Join Early Retirement Today

Got FIRED at 30... my story
Old 06-27-2010, 08:44 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Got FIRED at 30... my story

While growing up my parents were among the working poor. They had low paying jobs with no health insurance and it was a constant struggle to get by. I remember my dad replacing our TV that worked perfectly fine with one of the most expensive/biggest ones you could buy. And then a week later we didn't have enough money to buy me new sneakers that I desperately needed for my growing feet. I realized then at the age of 10 that we were living above our means.

I got a job delivering newspapers when I was 12. I had a budget, saved half and spent the other half on stuff I needed/wanted. When I was 16 my Dad died unexpectedly of a heart attack. We were forced into bankruptcy and lost the house because we couldn't keep up with the debt and we moved into an apartment. I quit delivering papers and got a job at a grocery store making 25 cents above minimum wage. We also applied for welfare but were declined because between my mom and I we made $78/month too much above the income requirement. With budgeting and the occasional generosity of friends and family we managed to get by.

After graduating from HS I decided college wasn't for me. I started working an entry level position at megacorp making $12.75/hr. The corporate bureaucracy got old real quick and I decided that I didn't want to work till 65 like everyone else. I opened a 401k, IRA, and a brokerage account and contributed to all of them on a regular basis. Sometime along the way I came across this board and I've been lurking ever since. I managed to climb the corporate ladder in a company that I had grown to hate. In June 2009 I announced my intention to retire in November 2009.

For the first time in my life I am happy and stress free. Thank you to everyone on to this board as you've helped me and many others achieve their FIRE goals.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2010, 09:14 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

You're welcome & congratulations - you've earned it - enjoy.

Old 06-27-2010, 09:22 PM   #3
Dryer sheet aficionado

I wonder how many people are/were just like gvillager, reading and learning from other's experience and discovering their own path to happiness along the way.

Not to say that FIRE is for everyone, but it is easy to drown in the sea of consumption and marketing when there are no other options in sight.

That said, congratulations and I hope you continue with your new found lease on life
Old 06-27-2010, 10:21 PM   #4
Dryer sheet aficionado

Congratulations! Well done. It's great to hear about people who actively pursue goals instead of adopting the victim mentality and complaining all the time.

Bravo gvillager.
Old 06-27-2010, 10:30 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'll echo everything that FreeAt30 said. It's very empowering when you realize that you can take control of your life.

Enjoy your freedom gvillager!
Old 06-28-2010, 09:13 AM   #6

A wonderful & inspirational life story!

Welcome to the board. Congratulations!
Old 06-29-2010, 06:13 PM   #7
Dryer sheet aficionado

Wow, awesome! Would you be able to explain some more of how you managed to FIRE?

No need to get into actual specifics. However, general stuff like "My savings rate was X% of pay, invested in a balanced portfolio of stock and bond mutual funds etc..." would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-04-2010, 12:42 AM   #8

Are you still in NYC?
Old 07-04-2010, 03:02 AM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

Congrats! Yorur story is so encouraging. It must have taken a lot of determination to achieve this FIRE at such an early age. What are your plans now?
Old 07-04-2010, 02:04 PM   #10
Confused about dryer sheets

I contributed 6% of my salary to my 401k and received my employers match (couldn't pass up free money). Every year I maxed out my IRA and by the time I was 24 I was saving 40% of my net income.

In the beginning I invested in individual stocks but never got comfortable with funds. As my portfolio grew and I was closer to my goal I started diversifying into bonds.

Last year I bought a building in Manhattan. The first floor is a commercial unit, second floor is residential and rented to a long term tenant, and I live on the 3rd floor.

Life is good!
Old 07-08-2010, 10:40 PM   #11
Dryer sheet aficionado

I'm a bit curious how you went from nothing to FIREd in 12 years (18 - 30) and being able to buy a building in Manhattan. You must have climbed that latter quicker than anyone ever has before.

Even maxing out 401k and IRA wouldn't amount to that much in the last 12 years unless you got super lucky.

Not trying to doubt you, I'd just like to figure out what I'm doing wrong!
Old 07-16-2010, 01:16 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchas View Post
I'm a bit curious how you went from nothing to FIREd in 12 years (18 - 30) and being able to buy a building in Manhattan.
Leverage (aka OPM).
Old 07-16-2010, 02:55 PM   #13
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton View Post
Leverage (aka OPM).
OK, but buying a building (with OPM) is one thing.. being FIRE is another completely. Unless that building was the deal of a lifetime, the act of buying it with OPM does not immediately lead to being FIREd.
Old 07-23-2010, 12:54 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Well, you told a story of your 'rags' (early years), but what about the way 'to riches'? It sounded interesting, but very disappointing like reading 1-2 chapters of a book and then jumping straight to epilogue.