Happy New Year & Introduction

Lusitan

Full time employment: Posting here.
Hi All;

I just came across this forum while doing some "new year financial planning" and web surfing. I used to be on the Motley Fool LBYM back when it was free and it seems like this forum is a good one so I thought I'd join up.

I'm 30, and I've been more or less thinking about financial independence / early retirement for about 6 years now.

I was a spendthrift in my college days and until about age 24, when my wife and I needed to start saving to pay for our wedding. That got me taking a new look at how I spend and save. The book "Your Money or Your Life" was also influential, if not for the investing advice at least for the idea of being aware of what spending decisions you are making.

I've recently updated my financial "snapshot" for the end of 2005, and maybe I'll post that on another thread later. Meanwhile, Happy New Year and I look forward to sharing what I know and from learning from you guys.

Cheers.

Welcome this is a nice place. Stick around ask questions.

Thanks, old woman! (felt a little odd to say that, I must admit.)

OK I got a question - what's all this about dryer sheets that I see next to everyone's posts? :)

Oh I get it ...

Well, we hang-dry! :D

(Though we did just invest in a quality iron a few weeks ago ... either way it gets you I suppose ... looking forward to early retirement if for nothing more than being able to wear a wrinkled shirt!)

Welcome to the forum. There is a lot of knowledge and experience here. Some good, some not so good.

Take some time to explore the older threads under the various subjects. It will give you some insight into the personalities of some of the folks here and will also give you some history on some of the more popular questions that come up from time to time.

Enjoy!

It's sorta like the lump in my throat when I see the American Flag or hear the National Anthem.

To the 'True blue ER' - placing a used dryer sheet into the old dryer - is symbolic. A generic brand bought in bulk and only when on sale.

The true symbol of frugal.

Heh heh heh

The true symbol of frugal?

Surely true frugality is no dryer sheets at all.   

I believe some here treat pants as optional, too.

F M All said:
I believe some here treat pants as optional, too.

Seven months after retiring I was invited back to my workplace for the first time. I was in a gathering of old co-workers and told them "Man, this is really strange."
"What?" asked one of them, "Being back here?' "No", I said. "Wearing pants!"

Welcome to the board, Lusitan.

yakers said:
Only the surfer dude in Hawaii ;)
Lusitan said:
Pants are overrated.
So are shoes, socks, jackets, ties, collars, and even sleeves...

In ER I've lost so much fat and put on enough muscle that most of my old "working" and "dress up" clothes don't even fit anymore.

Back
Top Bottom