. :D

I think you should comb through Kiyosaki again, for more specifics.

-CC

Welcome.

I love to read and consider all opinions on this board.

Sorry you had to escape from America. This country has been very good to me.

DRiP Guy said:
Thanks,
DRiP Guy

Hi againn,
Drip Guy,
(back from my morning ride!)
The Law of Attraction says "that which is like unto itself is drawn." In other words, the thoughts and beliefs and expections you have about life are like magnets which attract, and frequencies which resonate with similar thoughts, situations, people and circumstances. The content of your life is a direct result of the thoughts you entertain. So, I was and am aware that the circumstances of my inability to generate the cash to pay my rent was a direct consequence of the thoughts of scarcity and lack with which I lived most of my life. So, in order to get my finances up to where they needed to be, I had to first change my outlook, belief, thoughts and expectations about money, wealth, poverty and my own value as a human being.

W

walt23 said:
Hi againn,
Drip Guy,
(back from my morning ride!)
The Law of Attraction says "that which is like unto itself is drawn." In other words, the thoughts and beliefs and expections you have about life are like magnets which attract, and frequencies which resonate with similar thoughts, situations, people and circumstances. The content of your life is a direct result of the thoughts you entertain. So, I was and am aware that the circumstances of my inability to generate the cash to pay my rent was a direct consequence of the thoughts of scarcity and lack with which I lived most of my life. So, in order to get my finances up to where they needed to be, I had to first change my outlook, belief, thoughts and expectations about money, wealth, poverty and my own value as a human being.
W

I think there is some truth in the "The Law of Attraction" idea. In my mind it is similar to the idea that "You will find what you are looking for or focusing on." If you have a mindset of scasity it will influence how you view life and your reaction to it. Other people will notice it and respond. If you have a mindset of scaricty in business and do not invest in your business attire; people notice and may not think positively about you or think you are not management material.

In business, find a way to let your management know your good points - they will then begin to see it; if you do it right. From my experience in business sussess is 1% inspiration; 24% knowlege; 25% hard work; 25% preception.

dex said:
From my experience in business sussess is 1% inspiration; 24% knowlege; 25% hard work; 25% preception.

I three-quarters-heartedly agree with this statement! :D

The other 25% - that's what underlings are for - to check your numbers and make you look good and polished! ;)

justin said:
The other 25% - that's what underlings are for - to check your numbers and make you look good and polished! ;)
During his trial, isn't that what Bernie Ebbers was quoted as saying? "Gotta make our numbers!"

Welcome!

Holy cow. Talk about isolated. Does anyone get island fever?

Hmmm. Was cruising the blogs from Saipan just now, looking for cost of living information. Can anyone post a link?

Ed_The_Gypsy said:
Welcome!

Holy cow. Talk about isolated. Does anyone get island fever?

Hmmm. Was cruising the blogs from Saipan just now, looking for cost of living information. Can anyone post a link?

hey Ed,
Here are a few things to start....(I'll add more
- Saipan is on the US dollar.
- Minimum wage here is $3.05/hr, but likely to change very soon.
- You'd be wise to get a US-mainland based paycheck, or generate your income independent of the current economy here (i.e. internet-based, or some sort of passive residual income stream)
- Supermarkets here carry a lot of US products, but health products for vegetarians are a bit of a challenge to find. Most products are priced at about what one would pay in a big city, with perhaps just a bit of more of a markup for certain specialty items

Ask any specific questions and I'd be happy to answer

After more digging, it seems that there is no US federal income tax in Saipan, but the local government collects something like it and rebates most of it. Hmmm!

It seems that Saipan is a beautiful little island, but there may be a few flies in the ointment: :p

http://www.saipansucks.com/

Forgot to mention....if you'd like another great overview of life on Saipan covering everything from politics to people to partying, from a young man educated in the states and who actually lives here,

check out Angelo's blog, "TheSaipanBlogger" at www.jetapplicant.blogspot.com

(Angelo has the most popular, most quoted and most visited site about Saipan, and has a tremendous amount of influence on the reality and perception of life here.)

Walt

I have very little interest in Saipan. But I am very pleased to read your submissions. Very eloquent and thought-provoking. We have chosen PV MX for our retirement destination but are tied to being caregivers for our 91yo MIL for the time being.

Many of the issues of separation which you handle we have been anticipating. We are already retired so we have already begun our mental journey away from some former working associates. I am 2000 miles away from sons and grandkids but flights rectify that gap quite easily.

Thanks for finding us.
Keith

kcowan said:
Walt

Thanks for finding us.
Keith

hey Keith,
the fortune is all mine! I'm excited to be a part of this. The entire concept of early retirement (with the added suggestion of using one's passion to facilitiate it) is one which I heartily endorse, so finding an entire community of like-minded thinkers is pretty cool!

I've posted info about "us" on my blog and sent an email of some of the great feedback I've gotten to a number of people here on Saipan and back in the states.

W

walt23 said:
...I've posted info about "us" on my blog and sent an email of some of the great feedback I've gotten to a number of people here on Saipan and back in the states.

W
Nice Blog Walt. As an electrical engineer, I retired from big business in 1992. Started a management consulting company and did business reengineering as Operations executive in several companies, then founded a mobile POS company which we sold in 2002. Really retired in Aug02. So far so good. 3.8%SWR aiming at 3.5%

Island fever will keep my away from Saipan and Hawaii but PV MX looks good for 6 months each year (currently 2 months).

Back
Top Bottom