Hello again!

laurence

Moderator Emeritus
So I took a bit of a break and have found the board again. Anybody still here that I knew?

I thought I'd start a thread here because a lot has changed among my stats, so restating the essentials:

35 year old male, married, two kids 5 and 2.5 years old. Living in North San Diego county.

We are clocking in around 200k houshold income now, and unfortunately we have not been as LBYM as we used to be! We bought a new house last year that we absolutely love (bigger, overlooks golf course, amazing views of the stars, horse trails all around etc.) but that also increased our debt from 260k to 400k (all in mortgage, nothing else).

I've changed my original retirement goal from 45 to 55 - it was kind of a several week long conversation my wife and I had deciding we'd rather live a little more now (nicer house, more vacations etc.) and delay to 55. I've been Vanguard Target Retirement for a while now, and the plan is to be mortgage free at 55 and live off 401k, IRA, and company pension from then on, while teaching any classes I can at the local Junior Colleges.( I have my Masters). It's been cold, even here in San Diego! Can't complain too much, though, and I really feel for all of you in the midwest right now. Hope everyone is doing well!

Welcome back! Wow - it has been 2.5 yrs since your eldest became a big-sister?! As long as you both are on board with you RE plans - have fun & live it right!

Oh my gosh...it's so good to hear from you again laurence! :greetings10: I am pleased y'all are doing so well!

Well of course we are still here! It hasn't been THAT long.... :D Welcome back!

(edited to add: Oh, by the way, I used to be "Want2Retire", before I retired!)

Hi laurence. I'm new around here (as poster, anyway). Nice to meet you.

Thanks! Yes, things by and large are well. The girls are best friends and we often find them sleeping in the same bunk instead of staying in their assigned top/bottom bunk! Work has been very stressful lately, I am somewhat optimistic the worse is over now, though.

Still here.....although I took a little sabbatical last year..........:)

Hi Laurence,
Glad that things are going well. I can understand delaying ER for living a little more affluent life now. After all, you will have a LOT of years left, even after retiring at 55.

Welcome back Laurence: the gang missed you! :greetings10:

Meadbh (still toiling away but the future is getting a little clearer)

I am in SD as well and it is cold...but not that cold. I would like to see a study of how much we save per a year on heating and cooling vs. our larger mortgage to live here. I think I have only had the heat on 3 times this winter. We just get a blanket and some sweat pants!

Welcome back Laurence! It's great to hear from you again.

Thank you all! I swear I didn't go away in a huff or anything, just life is so busy and crazy! At some point I'll post an updated picture of the kids...right now I have to attend to them in real life!

Welcome back laurence. I remember that avatar too.

Welcome back - pleased to see you all enthused and raring to go :greetings10:

Your house sounds awesome and enjoying the rewards of your hard work today (loosening up the pursestrings vs saving obsessively) is a good thing--gotta enjoy the journey. And the girls wanting to share a bunk is just adorable. I missed your posts too--welcome back!

Hi Laurence. Your post encouraged me to post for first time in a long time. Glad to hear things are going so well.... you deserve it!

Hey Laurence. I was wondering what you were up to and how your family was doing. It is great to have you back.

Life is all about balance and 55 is still young. You probably got a great deal on your house, if you bought when the housing prices were down. My DD and her family is living in San Diego since 11/09. She says that it is cold too and I just laugh at her and tell her to come back home to snowy WV and remember what cold really feels like. Nice hh income for a 35 year old. Heck, I would consider that a nice hh income for 50 somethings!

You've missed a lot of Wednesday Weigh-ins!

Welcome back. I was mostly lurking when you were active; actually, still mostly lurking.

Back
Top Bottom