Hello!

linkerbink

Recycles dryer sheets
Hi, everyone!  I just found this site today and joined immediately!  I am 59, widowed, no kids.  I plan to retire next June when I turn 60 (not exactly "early", but then, I really enjoyed what I do for a living).  I should have close to 600K accumulated through IRAs (mine & my husband's), 401K, SEP IRA & TSA, plus investments.  I currently receive a small pension for life from my husband's employment (he was in law enforcement) which is enough to pay my mortgage plus a little more, and will collect my own state pension when I turn 60, plus SocSec.  He was retired USMC LtCol, so I have military health insurance (Tricare) plus base privileges (commissary, PX, etc.).  My house (condo) is almost paid for, and I have long-term care insurance in place.  My investment planner says I shouldn't have to worry about "living on cat food" in my old age (I'd rather feed it to my cat!), which is all I really care about.  I plan to work part time through a temp agency (partly to finance my wanderlust and partly for social reasons), where I can accept or refuse assignments depending on my travel schedule.   I don't have anyone I need to pass anything on to, so whatever I have left when I depart this life goes to my church.

I like what I see so far on this site, as it offers information based on real life situations and experience.  I plan to check back often for new information.  Thanks!

Welcome to the board Linkerbink.

I am sorry about your loss. How long have you been widowed? There are a few of us previous or current widow(ers) who are active on this board. My wife died in 2003 when I was 51. I have since remarried.

Financially, as long as your COLA pension(s), and SS cover you living expenses, your other savings can be put to work for various other goodies like travel, cars, upgrades to the condo, charity contributions or just "Mad" money for self indulgence. Once your condo mortgage is paid off you will have even more cash available to invest or spend on you.

Hello, SteveR! My husband died in 1992, so I've been widowed for 14 years. At this point, I haven't met anyone I'd be interested in spending the rest of my life with, so I guess I'll have to spend my money all by myself (awwww, shucks!) Actually, I've always been sort of a loner, so I'm perfectly content. My 2 sisters and I take at least one trip a year (one is divorced, the other has a VERY understanding husband) a tradition we started when my mother was still living. Now that she's gone, we could see no rational reason to stop the trips, so my older sister and I are off to Palm Beach next week.

When my husband retired from the Marine Corps (1979), he put much of his pension into investments. We met in the service (I was a Naval officer, although I only put in 7 years and did not qualify for a pension) and were married 18 1/2 years when he died. I've always tried to live below my means so that when I retired I could be independent and not have to rely on someone else for support. Now it looks like I'll be able to reap the benefits! Thanks for responding to my initial post.

Back
Top Bottom