Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Getting Bored
Old 11-01-2006, 06:19 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird
I am visiting L.A. right now and considering buying a small business that makes surf boards. I have always wanted to be my own boss, and surfing is certainly a passion of mine.
If you buy it, you can move this discussion over to the "Surfing" thread and keep us all posted on how things go. You might even get a couple of customers.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2006, 10:52 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Don't forget to offer specials for readers of the E-R forum
Old 11-02-2006, 09:06 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by astromeria
Don't forget to offer specials for readers of the E-R forum
Eh, I was too proud to beg bring that up.

But the research of buying a surfboard company will be a lot of fun!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 02:44 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

I'd second retire@40's suggestion of making a list of all the things you've ever wanted to do. Surely there are things you've always thought would be "neat", but never had the time to work at them? Here's part of my list (I keep it on google notebook (http://www.google.com/notebook/) so I can update it as needed). Btw, I'm a computer person, so a decent number of things on my list are computer programming related.

*DONE* Become a Scuba instructor
Learn Hapkido (white belt so far)
Forge swords
*DONE (badly)* Paint
Brew root beer
Learn Tai Chi
Get in shape
Grow Bonsai (In progress)
*DONE* Get an aquarium (salt)
Write recipe web program
Write library program (look into barcodes)
Breed moray eels (need at least 200 gallon tank)
Raise octopus (need at least 55 gallon tank)
Write a book
Make a Koi/Goldfish pond in a Greenhouse
Learn how to play bagpipes
Learn how to play the guitar
*DONE* Smoke good BBQ
Make wood bookshelves
Go sailing around the world
Walk the appalachian trail
Make a remote control battleship that shoots things
Make a board game

So anyway, that's a part of my list. I have cut plenty of things out that just aren't practical (IE, learning Mandarin.. while cool, I have too many other things on my list that are more interesting). The thing is, I know that if I'm ever bored, it's not for lack of things to do, it's just my mood. Often depression is confused with boredom. Then you need to address your emotions, instead of pretending it is a lack of things to do.
HobbyDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 12:04 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceberon
1. Go sailing around the world
2. Walk the appalachian trail
3. Make a remote control battleship that shoots things
1. Hey - let us know when you leave, maybe we'll meet - current plan for us is in about 11 years
2. If you (or any board member for that matter) need a lift to Springer Mountain trail head from ATL I can drop you off there at Amicalola State Park.
3. Let me know where do you live - there is a good chance that you don't need to drive far to see a local battle. There are at least three nation-wide clubs battling 1/144 scale and 2 battling 1/72. I'm on my fourth battleship since '98

sailor
sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 07:46 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor
1. Hey - let us know when you leave, maybe we'll meet - current plan for us is in about 11 years
2. If you (or any board member for that matter) need a lift to Springer Mountain trail head from ATL I can drop you off there at Amicalola State Park.
3. Let me know where do you live - there is a good chance that you don't need to drive far to see a local battle. There are at least three nation-wide clubs battling 1/144 scale and 2 battling 1/72. I'm on my fourth battleship since '98
sailor
1. Well, our current plan is 11 years as well, so perhaps we will meet up
2. When we do head out there, I'll certainly drop a note on the board.
3. Chicago area (western suburbs). I'm assuming you're correct that there are clubs nearby. I read about them awhile ago, and just thought they were very cool.
HobbyDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 11:10 AM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceberon
3. Chicago area (western suburbs). I'm assuming you're correct that there are clubs nearby. I read about them awhile ago, and just thought they were very cool.
Hmm, I was maybe too quick - the closest one I know to Chicago is in East Lansing, MI, so probably over 200 miles from you. Oh well. You can go either to http://www.mwci.org/ or http://www.ircwcc.org/ at least to look at the pictures.
sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 12:35 AM   #28
Dryer sheet wannabe

A number of years ago i had the good fortune to join a Habitat For Humanity house-building mission to the interior of Viti Levu, Fiji. The experience dramatically changed my life. Point being if you truly are willing to look outside the box to kill those boredom blues, do something that radically changes your perspective on life and living. Sounds like you have the advantage of discretionary $$, youth, health, and time on your hands to do something major. Don't just paddle at the shore, swim naked with the snapping turtles, if you get my drift.

Anyways, can't wait to be FIREd and do some more volunteer work in far-off lands.
rrspike is offline   Reply With Quote