Join Early Retirement Today

Greetings from western NY
Old 02-03-2010, 05:08 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Greetings from western NY

Hello all, I've been reading this forum for a few years and have decided to join. I'm a SWM age 52 with no debt whatsoever and have the usual assortment of stocks, mutual funds, bond funds, CDs and Matchbox cars as investments. Financially I believe I'm all set for ER as I could pay all the bills with a 3% return. I'd like to retire ASAP to escape from cubicle hell, but finding affordable health insurance is a concern (see my post in the Health and Early Retirement section).
benande is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2010, 05:12 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Hi Neighbor.
I'm east of Syracuse, just SE of the worst of the Lake Ontario lake effect bands you see once in a while , here and there, on the Weather Channel.

Welcome to the board.
Old 02-03-2010, 05:23 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome. Did some time in Rochester back in the 70's and loved long summer days in the Finger Lakes. Wonder if Bully Hill Wine is still around.

Your health insurance access problem is rampant as you probably read. Hope something comes along to let you start your retirement.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 05:43 PM   #4
Gone but not forgotten

Welcome ,
My daughter lives in western N.Y near Jamestown . Very nice area in the summer which is about two weeks in July. I sell on ebay so send me your match box cars and I'll send you my worthless penny stocks ( only kidding )
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 05:45 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
Did some time in Rochester back in the 70's
If I didn't hear that comin' from your 'mouth' I never would have believed it! ..............

Well, benande, I've never been to New York, but I reckon I can say howdy from TX. Welcome to the forum.
Old 02-03-2010, 05:57 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

"Affordable health insurance" is an oxymoron, unfortunately. I hope you find something that leaves you with an arm and a leg.

But welcome to the boards!
Old 02-03-2010, 06:06 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
Welcome. Did some time in Rochester back in the 70's and loved long summer days in the Finger Lakes. Wonder if Bully Hill Wine is still around.

Your health insurance access problem is rampant as you probably read. Hope something comes along to let you start your retirement.
Welcome to the boards
1991 Graduate of Fairport High School here, displaced to Ohio, but would move back if I could find a job for myself in the area.

Rich- I live in Ohio now, but go wine tasting to finger lakes once per year. YES Bully Hill is still around. I believe 2009 was my first visit there (its on Keuka, right?)

Knapp is my preferred winery, and this year we stopped by one called MacGregor which might be just as good... at both wineries bought at least one bottle of everything I tasted.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:53 AM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

Welcome from Ontario (Lake Erie North Shore). I am in a nice location West of the lake effect that hits Buffalo/Fort Erie and East of the snow streamers from Lake Huron. I have been retired for three years this June. I occasionally feel sorry for Freebird and some friends in Fort Erie. when there is lake effect.
Old 02-07-2010, 06:31 AM   #9
Dryer sheet aficionado

Ridiculous Health Insurance costs

Well in NY, the only state that doesn't allow individuals to pruchase High Deductible Health plans, you can expect to pay over 1600 a month for 2 person coverage. Single coverage is slightly cheaper. Unfortunately I was forced to return to work just to get health care. NY needs to reform its health insurance program. Besides no HDHP for individuals, you have to worry about where you live as to what coverage you may purchase. They have all these invisible lines dividing up the state. Insurance you can buy in Rochester is unavailable in Buffalo or Syracuse.
Allegany is offline   Reply With Quote