Greetings from western NY

benande

Confused about dryer sheets
Hello all, I've been reading this forum for a few years and have decided to join. I'm a SWM age 52 with no debt whatsoever and have the usual assortment of stocks, mutual funds, bond funds, CDs and Matchbox cars as investments. Financially I believe I'm all set for ER as I could pay all the bills with a 3% return. I'd like to retire ASAP to escape from cubicle hell, but finding affordable health insurance is a concern (see my post in the Health and Early Retirement section).

Hi Neighbor. :greetings10:
I'm east of Syracuse, just SE of the worst of the Lake Ontario lake effect bands you see once in a while :whistle:, here and there, on the Weather Channel. ;)

Welcome to the board. :flowers:

Welcome. Did some time in Rochester back in the 70's and loved long summer days in the Finger Lakes. Wonder if Bully Hill Wine is still around.

Your health insurance access problem is rampant as you probably read. Hope something comes along to let you start your retirement.

Welcome ,
My daughter lives in western N.Y near Jamestown . Very nice area in the summer which is about two weeks in July. I sell on ebay so send me your match box cars and I'll send you my worthless penny stocks ( only kidding ) :)

Did some time in Rochester back in the 70's
If I didn't hear that comin' from your 'mouth' I never would have believed it!
sFun_jail.gif
..............:D

Well, benande, I've never been to New York, but I reckon I can say howdy from TX. Welcome to the forum. :greetings10:

"Affordable health insurance" is an oxymoron, unfortunately. I hope you find something that leaves you with an arm and a leg.

But welcome to the boards!

Welcome. Did some time in Rochester back in the 70's and loved long summer days in the Finger Lakes. Wonder if Bully Hill Wine is still around.

Your health insurance access problem is rampant as you probably read. Hope something comes along to let you start your retirement.

Welcome to the boards
1991 Graduate of Fairport High School here, displaced to Ohio, but would move back if I could find a job for myself in the area.

Rich- I live in Ohio now, but go wine tasting to finger lakes once per year. YES Bully Hill is still around. I believe 2009 was my first visit there (its on Keuka, right?)

Knapp is my preferred winery, and this year we stopped by one called MacGregor which might be just as good... at both wineries bought at least one bottle of everything I tasted.

Welcome from Ontario (Lake Erie North Shore). I am in a nice location West of the lake effect that hits Buffalo/Fort Erie and East of the snow streamers from Lake Huron. I have been retired for three years this June. I occasionally feel sorry for Freebird and some friends in Fort Erie. when there is lake effect.

Ridiculous Health Insurance costs

Well in NY, the only state that doesn't allow individuals to pruchase High Deductible Health plans, you can expect to pay over 1600 a month for 2 person coverage. Single coverage is slightly cheaper. Unfortunately I was forced to return to work just to get health care. NY needs to reform its health insurance program. Besides no HDHP for individuals, you have to worry about where you live as to what coverage you may purchase. They have all these invisible lines dividing up the state. Insurance you can buy in Rochester is unavailable in Buffalo or Syracuse.

Back
Top Bottom