Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-02-2009, 08:34 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDamien View Post
Who is John Galt?

Well, here's one answer to your Q.

Quote:
John Galt is a fictional character in Ayn Rand's novel Atlas Shrugged. Although he is absent from much of the text, he is the subject of the novel's oft repeated question, "Who is John Galt?", and the quest to discover the answer.
John Galt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2009, 08:21 AM   #42
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Do you suppose he saved his final words for this forum ? as its kinda strange for some one who participated in the forum so much to just say goodby leaving it to our imaginations as to why he left.
Godspeed OAG
Let me try to answer your question (in my words). I was originally a member of this forum about four years ago (two years before retirement). At the time, I was looking for a place to ask my "dumb" questions about retirement and some options on what I should do to invest my assets (under a much different market, if you remember).

During those two years, I found valuable info, both supplied by forum members (thanks!) and also by my own investigation on certain subjects. However, when I posted my findings, I found a lot of "static" from a certain forum member (un-named) who thought that they had the answer to everything.

Well, I retired. Since it's "my life", I enacted my ER portfolio in the manner that I felt worked for me (as anybody should do); however, I still faced an argument on my decisions.

Simply, I left and went on to other forums, and other endevors.

After two years of retirement (and also over a year since my final post), I've come back - albit with a different attitude. I'll contribute little, but read much. I found over the last few years (on the forums in which I participate) I seek less information and have become more comfortable in the decisions I've made to be able to retire early, and enjoy a good retirement (2 years, a/o May 1st) that is a result of my own decisions. Just my view on the subject...

Old 05-03-2009, 08:23 AM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by OAG View Post
Just wanted to say Good bye and say I enjoyed this forum for a couple of years. Thanks to all that have helped during the time I have been a member here.

OAG
OAG,

Have fun in whatever you will be doing. I have not been active in this forum for a while as the economy turns sour. My current interest is playing tennis.

Spanky
Old 05-03-2009, 11:47 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
After two years of retirement (and also over a year since my final post), I've come back
Welcome back rescueme.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 12:44 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
... I found a lot of "static" from a certain forum member (un-named) who thought that they had the answer to everything.

... I found over the last few years (on the forums in which I participate) I seek less information and have become more comfortable in the decisions I've made to be able to retire early, and enjoy a good retirement (2 years, a/o May 1st) that is a result of my own decisions.
Welcome back!

By the way, I am glad that you have made your own financial decisions and are comfortable with them. That's the only way. It's your own money, and only you will have to live with it. I've learned other aspects of investing, savings, and lifestyles here. I collect information, then make my own choices. What works for other people does not work for me, and vice versa.

You've got to do it your way! There are these "wise" people in real life as well as here. Don't let them bother you.

"I've lived a life that's full -
I've travelled each and every highway.
And more, much more than this,
I did it my way.

Regrets? I've had a few,
But then again, too few to mention.
I did what I had to do
And saw it through without exemption."

French Music ("Comme d'habitude") - English lyrics by Paul Anka - Popularized by Frank Sinatra
Old 05-04-2009, 04:05 AM   #46
Full time employment: Posting here.

If OAG left because of some friction he/she was having with another forum member i can only say to not get too personnally involved with what some forum members have to say,forums in general are a great source of information but when 40 to 100 thousand people get together there will be differences of opinions and some threads/members you just have to walk away from or it will just turn into an arguement.
However reading over OAG's last few posts he/she didnt seem to be having problems with any one.
Old 05-04-2009, 01:30 PM   #47
gone traveling

Agreed! I don't even take my own posts too seriously...
Old 05-04-2009, 01:33 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
Agreed! I don't even take my own posts too seriously...
Which we all have agreed is a good thing........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote