Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-18-2011, 04:07 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Laurence, it's great to hear from you again. Thanks for the picture, I know you guys have plenty to keep you very busy.

I don't know about your real estate plan. It's got "ongoing expense being rationalized as an investment" written all over it. Still, if it makes your life better overall it could be worth doing.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2011, 04:37 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Hey, hey! I'm glad to see so many of you still here. I hear you on the land lording thing, I have pretty much a chorus of "Don't do it!" coming at me from several circles, I am definitely viewing the possibility with sober eyes. We know we got lucky to score our dream home two years ago post-crash yet manage to sell our current home for above asking, making us think "hey, this real estate thing ain't so tough!", at least at some level.

Old 10-18-2011, 06:36 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Hello

Beautiful family pic
Old 10-18-2011, 10:12 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Welcome back Laurence.....wonderful photo! The girls are the cutest!
Old 10-18-2011, 11:03 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Good to hear from you!

Real estate itch got you going, huh? They say it's a great time to buy smart if you can figure it out. I hope you keep us up to date.

Welcome back.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 11:32 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Laurence, it's great to hear from you again. Thanks for the picture, I know you guys have plenty to keep you very busy.

I don't know about your real estate plan. It's got "ongoing expense being rationalized as an investment" written all over it. Still, if it makes your life better overall it could be worth doing.

Guilty as charged, to a certain extent! And knowing that means I won't touch a deal I'm not 100% on.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:40 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

2nd home/vacation rental/r.e. investment/getaway. You have mentioned all of these reasons to try it. IMO, short stays in the rental business drive up costs and the risk of damage. Years are better than months, months are better than weeks, and weeks are better than days. You also want your kids to enjoy it. Turning them loose in downtown could be a problem. I would suggest a place that is fun for everyone.

We got a beachfront condo with good rental management. It was great that the kids got to know the complex. Once we taught them to swim they could navigate the area by the time they were 5-7 years old. This lasted for 11 years. The boys will still circle around to this area when they are in Florida because they are so familiar with the surroundings. It broke even most years on operating expenses and went solid black at sale time. No regret here.
Old 10-19-2011, 12:24 PM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I can not believe that Olivia is already 4 years old as it seems only the other day you had the name poll up.

Welcome back.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 03:08 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Burns: Right-sizing your home - Houston Chronicle

Interesting timing of Scott Burn's column in the paper today.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:25 PM   #30
Confused about dryer sheets

If you buy a condo in the Gaslamp, I will speed as fast as I can back to San Diego and rent from you!