Join Early Retirement Today

Hello...
Old 08-04-2009, 01:07 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Hello...

I retired last year in January at the age of 47. Just thought I'd drop a note to say hello...

I had been thinking of retiring (worked the 'can I do it', etc. with a financial planner a few months earlier), before circumstances at my job helped me make my decision to go. To make a long story short, I had worked for the same company for over 23 years when they decided to outsource several (myself included) in the department. Rather than to be outsourced, I decided to just "call it a career." Though I left before I had orinally planned, I think I walked away a winner (the job was quite stressful anyhow).

In retirement, I do have to watch my budget, to make sure I stay on track, but it's so great that everyday is Saturday .

When folks ask me how it's like, I say (seriously and half kidding), the best part is that now I can run all my errands during the day in the middle of the week and not wait til evenings or the weekends when I'm not working!

Easysurfer

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2009, 02:04 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Welcome easysurfer. DW just left her full-time job and seems fully occupied now running the house. We don't know how anybody gets everything done working 9-5 M-F. I've always worked out of the house, usually on my own hours, so could do errands in the middle of the day and make it up at night.

Old 08-04-2009, 03:14 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
In retirement, I do have to watch my budget, to make sure I stay on track, but it's so great that everyday is Saturday .
Easysurfer
People ask me how my weekend went....uh...what's a weekend?
Old 08-05-2009, 04:07 AM   #4
Confused about dryer sheets

Do you get good company of friends to hang out with?
Just curious, how did your friends took your decision? Do you see any change in your friendship, if at all?
Do you travel a lot now?
Old 08-05-2009, 06:46 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Overall, haven't seen too many changes with friends. Most reactions among friends, either they say they would be bored not having a set routine. Others can't believe I'm retired and say they wish they were retired. Haven't traveled around that much since retired.
Old 08-07-2009, 08:40 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Welcome to the forum
I FIREd in 2007 at age 48. Isn't it great to be "retired" at this age?
I also have to watch my budget closely and have to save up long term for my traveling funds.
I view the budgeting thing as a throwback to the old "starving college student" days.
Old 08-07-2009, 10:20 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for the welcome.

Yeah..at an early age (plus, I've been told I look younger than my age), sometimes when I tell folks I'm recently retired, they do a double take

I used to use Quicken to do my budgeting--before the program I think got too cumbersome and bloated. Then I stopped budgeting for awhile. Now since back retired, I religiously record my spending (using a different software program) to keep myself on track.

Easysurfer
Old 08-12-2009, 10:58 AM   #8
Confused about dryer sheets

Pefrect!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
People ask me how my weekend went....uh...what's a weekend?
i too have forgotten what a 'weekend' is ... oh yes, now i remember! weekends are the time to enjoy the things you've leisurely picked up during the week, while the stores are not crowded. weekends are the times to cook food, clean the house, do domestic things, and avoid going on the highways. everyone else is jam packed on those highways, trying desperately to get somewhere and then relax - in a hurry!

i love that everyday is a good day now, not just the days that start with 's'.

-sherm