Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-25-2015, 09:26 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

If you suspect you're going to weaken on your departure date, give 30 days' notice. That'll enable the boss to "talk you into staying" another month for the good of the team.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2015, 11:10 AM   #22

You mention you work for a large megacorp. Does this megacorp have periodic reductions/layoffs? Do they respond positively if one of the reduced folks were to ask to stay longer? Probably not.

I understand you want to give them a good transition. The reality is that they won't commit to a good transition if you give them more time... only when it is evident that you are imminently walking out the door - or have left. I like the idea of giving them 1 month, then conceding a second month if they ask - especially if they sweeten the pot for the 2nd month.

Don't be surprised if they don't sweeten the pot or ask you to stay longer... Even if you're highly valued... It's not in every corporate culture to do so. And for some management they pretty much write you off as soon as you give notice.

But perhaps you have some OMY mindset going on.

Old 11-25-2015, 11:45 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willers View Post
It's usually better to leave when the news is fresh everyone (at least the subset of the everyone that matter to you) is still happy for you.
Good words, Willers, thanks. Have had similar thoughts.
Old 11-25-2015, 11:50 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

I gave 90+ days notice as is required by my contract. When pressured to stay on, I simply have said how flattered I was by their request ; but, that I had made commitments already that could not be changed. End of story
Old 11-25-2015, 11:59 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertf57 View Post
I gave 90+ days notice as is required by my contract. When pressured to stay on, I simply have said how flattered I was by their request ; but, that I had made commitments already that could not be changed. End of story
If you truly don't want to stay, this sounds like a good approach. And booking a trip for the first month of retirement is a good idea for all kinds of reasons.

I gave my boss 6 weeks verbal notice and she announced it to the group a month before I left. That was plenty of time for everyone, and I was in a pretty unique management role. Only got a couple of phone calls or e-mails in the next few weeks and that was it. I wasn't as invaluable as I thought I was.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 12:01 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by petershk View Post
I think being honest is important.

It sounds like you are done, done but you don't want to let him or the team down.

I'd turn it down like this:
"I appreciate that you value my expertise, but I think it would be disingenuous of me to pretend that additional compensation (or whatever) would be a positive motivation. At best I'd be a mercenary... At worst I'd resent it. Im confident there's other people that can do it and maybe me leaving will be a catalyst for them to step up. Either way I have to be honest with you and myself."

Something like that. Assuming that's how you feel.
Great post, petershk. I do have a feeling of not wanting to let the team down; however there is enough toxicity in the air to mitigate that quite a bit.

I like your turn-down response, but might also throw in something like "I feel like I no longer have a sufficient level of passion to be successful, and thus do not want to jeopardize the outcome of this important program".

In the end I certainly do not want to burn any bridges, just in case I need them.
Old 12-06-2015, 09:37 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

As an update, I met with my boss on Friday and told him I was retiring on 2/5/15. After two "No ways" he was very supportive and well, cool about it. No pressure to stay; in fact he didn't even mention it.

So...the countdown begins! Thanks everyone on the forum for your replies and support.
Old 12-06-2015, 09:44 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Good work!
I think like many things... Our minds usually create more terrible results than reality justifies... Usually that is. Sometime reality surpasses all expectations

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 12-07-2015, 06:32 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trooper View Post
however there is enough toxicity in the air to mitigate that quite a bit.
It was quite refreshing to get away from that feeling of toxicity. It was prevalent throughout the company I once w*rked for.
Old 12-07-2015, 11:45 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

The countdown begins. Congrats!
Old 12-07-2015, 02:36 PM   #31
Full time employment: Posting here.

Congrats. I'm sure you feel great getting your plans set.