Join Early Retirement Today

Greetings from Southern Maryland! 20619
Old 08-11-2017, 01:59 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Greetings from Southern Maryland! 20619

Hello All, I just joined and I am eager to communicate with everyone! But being new, I am informed that I must me "trusted" first. I am 45 and aside from the usual 401k, etc. I have realized that there is more to retirement planning. For instance, I really want to get out from my mortgage. Please tell me how to be trusted so I can communicate with you all. Tommy

Tommy1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2017, 02:03 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy1972 View Post
Please tell me how to be trusted so I can communicate with you all. Tommy
The same way you would become "trusted" if you walked into a room full of strangers.

One way to raise suspicions might be to walk into that room and loudly ask, "How do I become trusted?"

Charter resident of the lumpen slums of cyberspace

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 02:19 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Welcome! I would recommend reading all the stickies to get started. It gave me a better idea of the climate.
Lawrencewendall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 02:26 PM   #4
Confused about dryer sheets

Hey REWaloo, I see your point. I just want to communicate with members with answers I need. I am attempting to pay off my mortgage and had some questions, that's all. It probably seems too direct without chatting first. My mistake.
Tommy1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 02:40 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Timmy, don't worry about it.

If you are going to ask if you should pay off your mortgage early you might want to use the Google search feature first. That question has been asked - and debated - an untold number of times.

Charter resident of the lumpen slums of cyberspace

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 03:48 PM   #6

Welcome Tommy.

You'll find the mortgage company no mortgage opinions to be rather divided among members here.

I fall into the paid off my mortgage and not looking back camp. We paid off ours by making extra payments on it. This did two things for us: a) reduced the overall interest paid and got is paid off quicker. And b) got is used to living on a smaller budget... Which made retiring in a smaller budget that much easier.
Old 08-11-2017, 04:08 PM   #7

You're in a very pretty part of MD, Tommy! Welcome!

After reading the Community Rules and the FAQ forum, if your primary reason for joining up is to get financial insights, I suggest starting with the FIRE and Money forum. Once you've been reading a bit, you'll get the hang of it, I'm sure. We're generally a pretty friendly bunch once you get to know us
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 04:09 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

I am in the mortgage retained column as ours is at 2.75%. Having said that we make do make an extra payment amount each month so it won't stretch out too many more years.
wmc1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 05:00 PM   #9

Are you by the bay? Solomons? I love that part of the country. Very special place.

My brother lives in Laurel and wants to move there.
Elbata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 07:17 AM   #10
Dryer sheet aficionado

Greetings Tommy from Westminster MD......DW and I are 57 w/two yrs before FIRE, we have made double mortgage payments on a re-fi of 15 yrs 2.2%, just don't want to pay that nut in retirement, at the current rate we should have it done in 1.5. Actually, we're considering just taking out cash and writing one check shortly. Our jobs are stable and we can then just sock the cash away for 2 yrs.....more psychological than anything I suppose.......
Old 08-14-2017, 02:29 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Hey Tommy,

Welcome aboard. I'm a relocated TERP living in North Carolina. I love your part of the country but glad to be away from the hustle and bustle.

Anyway, wife and I paid off our mortgage last December - although we are not retired, yet. We like having smaller fixed expenses as part of our budget - but the offset is we are (and have been) maxing out our 401k's. For the better part of six years, we added an extra $1,000 each month to our mortgage payment in order to pay off our home earlier.

Michael
IMATERP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 03:49 PM   #12
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Tommy, welcome aboard.
Old 08-14-2017, 04:03 PM   #13

Hey Tommy! I used to do a lot of work at Pax River, always enjoyed getting out of the Beltway to come down there. Interesting combination of high-tech and Amish in your area.
HawkeyeNFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 04:41 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Tommy, eastern or western shore?
wyecrabber1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 04:55 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Must have gone after some breath mints.....
bigcmagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 08:05 PM   #16

As a newbie myself, I recommend spending time reading some of the great "sticky" threads. I have learned a lot just by doing that. In fact, you may likely find your questions answered there (or elsewhere here) without even having to post.

I particularly recommend this page: Some Important Questions to Answer Before Asking - Can I Retire?

Welcome aboard!
CoolRich59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 02:29 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Greetings, Tommy.

We're keeping the present mortgage (rate 2.69%) but made extra payment to get early pay off of ones on previous houses because those had higher rates. We're "semi-retired" so to speak and will have this mortgage well into retirement.

Crewer is offline   Reply With Quote