Join Early Retirement Today

Greetings from Texas
Old 01-26-2011, 10:12 AM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

Greetings from Texas

Hello All,
Long time lurker! I have benefited from the wisdom to be found here and can hopefully contribute along the road.
About myself: Last megacorp day was 12/31. I'm 53 and on the margin of financial independence. SWR of 4-5 depending on my ability to control expenses. Couldn't pass up the separation package. Hope to find some periodic project work that I find enjoyable. In the meantime I'm trying to get comfortable with uncertainty and looking to share with like minded freedom lovers.
BayBum
BayBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2011, 12:42 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

BayBum, welcome to the forum, and congratulations. I hope you discover great pleasure in this phase of life.

How have you resolved the health insurance issue?

Coach
Old 01-26-2011, 12:51 PM   #3

Welcome. There are several of us Texas folks on here. I'm 53, same as you, but not quite retired yet. I have about 23 months to go... I work for uncle sam, so not quite the same as mega corp, but I still have to do some planning. You're in the right place...

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 12:55 PM   #4
Dryer sheet wannabe

Thanks for the welcome Coach. My separation package includes 18 months of health insurance coverage at employee prices. (I retired on the last day that benefit was offered). After that, I will have access to retiree medical. Not cheap, but I think better than market rates.
BayBum
Old 01-26-2011, 01:37 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Welcome to the board.

I love retirement. I think it's the best career choice I have ever made (and I've made some great ones!)

(Marty, I passed through your town yesterday on the way to Livingston. I sure am glad they finally finished US59. As you can tell, it's been awhile since I went south out of Lufkin.)
East Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 05:11 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Welcome and congratulations for getting out of the ratrace.
Old 01-26-2011, 05:17 PM   #7

Congratulations!

Quote:
"I'm trying to get comfortable with uncertainty.."
Well put.

All the best.
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 05:39 PM   #8

Welcome, hope your RE is as much fun as ours has been. East Texas, you also must have passed our place on Lake Livingston.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 05:43 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayBum View Post
In the meantime I'm trying to get comfortable with uncertainty.
BayBum
I find this to be difficult and finally decided that it was my nature to worry before retirement so why would my nature change just because I was retired?
Acknowledging my nature actually helped.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 05:50 PM   #10

Welcome. Plenty of Texans on the board, including quite a few from the Houston area. See: http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...tml#post978117
Htown Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 05:52 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Quote:
looking to share with like minded freedom lovers.
Hey welcome here BayBum.(What bay are you bummin around on?) Nothing fancy, just remember that a loafer is more than a shoe and you'll do fine...

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 06:12 PM   #12

Welcome, BayBum and congrats from another person living in Texas. Not quite FIREd yet. Enjoy!
Earl E Retyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 06:15 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

just about 70 miles from you and i will retire March 1st...
Old 01-26-2011, 06:21 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
Welcome, hope your RE is as much fun as ours has been. East Texas, you also must have passed our place on Lake Livingston.
I turned left on 190 and headed east. Our tree order was in and we drove down to pick it up instead of having it shipped.

My dad used to live in Onalaska (I love messing with people's minds when I made that statement. "Your dad lives in Alaska" ). Do they still have fireworks over the lake on the 4th of July?

The traffic around that area is getting worse with each passing year. Pretty soon they're going to move the Houston city limit sign to just north of you.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:26 PM   #15

we are about 12 miles north east. Having retired out of Houston, we laugh when going through Huntsville and there are more than three or four cars at a light. We say 'Darn, must be go home traffic!'
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 06:27 PM   #16

Why does it seem there is a large Texas population on this board? Is it because a disproportionate number of Texans plan their finances in order to retire early or all the snowbirds retire and come to Texas?

Or maybe more people are moving to Texas because there's nothing quite like a cold beer on a hot Texas day? We need a beer toast emoticon on this board!
Old 01-26-2011, 06:32 PM   #17

We're the same way. We retired out of San Antonio and we complain if we have to wait for more than two cars to get out on the main road. Keep in mind we'd sit for on hour on Loop 410 and think nothing of it.

There's nothing like living out in the country and having a zillion stars so clear and so close you feel as though you can touch them. Or hearing the symphony that comes up from the lake at night. We wouldn't go back to city living for anything.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:36 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by East Texas View Post
Why does it seem there is a large Texas population on this board? Is it because a disproportionate number of Texans plan their finances in order to retire early or all the snowbirds retire and come to Texas?

Or maybe more people are moving to Texas because there's nothing quite like a cold beer on a hot Texas day? We need a beer toast emoticon on this board!
Lifelong Texas resident here....
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 06:53 PM   #19
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
Hey welcome here BayBum.(What bay are you bummin around on?) Nothing fancy, just remember that a loafer is more than a shoe and you'll do fine...

I have a bay house near Bastrop Bay. Works well as a dog house when the wife is tired of me.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:22 PM   #20

Welcome! Also 53, FIREd last October. DH's family is in Houston so we go back & forth a lot. (My family is east coast, I'm an accidental Texan.)

Still not really feeling "retired" - feeling guilty if I sleep past 7:45. Have been told it can take a year to decompress from 30+ years of corporate cr**, at this point I'm believing it.

Enjoy!
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote