health insurance

Happily Retired2019

Confused about dryer sheets
At 62 I would love to retire (i think!!!). I would be leaving behind my medical benefits for which I pay about $800 monthly for spouse and self.

On my own it would be so much more expensive -until I hit 65 and Medicare kicks in.

Any suggestions??

Check out healthsherpa.com

Can you manage your income to become eligible for subsidies? Many here live off taxable savings and have low income and qualify for ACA subsidies.

Are you open to a move? Health insurance cost vary widely across the country.

Last edited:
Check out heathsherpa.com

Can you manage your income to become eligible for subsidies? Many here live off taxable savings and have low income and qualify for ACA subsidies.

Are you open to a move? Health insurance cost vary widely across the country.

https://www.healthsherpa.com. And they are not in every state. They are not in mine yet.

At 62 I would love to retire (i think!!!). I would be leaving behind my medical benefits for which I pay about $800 monthly for spouse and self.

On my own it would be so much more expensive -until I hit 65 and Medicare kicks in.

Any suggestions??
Determine how much a new policy will cost. Compare it to $800/month. Decide if retiring is worth the difference for 3 years.

Can you split the difference and retire at 63.5? That's what my dad did back in the 1990s. He switched to COBRA for 18 months which gave him uninterrupted coverage to Medicare age.

I retired at 61 with 18 month cobra paying 1350.00 per month for DW and I. I had the option of going 100% retirement insurance at a cost of 2000.00 per month. I opted for the ACA plan and controlled my taxable income with a taxable account and not taking SS early. I am in my first full year of the ACA and have found it to be a great choice for early retirees. I have both premium subsidies and cost subsidies with a 50 ded/2450 out of pocket max.

Here is a link where you can see about subsidies based on income in your area.

https://www.healthcare.gov/lower-costs/

Back
Top Bottom