Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Greetings from a newbie
Old 11-12-2007, 12:44 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via Skype™ to imnxpat
Greetings from a newbie

Hi everyone,

This is my first entry on this forum. My wife Lydia and I spent our working lives in California. In 2005 we retired and relocated to the Philippines, Lydia's native land. We're enjoying life here although our budget has been impacted over the past several months by the dollar devaluation.

Anyway, I look forward to an exchange of ideas on this forum as we are always looking for ways to improve our life in retirement and in turn offer advice based on our experiences in reaching this stage of life.
imnxpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2007, 02:14 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Welcome.

Just curious, what percentage of your portfolio is non-USD denominated?
Old 11-12-2007, 05:47 AM   #3

Welcome.

We have other contributors who have relocated to less expensive overseas locations. We look foreward to your contributions.
I would not have anyone adopt my mode of living...but I would have each one be very careful to find out and pursue his own way, and not his father's or his mother's or his neighbor's instead. Thoreau, Walden
Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 11:16 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Mabuhay and welcome

Philippines is a nice place and was cost effective, sorry to hear about being impacted by the dollar drop. Where are you any way.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:06 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurice View Post
Welcome.

Just curious, what percentage of your portfolio is non-USD denominated?

A very small percentage, but that is subject to change if the mutual funds here outperform those in the U.S.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:07 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
Welcome.

We have other contributors who have relocated to less expensive overseas locations. We look foreward to your contributions.

Thank you. I will do my best.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:11 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by bssc View Post
Mabuhay and welcome

Philippines is a nice place and was cost effective, sorry to hear about being impacted by the dollar drop. Where are you any way.
Salamat,

We reside in Eastwood City, an enclave in Libis, Quezon City. The community is a mix of condos, call centers, and entertainment venues.
Old 11-13-2007, 06:32 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by imnxpat View Post
A very small percentage, but that is subject to change if the mutual funds here outperform those in the U.S.

I would recommend you put a greater percentage in index funds denominated in other G7 currencies rather than PHP. You need to protect yourself against falls in the dollar without taking on too much risk in one currency, especially an EM currency.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:50 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurice View Post
I would recommend you put a greater percentage in index funds denominated in other G7 currencies rather than PHP. You need to protect yourself against falls in the dollar without taking on too much risk in one currency, especially an EM currency.

That is something I will definitely consider as I want to hedge against currency fluctuations. I only have a small amount to invest and just recently bought into a local mutual fund.

What I enjoy the flexibility of having my social security automatically deposited into my U.S. checking account (in USD of course) to which I have on line access and from which I withdraw cash in PHP as needed from the local ATM's. In turn I can take some of that PHP and open a time deposit and/or regular checking account.
Old 11-14-2007, 02:59 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I only have a small amount to invest and just recently bought into a local mutual fund.

Are you a US citizen or green card holder? If so, be aware that US taxes on non-US-registered mutual funds are generally horrendous.
bpp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 12:13 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

I am a U.S. citizen but I would expect that any U.S. taxes would be offset by taxes levied by the Philippines BIR (Bureau of Internal Revenue). Moreover, in either case the amount involved is peanuts.
Old 11-15-2007, 01:27 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I am a U.S. citizen but I would expect that any U.S. taxes would be offset by taxes levied by the Philippines BIR (Bureau of Internal Revenue). Moreover, in either case the amount involved is peanuts.
The paperwork can be a bear, though, if you are not careful. You might want to Google up "PFIC," and/or have a glance at the following thread to get an idea of what's involved:
http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...-uk-20931.html
bpp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 08:05 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpp3 View Post
The paperwork can be a bear, though, if you are not careful. You might want to Google up "PFIC," and/or have a glance at the following thread to get an idea of what's involved:
http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...-uk-20931.html

Much appreciated, bpp3 (Is this a great forum, or what?)
Old 11-15-2007, 08:19 PM   #14
Dryer sheet wannabe

Welcome.

My wife and I are from the Phils. We came to US in 1980 and I just retired 3 years ago. I'm thinking of spending more time in the Phil soon. I stay in with my sister in Cainta whenever I go there. Good luck and let us know how it goes for you and your wife.
camefromnothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 11:09 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by camefromnothing View Post
Welcome.

My wife and I are from the Phils. We came to US in 1980 and I just retired 3 years ago. I'm thinking of spending more time in the Phil soon. I stay in with my sister in Cainta whenever I go there. Good luck and let us know how it goes for you and your wife.

Thank you camefrom nothing. It so happens that my wife was in Cainta yesterday (She also has family members there). Life is agreeable w/us here so far. As much as we enjoyed our place in Califoarnia, there's no way that we could have retired there. At least in the Phils. we are able to get by modestly but comfortably on our social security.
Old 11-16-2007, 07:50 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Oops. That should be "California".