Join Early Retirement Today

Hello
Old 12-05-2013, 10:05 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Hello

Former long-time lurker who just started reading again. Modestly but comfortably retired a couple of years ago on a Federal pension + a chunk of change in the bank. House, cars, toys all paid for. Health care through Federal Employees Health Benefit Plan. Wife of 25 years & daughter at home going to college on full scholarship. That's about it.
retiredatfifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2013, 10:32 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Please come back when you have developed some crisis or desperate issue. Give us something to work with.

Old 12-06-2013, 01:21 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onward View Post
Please come back when you have developed some crisis or desperate issue. Give us something to work with.

Glad to hear you're doing well though, retiredatfifty.

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 08:00 AM   #4

Welcome aboard from another retired Fed.
Old 12-12-2013, 11:41 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onward View Post

Having recently gone through a lot of relocation turmoil which has just this summer begun to settle down ... I find myself boatless having somehow lost my freshwater boat in the downsizing/relocation. What percentage of my aforementioned "chunk of change" I have in cash right now should be allocated toward my desperately needed saltwater boat rather than reinvest?

Input/Advice? Should I go ask over at Bogleheads?

Old 12-13-2013, 07:17 AM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Don't know about percentage or salt water boats. (do know about fresh water boats, though) In the 10k range for decent sized used?

Don't saltwater boats run a little more (or maybe just more to maintain)? Either way, sounds like a fun problem. We are struggling with snow birding and weather we will drag boat back and forth or get something small in south location.
Old 12-13-2013, 08:30 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Ah, we became boatless in March of this year and have been favoring the added wads of cash in our pockets!

Only when the siren song becomes too loud will we take the plunge again. Good luck! Boat fever strikes early, and is very hard to resist when the weather gets nice!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 07:49 AM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

So many boats to choose from. How do you plan to use it? Fishing, crabbing, overnight, cruising? We sold our 17' cuddy years ago and still miss it. I get out in my kayak, but DH is planning to get another boat once we fully retire. We just need to answer the above question.
Old 12-14-2013, 09:07 AM   #9

Welcome to the crew. The boat would depend on usage, and what your definition of a 'chunk of change' is lol. If I lived close to a coast a 35 - 40 trimaran would not be out of the question. I get bored with motor boats. Currently, just have an Ally 17' canoe. DW and I have discussed getting a larger boat, but it would have to be trailerable.
Old 12-14-2013, 09:28 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

My recently departed FIL, a retired Coast Guard officer, used to say that a pleasure boat is a hole in the water you pour money into. Or something like that.
Rosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 11:12 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Toured a local custom boat factory last week. Very interesting. The Big Recession took a 90% bite out of this industry. The firm has survived the shakedown by using LEAN principles, cutting its workforce by 60%, and has acquired several smaller firms that were going under.

Unfortunately our tour was not accompanied by a discount so my boating days have been further postponed. I'll wait till there's a cost effective electric model. And maybe then I'll think about it. For a long time. If the markets are doing well. Or not.

Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 01:05 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie View Post
My recently departed FIL, a retired Coast Guard officer, used to say that a pleasure boat is a hole in the water you pour money into. Or something like that.
B.O.A.T.
Definition = Break Out Another Thousand
Old 12-14-2013, 06:58 PM   #13

Well, there are boats and then there are boats. Since the only place I go with it is the north branch of the Potomac River near Williamsport, MD or Shepherdstown, WV this little 10' Porta-Bote works well for me. I found it used on Craigslist, it had been wet once. The outboard is a 5hp Briggs & Stratton, bought at significant discount because it was a store floor model. Basically a beefed-up lawn mower engine on an outboard lower end.

Although certainly noisier than a water-cooled outboard I liked the idea because in late summer the river gets a lot of weeds and I was concerned about clogged cooling water intakes. And usually I'll just motor upriver for 20 minutes or so and then drift back down with the current.

One time when I came back to the ramp there was a guy fishing with his wife. He watched as I backed the truck to the ramp with no trailer and said "If that guy folds that thing up and puts it in his truck I'm gonna sh*t my pants". And then I proceeded to do exactly that. Fold the boat up, I mean. Not sure if he followed through.

I certainly wouldn't try to go out on the Chesapeake Bay with it though, let alone ocean water.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Affordable_boat-1.jpg (151.0 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Affordable_boat-2.jpg (142.2 KB, 18 views)
Old 12-15-2013, 03:50 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Welcome Retiredatfifty. Looking forward to hearing more of your story. Grew up with no essentially no knowledge of boating. As we have lived on the coast for quite a while, I began investigating boat ownership, both the pros and cons. Decided early on that I WOULD NOT use a boat if I had to trailer it for each use. So we purchased waterfront, built a bulkhead and boatlift, and a used 19.5 foot bimini top boat. We now have owned this boat for 10 years and just replaced the outboard last year. I absolutely love boating. Can drop it in 10 minutes, take an hour long cruise and watch the sunset, Pelicans and dolphins, then put it up in 10 minutes. The elderly and small mammals are in danger when I try to trailer a boat, but this makes it idiot proof.
Old 12-15-2013, 09:36 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

+1 We live on the water and our main boat is a 18' I/O bowrider on a lift next to the dock. It is funny that most of our time these days is spent putting around at ~5 mph so 125 hp of the 135 hp are wasted for the most part but it is nice knowing it is there if I want/need it and I'm not psychologically ready for a pontoon yet. Our double-nickel present to ourselves was a Honda jet ski that tops out around 60 mph and has more 165 hp - fun - scary when we first got it but it is amazing how quickly you get used to the acceleration and the speed. Plus a 17' monohull sailboat, 14' catamaran, two kayaks. I can't remember the last time we got rid of a boat other than a trade, we just seem to keep collecting them.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 08:50 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE View Post
Welcome Retiredatfifty. Looking forward to hearing more of your story. Grew up with no essentially no knowledge of boating. As we have lived on the coast for quite a while, I began investigating boat ownership, both the pros and cons. Decided early on that I WOULD NOT use a boat if I had to trailer it for each use. So we purchased waterfront, built a bulkhead and boatlift, and a used 19.5 foot bimini top boat. We now have owned this boat for 10 years and just replaced the outboard last year. I absolutely love boating. Can drop it in 10 minutes, take an hour long cruise and watch the sunset, Pelicans and dolphins, then put it up in 10 minutes. The elderly and small mammals are in danger when I try to trailer a boat, but this makes it idiot proof.
Truth is ---- I can hook a ride for offshore fishing on any number of private boats - charters are for tourists. Lots of folks around here with boats bigger & better than I'm willing to spend who're always looking for compatible fishing or scuba partners for a share of gas money & help cleaning up the boat afterwards. Being retired & able to go out during the week helps. Outboards get horrible gas mileage & some of the bigger/better fishing here is thirty to forty miles offshore - one way.

I just want to have my own again ---- looking for around a 22' walkaround fishing boat - scouring the market for a killer deal on one has taken up quite a bit of my time this past fall. I will still partner up with people (on my boat or theirs) for more fuel-intensive trips.