Join Early Retirement Today

Gave my notice today.
Old 03-26-2014, 07:17 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Gave my notice today.

I'll be 54 this summer. FC says I'm 100% to cover my expenses for 30 years without including SS.

So I gave two months notice today.

Still seems like I'm dreaming and haven't woken up yet. Feel much better, but also a little insecure. Okay, a lot insecure. Hoping I get over the second part and keep feeling better.

Loved my job, am/was very good at it, but it required all of my time. And I mean ALL of my time. To the point it started affecting my health.

They understood my reasons. Offered an extended leave of absence. I declined. Offered reduced full time ~30 hours a week. I declined. Offered to restructure some things. I declined. Offered something along the lines of "corporate advisor" and I said I would consider it if it was less than 25 hours a month.

These people aren't just my employer, they are my friends. I wouldn't mind being plugged in, keeping my skills sharp, continuing to contribute to their success, but from a distance. A very far, comfortable, and flexible distance.

But I gave my notice today.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2014, 07:24 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Congratulations. Change is hard.

Take a break for a couple months and then decide what you want (or don't want) to do.

pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 07:34 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Congratulations! The best is yet to come.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:04 PM   #4

Congratulations! Sounds like you were a very good employee and that they definitely want to keep you. I hope that you make the best decision for you.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:51 PM   #5

Congrats
Old 03-26-2014, 09:58 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Congratulations. Sounds like you are going out on top, with your reputation and friendships in tact. They won't go away. I retired 8 months ago and I regularly get together with my friends/former colleagues. They tell me about the latest developments at work and, while I enjoy the conversation, I don't for a minute wish I was back in it.
Old 03-26-2014, 11:11 PM   #7

Congratulations on putting your quality of life as top priority. Your transition may be tough given your job has been such a major part of your life, but look at why you made the decision. Start now with the transition so you can taper down some and not have an abrupt end, that should help you.

Have fun and enjoy your new phase of life!

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/16 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 11:36 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Congratulations. It sounds like you worked hard so that you could have control over your life. Good for you.
Old 03-26-2014, 11:38 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Sweetness!!
Old 03-27-2014, 12:34 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Congrats!
Old 03-27-2014, 12:52 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Wonderful!
Old 03-27-2014, 06:37 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looking4Ward View Post
Loved my job
I wouldn't mind being plugged in, keeping my skills sharp
I know exactly what you mean. I ER'd over 12 years ago, and people are still asking me to handle "just this one project" as a consultant. I obliged them for a long time, but it got to be less and less enjoyable. Eventually I had to learn to just say no. Not fun, because they kind of resent it, knowing that I would have been the perfect one for the task. This was really the hardest part of ER for me.

My advice is to keep a careful watch on yourself if you decide to stay involved. Make sure you don't get trapped.

Welcome!
Best of luck!
Old 03-27-2014, 06:59 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks to everyone for the congrats, well wishes, and most of all wisdom. They are much appreciated.

I actually slept pretty good last night.

When I told my 8 year old son yesterday what I had done and that my last day of work would be his last day of school before the summer starts, he got really excited and the first thing he asked was if we could build a computer together.

I knew then that I had made the right decision.

The next couple of months will be interesting indeed; I also serve on the board of directors of a national organization with two years left on my term; that in itself will allow me to continue to be "plugged in" at a very broad level and I'll have more time to devote to volunteer efforts with a wonderful group of people.

I'm also looking forward to participating with this group and these forums, which have been my go-to source of preparedness over the last several years.
Old 03-27-2014, 07:03 AM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:

When I told my 8 year old son yesterday what I had done and that my last day of work would be his last day of school before the summer starts, he got really excited and the first thing he asked was if we could build a computer together.

This is very cool. Congrats to you and all the best transitioning into the next phase.
Old 03-27-2014, 07:04 AM   #15

It sounds like you are leaving on good terms and they really wanted to keep you. Good on you for not burning bridges, since there *could* come a time when you decide you may want to dip a toe or two back into the waters if the terms are acceptable.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 07:21 AM   #16

Quote:

You can have a tremendous influence on your son. You may want to document this going forward, say with pictures, blog posts, etc.

When my son and friends were 10, their "computer education" was really poor, given their smarts. I bought robot programming software, we'd meet once a week, and I tried to inspire them with possibilities. It was pretty wild with three boys, and my son was the worst (lol). But they all went on to be successful, technical engineers of one kind or another. My role was very small, of course. Their parents were all completely supportive of higher education, and the results are truly astounding.

Enjoy that. It sounds like a dream summer coming up.
Old 03-27-2014, 09:15 AM   #17
Dryer sheet aficionado

Exciting! Enjoy the change.
Old 03-27-2014, 09:56 AM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.

Congratulations. Your journey continues.