Join Early Retirement Today

Greetings from Marietta, Ga
Old 01-03-2012, 05:29 PM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

Greetings from Marietta, Ga

My wife and I are 62, I've recently retired and she doesn't work. My employer's recent offer of a voluntary termination plan took us by surprise and now we're deciding what to do about taking social security as well as other things.
I'm looking forward checking out this board!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2012, 07:20 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Welcome aboard Bruce, this is a great community. And I've added you to the Class of 2011 roster as requested...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 01:31 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Bruce - wlecome to the forum and congrats on the next phase of life!
Old 01-04-2012, 06:33 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Welcome. There are some really smart people here who generously provide good advice for free.

Check out the stickys, FAQs and the search function for some good background.
Old 01-04-2012, 06:39 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Welcome. There are some really smart people here who generously provide good advice for free.
And then there's the rest of us. Good luck figuring out which is which.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:07 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Bruce, congratulations! Many of us are still aspiring to achieve FIRE, just as you have. How long has it been and how do you like it so far? When you received the voluntary retirement offer, how did you know you were ready for it?
Old 01-04-2012, 08:28 AM   #7
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worker Bee View Post
Bruce, congratulations! Many of us are still aspiring to achieve FIRE, just as you have. How long has it been and how do you like it so far? When you received the voluntary retirement offer, how did you know you were ready for it?
Well, I really don't know if we are ready for it.
It's been a week and like it so far.
I, and the rest of those that are still working there are really confused. After the company surplused one tech two years ago, we figured we were short one to cover the area that we work. I thought there wouldn't be another offer and that I would probably have to just take straight retirement, ie pension without voluntary termination plan. Needless to say they surplused one in our are and included the VTP. I don't think the VTP will be offered again in the near future. That's a whole other story so I won't get into it.
Anyway, the 2 years pay will be just like a 2 year vacation. I figure I won't make any overtime (usually 40% of my base pay) but the pension will make up for part of that. After the two years have passed, I plan to live on our 401k's for nine months and draw SS when I'm 65. I might even hold off on this, trying to make 66 or beyond. It probably depends on how much we control our spending.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:03 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceinGa View Post
Well, I really don't know if we are ready for it.
It's been a week and like it so far.
I, and the rest of those that are still working there are really confused. After the company surplused one tech two years ago, we figured we were short one to cover the area that we work. I thought there wouldn't be another offer and that I would probably have to just take straight retirement, ie pension without voluntary termination plan. Needless to say they surplused one in our are and included the VTP. I don't think the VTP will be offered again in the near future. That's a whole other story so I won't get into it.
Anyway, the 2 years pay will be just like a 2 year vacation. I figure I won't make any overtime (usually 40% of my base pay) but the pension will make up for part of that. After the two years have passed, I plan to live on our 401k's for nine months and draw SS when I'm 65. I might even hold off on this, trying to make 66 or beyond. It probably depends on how much we control our spending.
It gets better. Have you used FireCalc to see what impact delaying SS would have?
Old 01-04-2012, 03:35 PM   #9
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Have you used FireCalc to see what impact delaying SS would have?
No, but I've used others. I'll check it out. Thanks!