Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Good Morning
Old 05-31-2004, 03:09 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Sure, you'd like her a lot. Very attractive, intelligent and well organized. Unfortunately since she caught her ex cheating on her, she'll never trust anyone with anything ever again. And I do mean anything and ever.

Glad to send you her #... :P
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2004, 03:16 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Good post Tom! 5%? Great goggly mooglies!

John Galt
Yep. I burned through roughly a mil a year pre-retirement; although uncle sam had a part in taking roughly half of that. Eating out 10-12 meals a week at expensive places, the latest suits every year, three new expensive cars every year or two, decorated mcmansion with all the trimmings, boat, $30-$50 bottles of wine, $20k vacations, skiing every weekend, etc. I was often bemused at how fast money ran through my hands. Unquestionably the poster child for overconsumptive lifestyles.

It was fun.

Staying up as late as I want and sleeping until I dont feel like it anymore is a lot of fun too.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 05-31-2004, 04:07 PM   #23

Holy mackeral Tom! .............your history sounds just like mine, except you made more, spent more and
apparently have more left over. Anyway, I agree about
the staying up late and getting up whenever you feel like it.
For example, this morning I went back to bed about 8:30 and jokingly told my wife to wake me for lunch.
Got up at 11:15 and felt like a million bucks. You can't buy freedom like that. In the old days I'd have been
thinking about business, even on a holiday.

John Galt
Old 05-31-2004, 04:46 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

TH:

Going through $l,000,000.00 a year, skiing every week-end, $20,000.00 vacations, $60.00 bottles of wine, new cars, Mcmansion, etc. etc.
Somebody must have really p-----ed you off at work
In any case, sounds like you had an interesting life, and kept the money in circulation.
You did what you wanted at the time, and good for you.
If you can go from that to $24,000.00 a year shows me that maybe the money wasn"t that important to you, and that"s good.
But holy mackrel, TH
Jarhead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 05:46 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

John and Jarhead:

Nobody really pissed me off...when I took my 7 year sabbatical and had a 3 month separation, it all came clear to me. Before I left I was mortified at the prospect of what I was going to do with my time. I saw them all the time...the sabbaticalites who started responding to emails a week or two after they left. Could I really separate myself from my work and "do nothing" without feeling disconnected?

You bet I could.

I ended up spending most of the 3 months sitting in a cheap chair under a cheap umbrella drinking cheap beer at the edge of a lake, reading, swimming, or paddling a cheap kayak I bought around the rivers.

At the end of 3 months I felt better than I had since I could remember. Relaxed. Comfortable. Sleeping like a baby.

The SNAP was when I went back. It was all so transparent to me now. Unnecessary competition and friction. Politics. Self created stress that accounted for 60-70% of the workload without increasing productivity or quality. Rooms full of overly self important pufferies.

I never could really get back into the groove. I did however get more done in the 9 months or so that I was there before I checked out than I'd been able to do in years.

I wonder what it'd be like to go back to it with that same "who gives a ****, I'm just gonna get something done" mindset. In my dreams its a hoot and all goes well. Then I wake up...

As far as the money, all it ever did was buy me things that I had to maintain and worry about, and take me to places that werent any better than where I'd been in the first place.

I'm reminded of an old story. Theres a town nearby that was affectionately known as "hangtown" in its gold rush days. Theres a local dish known as the "hangtown fry" which is basically an oyster and bacon omelette. Turns out it was (allegedly) originally crafted by a prisoner about to contribute to the towns name; he decided he wanted the most expensive thing he could eat for his last meal, and eggs, bacon and oysters were the most expensive ingredients. Later this caught on with the goldminers who struck it rich as the way to tell everyone else in the saloon that he'd "made it"...by ordering the hangtown fry.

The hangtown fry tastes like crap.

Clarity is a good thing.
Old 05-31-2004, 05:55 PM   #26

TH, anyone who can use "sabbaticalites" and
"pufferies" in the same post, and then cap it off with a story about
the "hangtown fry"......well, my hat's off to you son.

John Galt
Old 05-31-2004, 07:48 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

I'm honored.

However, do NOT try this at home, I AM a professional 8)
Old 06-02-2004, 09:56 PM   #28
Dryer sheet aficionado

Hello all - back again for a short visit.

TH - something you said in one of your posts just verbalized all that has been running thru my head for the last 6 wks. Thank you. I'll give you the short version...

Spent 3 wks in Italy in March - just me and the kids - oy. Since returning, I have NOT been able to get back into the groove....actually a little bitter about the daily grind. I had the luxury of stepping out of my life for a few weeks and really enjoyed it. My thought was that I would return with a clear head, rested psyche and energized outlook....but it didn't happen. Now I realize that it did happen....but it has nothing to do with clearing my head for work.

Tried to explain to my husband but couldn't isolate the root cause. You nailed it w/unnecessary conflict, stress, politics, etc. I am just not willing to invite those things back into my life again. TH - thank you so much, your post is exactly it. My sec'ty mentioned this week that she couldn't understand why I was grousing because I've been really productive.

TH - I raise my bottle, er, glass, of Yellow Tail merlot in your honor.

John Galt - next time you're in the city, have a slice @ Uno's for me or pick up a dog (no ketchup,pls) @ Portillo's. It's been almost a year since my last visit.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to iron my dryer sheets. Debbie
BusyMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 03:22 AM   #29

Hi Debbie..................Yellow Tail and Portillos
(no ketchup). Obviously you are a woman of taste.
Re. the city, I never go there. However, I do venture
into the suburbs where Portillos are abundant.

John Galt
Old 06-03-2004, 09:11 AM   #30
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
. . .Now if you'll excuse me, I have to iron my dryer sheets. *Debbie
This could be the basis of a new REHP bumper sticker or T-shirt quote:

"DRYER SHEETS
. . . some people still iron them."

sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 08:35 AM   #31
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
You nailed it w/unnecessary conflict, stress, politics, etc. I am just not willing to invite those things back into my life again. TH - thank you so much, your post is exactly it.
Absolutely... drives me batty. But the icing is I'm too damn young to give it up tomorrow. I guess keeping that brass ring in my mind's eye will have to do until I can tell all that crap to 'go pound sand'...
Old 06-05-2004, 02:06 PM   #32
Dryer sheet aficionado

I had alot of windshield time yesterday - which is my best thinking time - and have come to terms with work being my vehicle to ER. Naturally, this was always my plan but my little vacation from the daily grind showed me just how bad it all had become.

Peace has descended back into my abode....
BusyMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 06:25 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

BusyMom - hang in there.
I now know my time for early retirement is coming. I was in a meeting the other day reviewing some accounting processes for Sarbane- Oxley compliance and I kept saying to myself "This stuff is killing me! I can't take it any more!" I'm 49 and I was looking at all the young faces around me and thinking "My God. How do they do it every day knowing they have to do this for the next 30 or 40 years!

TH
Thanks for the inspiration - Going from a lavish lifestyle to $24K/per year. I'm trying to set up my portfolio for when I ER next year about this time. I estimate my basic needs at $20K after taxes per year. But, like others I want to travel. I have traveled a great deal in my past positions.
To all
I read a lot of the posts here and I appreciate it.