Join Early Retirement Today
Greetings from Flatistan
Old 08-23-2009, 07:02 PM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe
Greetings from Flatistan

Hi I am PROACTIVATING. As instructed introducing myself.....

I am so grateful to have stumbled on this wonderful forum at just the right time in my life. What a great support structure for folks with a plan.

We are 55 and 54. We are married with 4 children, two still at home. By living way below our means and working hard, planning carefully, and dilligently running our own company, we have reached the point where we are ready to pull the plug. We are selling our very good business to our wonderful and talented employees and will stay on with them for one year to help get them dialed in to do well. We have not factored in proceeds from the sale of our business in our retirement plans. thats an extra +
We have been debt free in business and personally for many years. We own high quality residential real estate with no mortgages, and managed to dodge the last stock market debacle unscathed because I ignored my broker's advice to buy stocks with abandon at the top of the cliff, listened instead to my business instincts, and went into safety before the market went off that cliff. So because of that we are able to start the next half right on schedule. I hope to continue doing some of the things I was doing in my former business (inventing machines, instruments and new technology but in a more relaxed environment) but also want take my wife and children traveling, and just slooooow doooowwnn a little. We will continue to live frugally, and based on the FIRE thingy calculator and several other calculators, we should be fine for the next 30 years with our assets carefully managed. Praise God.

Anyway... I am really enjoying the stories and information available here.
Hopefully I can contribute something to others to help them get along with their plans as others have helped us.

PROACTIVATING is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2009, 07:41 PM   #2
Welcome to the forum. I trust that you have found the FAQ subforum, which has many of our "greatest hits". If you have questions, feel free to ask. And don't be shy about speaking up.

Best wishes,

Living an analog life in the Digital Age.
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 09:21 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Excellent synopsis and welcome!
crazy connie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 09:41 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Doggies, boy! You seem to have the problem by the short-and-curlies already.

We can show you where the fun is, but I dunno if we can help you much.

I 'spect you will eventually find that we burn your ears off sooner or later.

Having said that, welcome to the watering hole.

el gitano
my bumpersticker:
"I am not in a hurry.
I am retired.
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 03:46 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...
Welcome to the forum
Sounds like you have things well planned. Kudos.
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." - Walt Disney
freebird5825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 02:23 PM   #6
Dryer sheet wannabe
Thanks for the warm welcome all. I'm finding myself perusing these forums in amazement at how many folks are headed down this path and how focused everyone is. You really have to be.

I tell my kids that 99 percent of the world does no planning and the other 1 percent, the planners, run the world and business and gets things done. The other 99% non planners can't figure out how they do it ..........It must just be dumb luck.

All the best to you...... I'm out looking for more dryer sheets in my neighbors trash !!
Old 08-24-2009, 04:52 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...
Welcome , I read your greeting as from Flatulence . Since I am a retired RN can I recommend bran & more bran and easy on the beans .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 05:34 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus
Moe, the retired RN, is a hard act to follow, I'll pass on continuing her joke. Welcome to the forum.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 09:40 AM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.
I'm always curious as to where people are from.Flatistan? you are a biker and you are referring to Florida?

Welcome to the forum..
"Second star to the right and straight on till morning"
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 09:48 AM   #10
I thought I lived in Flatistan when I was in Houston.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 10:42 AM   #11
Dryer sheet wannabe
Oh I'm not offended at all, it's an easy mistake if one is reading fast ..... Flatulence is actually the municipality in Washington DC where the Congressional offices are located, whereas Flatistan is the state just below Georgia with very few hills and the preferred beverage is prune juice!
Old 08-27-2009, 07:15 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets
PYZAM - Florida Mountains Funny Pictures

Kroeran is offline   Reply With Quote