Join Early Retirement Today

Greetings From Alabama
Old 03-28-2014, 09:17 AM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Greetings From Alabama

Just joined this forum, don’t know why it took me so long, go figure. My name is Jeff and I live in Madison, AL, and plan on retiring here. I lived in Seattle for most of my life working for Boeing and then transferred out here in 07. Job sucks but it pays the bills and gets me closer to where I can cut the chains.
The reason I joined is to gain some great insight on real past experiences and or knowledge from people who are in the same situation that I am in. I’m 55, hoping to be free at 62 or sooner, between my annuity’s, 401K’s, and my IRA’s; I think I will need 1.2 to 1.5 to retire on. Hope I can gain some insight here to help me achieve my goal. Oh yeah I do take hands!!
Jeff
treblig is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2014, 09:30 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Huntsville is a beautiful town in a great area. For me because the National Speleological Society is located there and many great caves are nearby. I looked at north AR and north AL as a location to move but there is not enough altitude to make the summers bearable. So, we went to western NC at 3200 feet. Spring comes a bit later but there are four definite seasons. Had a good friend that moved from Huntsville to Seattle (not to work for Boeing). Says he has not found anything there that he doesn't like, though the cost of living is somewhat higher.
sanfanciscotreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 11:07 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Welcome...we're just a bit south of you in the Birmingham area. We occasionally wander up your way to shop at Redstone Arsenal.

I have found this forum and bogleheads.org to be great resources concerning retirement and many other financial topics.

Here's to reaching your goal on time or earlier.
Greg V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 11:07 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the forum, treblig.

I lived in Huntsville between 2005 and 2012. I still have significant ties to the area (friends, family, a house). It's high on my list of possible retirement locations.
FIREd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 12:45 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Congratulations on your soon to be retirement.

I was born in Huntsville when my dad moved from Seattle to build Rockets. Then moved back to Seattle where I grew up and still live.

Good to know Alabama might be a good possible retirement local, maybe I'll be back.
RetireAge50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 01:17 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
Welcome to the forum, treblig.

I lived in Huntsville between 2005 and 2012. I still have significant ties to the area (friends, family, a house). It's high on my list of possible retirement locations.
*IF* DW and I ever move from our current location, I think Huntsville is probably first on the list because of her family. Both brothers live there, suspect her parents will move there when they finally retire, and it's a pretty easy one-day drive to my parents and our alma mater (football, tailgating).

I can see us living there: there's enough golf and cycling opportunities around to keep me happy!
nash031 is offline   Reply With Quote