Greetings from Parker County Texas.

Ed B

Recycles dryer sheets
Hello all, I followed a link to this site from another retirement financial discussion board. I browsed a bit and quickly recognized that this community has a wealth of knowledge with experience and wisdom to share.

I am 56 and will be 57 in May. I am planning on earlier retirement in 2019 or 2020 at 59 or 60 yrs of age respectively. I will have a pension with a few survivor benefit options, or life only, or level income to 65 with no survivor benefit. I have a ~500k life insurance policy with my job that i can keep and still pay premiums as if I were anactive employee. If i go the level income pension route the portable life insurance could mitigate the loss of revenue my wife would experience when the pensions end upon my death. Its just one of several options i am considering.

My wife is 56 and receives a modest SocSec disability payment because of an incurable condition that significantly degraded her (our) quality of life. She wants me to retire yesterday. Her condition took away her ability to work, thus the SocSec disability benefits.

My 401k is modest (~ $315k) and growing. It isnt much but is enough to worry about and will be near $400k+ with current contribution levels and 6% annual investment performance the next 3 years. It will be enough to help out and give us options.

Debt elimination plan is well into the execution stage and the numbers - early retirement revenue & lower debt make early retirement numbers viable in mid 2018. However, I need a knee replacement and I will have that done while employeed and able to use my current employer provided health insurance. I plan to have that done January 2018.

And that brings me to the biggest risk: the cost of health insurance from early retirement until Medicare age.

I will be reading a lot here and posting occasionally. Contrary to what the length of this initial "hello" post would suggest, i am not a high volume poster in any of the online communities I participated in. I look forward to learning from you all and contributing when i have something worthwhile to share.

All the best

Ed B

Welcome Ed! If you haven't found them already, we have a helpful list of things to think about before you make the leap:

https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f47/some-important-questions-to-answer-before-asking-can-i-retire-69999.html

A few things that are especially important in the run-up: tracking your expenses, and planning for large but infrequent expenses (replace roof, HVAC, car, etc.). Great to hear you are working down debt which is also key.

The healthcare issue is out there for everyone in your position as well as many who have already ERd, but pretty much all we can do right now is to stay informed and talk with our elected officials about what is important to us.

We have many members who read much more than they post, so no worries there.

Welcome Ed!

Always happy to have another Texan. :greetings10:

Health care options to consider:
1. Do you have access to retiree health care?
2. COBRA (18 mos)

Also, there are several great threads here on FIRE health care.

Welcome from another Texas resident.

Welcome Ed! First off, very sorry to hear about your wife - best wishes to her.

You and I are about the same age and in fairly similar situations. Glad to see you're lowering debt now... and it sounds like you have a good handle on what you'll need for a comfortable retirement. Personally, I keep going back and forth on my retirement date... next year, 2019, 2020? It's such an important decision... once you snap the string you pretty much lock in your standard of living for the rest of your life. Fortunately you've come to the right place... this forum has many people knowledgeable on the details of retirement and are very willing to share this information.

Again, welcome to the forum!

Thanks all for the warm welcome. I have run a few calculations in the FIRE Calc. It took a few tries to get the inputs correct but it is clearly a good tool. I will be using the other tools as well.

welcome from a happy ex texan

well I guess I'm not an ex Texan, I retained all my Texan abilities, I just don't live there any more

welcome from a happy ex texan

well I guess I'm not an ex Texan, I retained all my Texan abilities, I just don't live there any more

Like my dad says, he says "Son, don't ask a man if he's from Texas. If he is, he will let you know. If he isn't, well there's no point in embarrassing him like that."

Like my dad says, he says "Son, don't ask a man if he's from Texas. If he is, he will let you know. If he isn't, well there's no point in embarrassing him like that."

I think we are only really hated in CO

Back
Top Bottom