Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
getting ready to leave Vancouver BC
Old 10-08-2006, 12:05 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 8
getting ready to leave Vancouver BC

we just sold our condo, I hope at the peak. We will wait a few months and then move up the coast to a small town called Powell River.

Our plan is to live on the extra money made from the sale after we buy a much cheaper place. We can llive on that for about 5 years and in that time I can continue to do my business, online and flying down once a month for a couple of days,(but not at Christmas or in the summer)

My dh will do whatever, undetermined.

Then we will crack into our savings after that and move on to government pensions.

We will see how it all goes. Worst case scenario, we can do some more work, but I don't think we will needto.

Happy to be here.
__________________

__________________
kally is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: getting ready to leave Vancouver BC
Old 10-08-2006, 12:13 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Nords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Oahu
Posts: 26,563
Re: getting ready to leave Vancouver BC

Welcome back, Kally! Good to hear from you.
__________________

__________________
*
*

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: getting ready to leave Vancouver BC
Old 10-08-2006, 12:14 PM   #3
Dryer sheet aficionado
janeofalltrades's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 37
Re: getting ready to leave Vancouver BC

Congratulations Kally
I'm going to google Powell River and check it out. The internet is great for flexibility in running a business, still being productive and for the flexibilty on how we live our lives.
__________________
Jane
janeofalltrades is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: getting ready to leave Vancouver BC
Old 10-08-2006, 12:33 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,375
Re: getting ready to leave Vancouver BC

Good for you, Kally! I look forward to hearing about the next step in your FIRE adventure.
__________________
You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you might find you get what you need.
astromeria is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: getting ready to leave Vancouver BC
Old 10-08-2006, 12:34 PM   #5
Confused about dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 8
Re: getting ready to leave Vancouver BC

thanks gang. It is such a leap of faiith, but what can we lose. I mean we are both educated and could pull together some kind of work. Plus we have a home paid off. So, off we go.
__________________
kally is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: getting ready to leave Vancouver BC
Old 10-09-2006, 10:56 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
kcowan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pacific latitude 20/49
Posts: 4,401
Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Re: getting ready to leave Vancouver BC

I know someone who moved from Burnaby to Bowser (Qualicum area) for much the same reasons. Her business is thriving (5 years later) and her costs are substantially less. She missed the big runup in Burnaby housing but then Bowser has been going up too.
__________________
For the fun of it...Keith
kcowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: getting ready to leave Vancouver BC
Old 10-12-2006, 08:35 AM   #7
Confused about dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 8
Re: getting ready to leave Vancouver BC

As I read more posts I see some people have a LOT of money when they retire and some people have a LITTLE money. Can someone direct me to posts about someone here who is more on the LITTLE side of money, rather than the big money.

I know everyone has diffferent needs and lifestyles, but I am interested in a fairly frugal semi-retirement and I am wondering who else is working on that. THanks
__________________
kally is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: getting ready to leave Vancouver BC
Old 10-12-2006, 09:17 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus
Nords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Oahu
Posts: 26,563
Re: getting ready to leave Vancouver BC

Quote:
Originally Posted by kally
As I read more posts I see some people have a LOT of money when they retire and some people have a LITTLE money. Can someone direct me to posts about someone here who is more on the LITTLE side of money, rather than the big money.
I know everyone has diffferent needs and lifestyles, but I am interested in a fairly frugal semi-retirement and I am wondering who else is working on that. THanks
You could look up just about anything by UncleMick, who holds the board's record on minimizing ER expenses. Kitty does as well and also has a very entertaining blog about her farm.

The Kaderlis are doing it on about $2000/month with frequent overseas travel & extended stays in low-cost countries. They post here as "Billy" and have a website at http://www.retireearlylifestyle.com/.

Bob Clyatt's "Work Less, Live More" delves into the semi-retirement options, and Simple Living's forums (http://www.simpleliving.net/forums/default.asp?CAT_ID=3) will give you a graduate degree in frugality. A note of caution, however, we're pretty frugal ourselves and we still see some of these zealots leaping over the line from "frugal" to "severe deprivation".
__________________
*
*

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: getting ready to leave Vancouver BC
Old 10-12-2006, 11:10 AM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 926
Re: getting ready to leave Vancouver BC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
You could look up just about anything by UncleMick, who holds the board's record on minimizing ER expenses. Kitty does as well and also has a very entertaining blog about her farm.

The Kaderlis are doing it on about $2000/month with frequent overseas travel & extended stays in low-cost countries. They post here as "Billy" and have a website at http://www.retireearlylifestyle.com/.

Bob Clyatt's "Work Less, Live More" delves into the semi-retirement options, and Simple Living's forums (http://www.simpleliving.net/forums/default.asp?CAT_ID=3) will give you a graduate degree in frugality. A note of caution, however, we're pretty frugal ourselves and we still see some of these zealots leaping over the line from "frugal" to "severe deprivation".
Very disappointed to be left off this list Nords. I do admit I never
got down to unclemick's all-time board record number though.

JG
__________________
Some of us have pretty stories, about good friends, good times and noodle salad.
Mr._johngalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: getting ready to leave Vancouver BC
Old 10-12-2006, 03:22 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus
Nords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Oahu
Posts: 26,563
Re: getting ready to leave Vancouver BC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr._johngalt
Very disappointed to be left off this list Nords. I do admit I never got down to unclemick's all-time board record number though.
I'm not sorry to disappoint you, as I feel you have no useful advice to contribute other than to live off the income of a spouse. But that's just my opinion.

You consistently attempt to give the impression that you've ER'd on brains & guts. However you also appear to consistently leave out the spouse income, the dumpster diving, the credit-card balance-transfer offers, and the corporate tax-loss carryforwards. But if this is what kally has in mind then I'm sure you'll get a chance to offer your guidance.
__________________
*
*

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: getting ready to leave Vancouver BC
Old 10-12-2006, 04:59 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 174
Re: getting ready to leave Vancouver BC

Not to be disagreeable . . . but I enjoy JG's posts. Wouldn't recommend them as advice for anyone else (I don't think that he would either, but I could be wrong). Nevertheless, I think that he has an interesting story to tell.
__________________
jeff2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: getting ready to leave Vancouver BC
Old 10-12-2006, 06:13 PM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 926
Re: getting ready to leave Vancouver BC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
I'm not sorry to disappoint you, as I feel you have no useful advice to contribute other than to live off the income of a spouse. But that's just my opinion.

You consistently attempt to give the impression that you've ER'd on brains & guts. However you also appear to consistently leave out the spouse income, the dumpster diving, the credit-card balance-transfer offers, and the corporate tax-loss carryforwards. But if this is what kally has in mind then I'm sure you'll get a chance to offer your guidance.
You're a real pain in the ass. Plus, you're starting to remind me of my former
"friend" here. This is not a compliment.

JG
__________________
Some of us have pretty stories, about good friends, good times and noodle salad.
Mr._johngalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: getting ready to leave Vancouver BC
Old 10-13-2006, 01:38 AM   #13
Confused about dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 3
Re: getting ready to leave Vancouver BC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff2006
Not to be disagreeable . . . but I enjoy JG's posts. Wouldn't recommend them as advice for anyone else (I don't think that he would either, but I could be wrong). Nevertheless, I think that he has an interesting story to tell.

I too enjoy reading his posts when seeking ER guidance and IQ served at room temperature, otherwise i scroll over the posts like i step over dog poop.

Welcome Kally - Powell's a great community! ex-Comox resident.
__________________

__________________
01132008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trip Report: Vancouver, BC wabmester Life after FIRE 12 08-20-2006 03:27 PM
Not Ready for Winter Yet! SteveR Other topics 10 10-06-2005 03:35 PM
Best Place to Live....Vancouver Calgary_Girl Other topics 19 10-06-2005 02:44 PM
Leave or Stay? Tommy_Dolitte Young Dreamers 2 06-18-2005 12:39 PM
Am I ready to be FIREd? arrete FIRE and Money 40 03-15-2005 06:47 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:28 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.