Glad to be here

TomD

Confused about dryer sheets
I am not retired yet, but want to retire at 60 (5 years to go). I spent the last few months going to seminars and interviewing Financial Planners. Pretty confusing and discouraging to say the least.

I was referred here by Cut-Throat. Thanks CT.

Hi Tom, I'm new here also.

When I decided to retire in my 40's I was terrified of losing my nestegg so I started interviewing FA's left and right. That was even more terrfying! I had learned a very few investing principles and these FA's were going against them all. Chasing past returns, high fees/commissions, market timing, fund churning. I couldn't sleep at night and I just wanted to 'be taken care of' because I had no confidence in my ability to do my own investing. But I started reading some books, looking at websites (like this one) and slowly I started getting the hang of it. I had once thought there was no way I could ever invest on my own. Now I love it and have complete confidence in my decisions. I weathered the bear market without a single panic attack.

Gaining knowledge is the key (IMHO) to getting past confusion and discouragement. Even if you decide to go with an FA - you'll have the knowledge to pick the right one. No easy task, from what I have seen!

I'm not sure if you have already done some learning, but I have collected some good beginner articles - I'd be happy to pass them on to you if you like. I'm sure you and I will find some great insight from the seasoned posters on this forum. I'm always looking to learn new stuff!

TomD said:
I am not retired yet, but want to retire at 60 (5 years to go). I spent the last few months going to seminars and interviewing Financial Planners. Pretty confusing and discouraging to say the least.

I was referred here by Cut-Throat. Thanks CT.

C-T is pretty sharp for a liberal :)

JG

Well, if you are CT's friend, we will refrain from eviscerating you for your first comment that deviates from ER dogma. ;) Welcome to the board!

STAY AWAY FROM FINANCIAL PLANNERS! All I have to say on this subject. :D

psst....have you read 4 pillars of investing yet? :D

Laurance: I am reading 4 Pillars now.

MRGALT2U: CT a liberal? Oh no....... :eek:

Repairmanjack: I welcome any info you can shoot my way. Thanks.

MRGALT2U said:
C-T is pretty sharp for a liberal :)

JG

As a newcomer, I feel it is only fair to warn you that JG has publicly stated that he considers Dubya to be a liberal.

That being said, his wife is a fox ;)

Back
Top Bottom