Join Early Retirement Today

GREETINGS from sarf west London
Old 05-19-2007, 12:04 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

GREETINGS from sarf west London

Hello me ol' china plates, nice place you've got 'ere 8)

Loads of great advice 'ere.
A lot of it The Common Sense sort. You know. It makes sense, but it's not all that common. Great stuff

Trouble for me is it's mainly US driven, which means a lot of it makes no sense to me

Where is the UK - English - section (if any)

Cannot hang about, there's all this good reading 'n' info on this site to catch up on...

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: GREETINGS from sarf west London
Old 05-19-2007, 12:14 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Welcome across the pond anykey! Perhaps once you've caught up on your reading you could work on the aspects for your side of the puddle There appear to be a wee bit of difference in what and how our governments administer things such as taxes and benefits eh?

Old 05-19-2007, 03:15 PM   #3

Welcome anykey.

I hope you find some useful general advice on the forum. I'm from Sunderland (ready to have another go at the Premier League next season). I've just started taking my first pension from one of my ex-employers in the UK and I had a little poke around trying to find the equivalent of mutual funs over there to park some of my new income stream. The equivalent funds seem to have much higher expenses than we have here (unit trusts and the like) plus different ways the tax system works.

I'd be interested in hearing about your situation and what plans you have in place to RE. (I still have plenty of relatives and friends in 'ole Blighty but none who are relying on anything than pensions for their retirement)

Old 05-20-2007, 03:17 AM   #4

Thanks for your welcome

I'm sorry to say that much of what I have read here makes no sense to me. To my ears, you're talking a foreign language. I haven't a clue what your acronyms mean

>>Is there another equivalent site run by English speaking folk using UK examples.

Sadly the great advice you get here, doesn't apply to me
Old 05-20-2007, 08:48 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by anykey
Thanks for your welcome

I'm sorry to say that much of what I have read here makes no sense to me. To my ears, you're talking a foreign language. I haven't a clue what your acronyms mean

>>Is there another equivalent site run by English speaking folk using UK examples.

Sadly the great advice you get here, doesn't apply to me
Hey, Anykey, don't give up so easily.There is a thread on the acronyms, you will soon pick them up.

I don't know of a UK equivalent board. If you find one please tell us about it. Otherwise start a thread here, there are a few Brits who post here.

The basic principles are the same on both sides of the pond, Live Below Your Means, invest for your future, etc. execution is different. AFAIK expenses are much higher in UK. I think Richard Branson started a "low cost" index fund with 1% fees, i.e. about 5x the equivalent over here. Does it still exist? Are there cheaper alternatives?

Taking the, US based, rule of thumb that an ER needs a capital balance (or equivalent, when guaranteed income streams are involved) of 25x annual expenses to have a high chance of financial survival I would be very interested to know the relative number for UK. So what are the long term averages for return on equities, interest on bonds, inflation etc. in UK, taking into account the higher cost of investing.

Ultimately a UK version of Firecalc would be cool.
Old 05-20-2007, 09:12 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by F M All
Hey, Anykey, don't give up so easily.There is a thread on the acronyms, you will soon pick them up.
http://early-retirement.org/forums/i...p?topic=5392.0

The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts while the stupid ones are full of confidence. - Charles Bukowski

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension

REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 12:51 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
Many thanks, REWahoo. Most useful
Old 05-20-2007, 12:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Hey, Anykey, don't give up so easily.
OK. I'm still 'ere
Quote:
There is a thread on the acronyms, you will soon pick them up.
Yeah, found it now
Quote:
I don't know of a UK equivalent board.
: