Join Early Retirement Today

Greetings from Las Cruces, NM
Old 08-30-2013, 06:40 AM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Greetings from Las Cruces, NM

As you can plainly see I am a new member and not 'technically or electronically' inclined in the computer world.

I am interested in learning how as a retired civil service employee being on Medicare and having FEHP-BC/BS as my secondary health insurance program, I will be affected by 'Obama Care.'

Thanks
Ruckus13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2013, 12:36 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum! While I can't answer your question there are many retired or gonna-be retired civil service folks here and no doubt one will be along shortly.
Old 08-30-2013, 08:37 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Well....I'll be a retired civil service employee in about 4 more months. I'm retiring under the old Civil Service Retirement System (CSRS), and of course also will be covered under the Federal Employees Health Benefit Plan (FEHBP). Having said that, I honestly have no idea at this point how I or other fed employees/retirees will be affected by Obamacare. I'm not looking forward to finding out, either.
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:26 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Welcome Ruckus.

If you are already enrolled in Medicare, you have qualifying insurance. You will not be directly affected by the PPACA.

https://www.healthcare.gov/other-hea...ance-programs/
No doubt a continuous prosperity, though spendthrift, is preferable to an economy thriftily moral, though lean. Nevertheless, that prosperity would seem more soundly shored if, by a saving grace, more of us had the grace to save.

Life Magazine editorial, 1956
Htown Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 11:21 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

I don't think there are many changes in FEHB as a result of Obamacare - except for the usual like extending health benefits for adult "children" to 26 years or limiting FSA for OTC drugs (and those changes do not impact retirees generally) . But there could be some future changes in federal retiree health benefits but not probably for several years.

From a FedSmith article dated Aug 5, 2013 entitled "Should Federal Employees Continue to be in the FEHBP?",

Federal employee retirees may also see changes and are more likely to see changes than current federal employees. In the annual “call letter” to insurance carriers for 2014, OPM wrote: ”OPM is encouraging proposals for pilot programs where participating carriers offer a sub-option for Medicare eligible annuitants as an alternate choice.”

The article was a mish mesh of FEHB, Congress being subject to ObamaCare, whether other federal employees should be included, etc. so was not clear that these proposed pilots are a direct result of the Health Care Reform Act. I just hope that this sub-option would be an alternate choice and not the only choice or a reduction in benefits - I'm seven years away from Medicare but would like to continue my FEHB and purchase a Part B supplement for complete coverage.
ABQ2015 is offline   Reply With Quote