Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-04-2011, 09:44 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
Along I 35 the traffic is bad but go west and it dies off rapidly.
Along with most known lifeforms.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2011, 10:49 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by arebelspy View Post
It may be too late for that. From Forbes' list of America's Fastest-Growing Cities earlier this year, Texas had 4 of the top 10 spots, including the #1 spot.

10. Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, D.C./VA
9. San Antonio, TX
8. Indianapolis, IN
7. Nashville, TN
6. Salt Lake City, UT
5. Houston, TX
4. Dallas-Fort Worth, TX
3. Phoenix-Mesa-Glendale, AZ
2. Raleigh-Cary, NC
1. Austin, TX

America's Fastest-Growing Cities - Forbes.com

Part of the reason I've heard it's a good time to be investing in Real Estate in TX.

Still curious if the OP will come back and explain his comment about moving from TX to CA to get involved in real estate investing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Looks like someone in Texas government bribed Forbes to support their attempt to repopulate certain areas of the state that have been ravaged by REWahoo's full-disclosure hazards...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 10:57 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Sure. 90+ days of temps of 100 or more, virtually no rainfall for months, 200 year old oak trees dying from lack of water, towns without drinking water. Nice place..
You forgot to mention that the Cowboys lost today to top it all off.
Old 12-04-2011, 11:38 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Actually the rural Hill Country (40-60 mi west of i 35) is quite pretty, and there are reasonable sized towns, such as Kerrville, Fredricksburg, and Marble Falls/Burnet. These towns have Wal-Mart super centers but not Sams so one can get an idea of their size. Marble Falls is on the Highland Lakes as well. Now if you go one tier of counties west you get Junction, Menard, Mason, Llano and San Saba and these are true small towns.
Old 12-05-2011, 07:29 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by arebelspy View Post
It may be too late for that. From Forbes' list of America's Fastest-Growing Cities earlier this year, Texas had 4 of the top 10 spots, including the #1 spot.

10. Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, D.C./VA
That's the part that is admittedly beyond my comprehension. DW and I used to live within 30 minutes (when there wasn't gridlock) of Arlington/Alexandria and walked away from triple our current income almost ten years ago.

Even now we still get a kick out of watching the TV traffic reports of traffic backed up as far as the eye can see and hooting "We're soooo glad we don't live there anymore!"
Old 12-05-2011, 07:31 AM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
Actually the rural Hill Country (40-60 mi west of i 35) is quite pretty, and there are reasonable sized towns...
Yep, reasonable-sized until folks start touting them on retirement forums and thousands of ill-informed retirees move there to make current residents (hint, hint) long for the good old days before traffic jams and overcrowding...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 12:45 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Yep, reasonable-sized until folks start touting them on retirement forums and thousands of ill-informed retirees move there to make current residents (hint, hint) long for the good old days before traffic jams and overcrowding...
... and he has a high-capacity electrical receptacle for powering your RV, plus free WiFi, too, folks!

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote