Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-27-2015, 08:02 AM   #21
Dryer sheet aficionado

Nash031....Congrat's on the decision; it will pass quickly. Best to you!
EpicRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2016, 09:45 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Three years on ER.org... Update!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nash031 View Post
Wife (32) and I (36) are both employed. She's (non-profit director) got a good defined-contribution plan with 12% matching that we max out. I (13.5-year Naval officer) max TSP, we both max IRAs, continue contributing to taxable accounts as well. Pretty good at LBOM, saving about 45% of gross every year, but could probably get even better.
No changes here. Jobs are the same, gross savings rate has gone up a little bit and with pay raises for both of us in the last three years, we've increased our savings by about 15% from amount saved in 2013 to amount saved in 2016. Coupled with growth, we're on track to hit our project FI number by 2020, which will open up our options. We're at about 60% of our FI number in invested assets, up from about 35% when I first logged in here three years ago.

Quote:
Not sure if I'm sticking out 20 years on active duty for the pension, but understand the fantastic inflation-adjusted benefits...

Am considering adjusting my portfolio balance up from its current 75/25 to a 90/10, and particularly so if I ultimately decide to cash in an active-duty pension.
As mentioned above, I am in it to win it. Contract through 20 years, with 3.5 to go. We've gone with 85/15 for our AA, and I'm dabbling with some value investing with a small portion of our portfolio as well.

Quote:
The lifestyle choice and having children decisions to be made in the next year or so will weigh heavily on that.
As mentioned in other threads, this is happening! DD1 due in September.

Quote:
In any event, I don't think I want to work (for someone else, anyway) well into my 50s, so we'll be working to that end.
Hasn't changed a bit! While I will likely do the "bridge career" thing for extra income and savings now that DD1 is on the way, I don't plan on working into the years that start with "5" if I can help it.

Obviously the biggest change is DD1 inbound. This will almost certainly impact savings a little bit, and certainly expenses in the longer term, thus I don't think I'll retire for good at 42, but the option may still be there. As we prepare for DD1's arrival, we think a little bit about life after military service, and specifically locations, as the draw of owning a home free and clear in a lower COL area is appealing. We both love SoCal, but taxes here take a big bite, the job market can be tough, and if DD1 finds herself an older sister someday, we'll have to move from our current home anyway which negates the property tax advantage of long-term home ownership here. Coupled with the draw of grandparents, I can see us moving back east at least for a few years to raise the family, continue saving, and potentially make a return west someday.

I've learned a lot here the last three years, and enjoy reading and contributing periodically! DW even enjoys reading some of the threads that I show her about "quality products" and car shopping! Good stuff abounds.
Now I'm gonna live in a world like that!" - World Like That, O.A.R.
nash031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 11:40 AM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Thanks for the update! Congrats on your continued progress and the impending arrival of DD1! If you get a chance, post an update when she arrives.
Katiek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 12:28 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

DINK turning into DIOK (Dual Income One Kid).

Congrats.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 12:40 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Congrats! Are you set on getting out at 20, or would you continue for a few more years on AD if given the opportunity vs starting a bridge career?
FI by 2024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 12:53 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Congratulations on the little one coming soon!
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 03:00 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by FI by 2024 View Post
Congrats! Are you set on getting out at 20, or would you continue for a few more years on AD if given the opportunity vs starting a bridge career?
I'm pretty well set on it, but I don't burn bridges. Impending arrival of DD1 makes it all the more likely. I don't want to miss a thing if I can help it!
Old 06-12-2016, 07:31 AM   #28
Dryer sheet wannabe

Congrats on the D1!

Suggestion: If you haven't already used your Post 9/11 GI Bill or have other plans for it, I recommend researching it for possible transfer to your DD1 as soon as possible. There is a 4-year (?) commitment upon transfer but the full-ride scholarship for one kid may be worth the extra time. It significantly changed our financial future/retirement plan.
BlueAFMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 06:53 PM   #29
Dryer sheet aficionado

Best of luck and welcome to the forums!
CabinLifeAt50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 03:09 PM   #30
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Heh, just looked at this again after seeing a few updates from others. So here's mine:

I've signed the contract to stick around through at least 20. It only made sense. Now at 16 years and tracking above 55% of our minimum required liquid NW for FI, I think we're on track. Still saving at the same rate as two-plus years ago, but raises and such mean the net going in has grown. I suspect we'll be about 10% above our estimated FI number by 2020. Now working on ways to reduce spending, and focusing on what's next during whatever downtime there is. Definitely still focused on keeping up the current performance, however... No ROAD here.

So that's that. Riding out the last four years... Should be fun, exciting, and eye opening as 20 approaches!
Good for you. Very good decision. Hubby retired at 20 w/ the AF, I bought my time back when I went Civil service (ain't cheap supporting 5 kids!) You'll be happy when you start collecting a pension and a second paycheck in your 40's instead of at 60 as a reservist. Invest the extra bucks. Tricare Prime is a big deal, it will be a blessing. FP said if it wasn't for that, DH wouldn't have been able to retire at 59. If you can go civil service and collect a second pension, you will be sitting very pretty!
Luv 2 Travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 04:08 PM   #31

1 oct '17 for me, then Uncle Sam's Navy will send me back htto the States and CIVLANTFLT.

Sent from my HUAWEI GRA-L09 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
HawkeyeNFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 08:29 PM   #32

I like the annual updates from others, so another from me:

Orders are sorting themselves out and timing looks like I will be able to retire from active service at 20 in less than 2.5 yrs. We will see how much push back I get as we are short on guys like me around the service.

My current job is really tough on me. Boss and I don't see eye to eye, but I'm her relief in about 8 months, so we work on it. Stress levels are high and schedule uncertainty is at the maximum right now. It makes me feel more firm in my pending decision and action.

DD1 is here... now 10 months old. As mentioned in another thread, I'm not a natural with babies but I love my daughter and cherish my time with her everyday. Not sure I need any more, but I'm 49% of the vote!

I've been struggling with "what's next?" Wife tells me "we don't have to decide yet," and that's true. I don't know that I've had a time with so much uncertainty on the horizon in my life, and I'm excited yet anxious. I want to know what's next.

I've become restless in our house, restless in our locale. I'm feeling the call back east, and have eyes on the life I want to live, whether fully or semi-ER at 42. I see lower COL elsewhere and find that very attractive, but DW is happy and loves her job here. I've been the prime breadwinner all throughout by a substantial margin, so I sometimes get frustrated thinking that I may have to go find something I don't want to do here to be able to stay for her. I've told her a couple of times that to fund the life we both envision here we need more, but there is little to no interest on her part to find work that would make that more feasible. She has always worked jobs she loves, and there is significant human capital there, but I don't like feeling as though I have to be the sacrificial lamb that works a job I hate to fund the life we want.

Ultimately, she is right - we don't need to decide now. I have a job to do for a couple of years and my focus is there. But the writing is on the wall, and I'm poking around.

I have a deployment - probably my last - coming in a few weeks. It's possible the restlessness is due to stress from work, deployment and baby. I'll bide my time and see what ebbs and flows while staying the course toward FI.

We are ahead of our pace now for my target number. We will see what Mr. Market brings in the coming years.

Exciting times are ahead!
Old 07-17-2017, 09:31 PM   #33

Love the updates, love your story. Stay safe
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 09:58 PM   #34

As others said, stick it out to get the 20 years. I work with many retired military (at least for my 10 more days!!!), mostly officers O-4 to O-6, occasional E-8 or E-9. The benefits are too great to not see that light at the end. Glad you are on track and plan to do the 20 years. The pension and medical are very nice benefits.

Once out, you have a lot of options, from converting to civilian side employment or be retired and do some contract work as you want.

Depending where you ultimately want to live will determine some of that post-military career. I would not stay in so-cal. Move to lower COL and then you also don't have to work as much or as long. I grew up in CA and also lived there for some of my career, so glad to be out of there. After my 10 days and retiring, I am moving to be near DW's family; she followed me around the country for my work for 25 years, time to let her live where she wants. That will be Cincinnati OH area for me. Your case is a bit different, since you want to move and DW does not. All I can say is look at all quality of life variables.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 10:15 PM   #35

Keep working the plan, Nash. At some point you need to sit your wife down and go over the numbers, your job frustrations, etc... she'll have to be on board with how you BOTH will move forward.

In the meantime, keep enjoying your time with your DD.
Old 07-17-2017, 11:27 PM   #36
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:

Orders are sorting themselves out and timing looks like I will be able to retire from active service at 20 in less than 2.5 yrs. We will see how much push back I get as we are short on guys like me around the service.

My current job is really tough on me. Boss and I don't see eye to eye, but I'm her relief in about 8 months, so we work on it. Stress levels are high and schedule uncertainty is at the maximum right now. It makes me feel more firm in my pending decision and action.

DD1 is here... now 10 months old. As mentioned in another thread, I'm not a natural with babies but I love my daughter and cherish my time with her everyday. Not sure I need any more, but I'm 49% of the vote!

I've been struggling with "what's next?" Wife tells me "we don't have to decide yet," and that's true. I don't know that I've had a time with so much uncertainty on the horizon in my life, and I'm excited yet anxious. I want to know what's next.

I've become restless in our house, restless in our locale. I'm feeling the call back east, and have eyes on the life I want to live, whether fully or semi-ER at 42. I see lower COL elsewhere and find that very attractive, but DW is happy and loves her job here. I've been the prime breadwinner all throughout by a substantial margin, so I sometimes get frustrated thinking that I may have to go find something I don't want to do here to be able to stay for her. I've told her a couple of times that to fund the life we both envision here we need more, but there is little to no interest on her part to find work that would make that more feasible. She has always worked jobs she loves, and there is significant human capital there, but I don't like feeling as though I have to be the sacrificial lamb that works a job I hate to fund the life we want.

Ultimately, she is right - we don't need to decide now. I have a job to do for a couple of years and my focus is there. But the writing is on the wall, and I'm poking around.

I have a deployment - probably my last - coming in a few weeks. It's possible the restlessness is due to stress from work, deployment and baby. I'll bide my time and see what ebbs and flows while staying the course toward FI.

We are ahead of our pace now for my target number. We will see what Mr. Market brings in the coming years.

Exciting times are ahead!

Thanks for the candid update - something for us dogs to chew on.....

The comments below are from my experience being married for 30 years, corporate career with a couple of relos, I was the breadwinner and we had two kids (now widowed, kids still at home).

You're approaching an inflection point in your life. Given your career, you've had one or more already, although they may not have been as obvious, or significant, as this one.

As you have said, there is no decision to make now, so don't lock yourself mentally into a specific path right now. My friends never found an answer to the job satisfaction/income/location/lifestyle equation, nor did I. Was tradeoffs for us. Lot of testing each other along the way, and no one is unhappy now with the diverse decisions we made. You will be well-served to have people you can bounce ideas off of, risk-free, as you approach your separation.

Think its good that you are clear on some of the important factors at this point-gives you time to let them soak on your brain, test some ideas against yourself, and try the best ones on your closest friends.

The "sacrificial lamb" comment is a "tell" you need to pay attention to. You have time for discussion with your wife and reconciliation about the future-your goals, hers and yours together as a family unit. Use it wisely.

Most importantly - thank you for your service!
Old 07-18-2017, 03:33 AM   #37

Nash - I enjoy the updates too. Congrats on the continued success of your military career, but more importantly your DD1. While you have a ton of stress and new efforts, it's worth it. You have a major milestone coming for your service. Thank you for your service and hang in there.
Aiming_4_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 05:47 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Have a safe deployment and Thanks for your service.

As a military kid myself, I'm aware of the nuances that involve the family.
Yes, you have been the main breadwinner, but that often happens in the military family. Between moves and deployments (when you have kids), it can be very difficult for the spouse to move up the career ladder and always find interesting fulfilling work.

It kind of turns into kind of tit for tat. You're gone, the spouse feels lonely. You have to relocate a lot and pretty soon she gets to decide where you live forever and how many kids you have, because sometimes she feels as though she hasn't had much of a voice in things. And it's true, she hasn't. But it hasn't been a bed of roses for you either. Getting out of the service is almost like starting over again from scratch.

In fact your DW might be saying you don't have to decide now because she likes the way things are and hopes they will stay that way for the foreseeable future.

After your deployment, you should have time to hash out the details,hopefully on an equal footing where no one feels like the "sacrificial lamb".
ivinsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 08:39 AM   #39

Quote:

My current job is really tough on me. Boss and I don't see eye to eye, but I'm her relief in about 8 months, so we work on it. Stress levels are high and schedule uncertainty is at the maximum right now...
Nash, thanks for the update.

I have a few (two, to be more exact) questions that I'm asking out of complete ignorance.

1. When you talk of "push-back" what do you mean? I maybe kinda understand it, but how does it operate in the military?

2. What kind of things don't you see eye-to-eye on with your boss? I just can't picture it.
Old 07-18-2017, 09:54 AM   #40

Quote:
It kind of turns into kind of tit for tat. You're gone, the spouse feels lonely. You have to relocate a lot and pretty soon she gets to decide where you live forever and how many kids you have, because sometimes she feels as though she hasn't had much of a voice in things. And it's true, she hasn't. But it hasn't been a bed of roses for you either. Getting out of the service is almost like starting over again from scratch.

In fact your DW might be saying you don't have to decide now because she likes the way things are and hopes they will stay that way for the foreseeable future
Thanks for the feedback. I know she has a tough time, as many spouses do, on deployments. My upcoming one will be the third she's endured since we met, and our second as a married couple.

Regarding stability, we've had it really good: I've managed to stay in one place for our entire marriage (2011), and all but about 18 months since I met her in 2008. While dating, we did about a year of long-distance, and then I had about six months of schooling away from home. Other than relocating to our house just before our wedding, she hasn't moved from the area since she got here in 2005. Stability-wise, she's had it really good!

I think there's a lot of validity in your point, however, about liking the way things are and wanting to keep it that way. Unfortunately, right now, I don't feel that way. As I mentioned, it may be a case of wanting to throw the baby out with the bath water because of my disenchantment with my work, upcoming deployment, etc.
Quote:
I have a few (two, to be more exact) questions that I'm asking out of complete ignorance.

1. When you talk of "push-back" what do you mean? I maybe kinda understand it, but how does it operate in the military?
The military has the option of denying your retirement or resignation. It's usually just a process denial - in other words, you don't meet all the nitnoid requirements - but occasionally they decline retirements for folks in specialties they need. It's usually not an out-and-out denial, they try to talk you into staying for one reason or another. My rank and subspecialty make me a little bit more rare than your average 20-year officer, so I'm expecting a lot of phone calls when my paper crosses various desks here in about 17 months.
Quote:
2. What kind of things don't you see eye-to-eye on with your boss? I just can't picture it
We're about as philosophically different as two people can be. We try to leverage that and make it a strength, but being second in command, it's a big-time stressor. It's been hard for me at this stage in my career (we're the same rank, promoted on the same day) and having had command once already, to stay in line and go along with certain things that I don't agree with or think are the wrong path. I say my piece, and we move on, but there's a lot of conflict between us on a near daily basis, most healthy conflict, some not.