Join Early Retirement Today

Hello, all.
Old 04-10-2019, 01:13 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Hello, all.

Hello, everyone. I am 28 years old and live in Omaha, NE. Recently (in the last few years), I have been getting more heavily involved in my finances. I have opened several different investment accounts, both through work and individually.

My plan for the moment is to achieve "financial freedom" by the end of 2030. At my current pace, I am not sure this is possible considering that some of my intended future expenses (owning a house and having a few children) have not yet been figured out. I have a pretty good idea of where I am headed as far as the unknown expenses but things always change.

I found out about this site through doing my research into the "FIRE" movement. I thought this would be a great way for me to ask questions and also share my experiences with others.

Anyway, I hope to be an active participant in this forum and I hope to learn a lot.
nickroberts90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2019, 01:24 PM   #2
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickroberts90 View Post
My plan for the moment is to achieve "financial freedom" by the end of 2030.
Why?
Why 2030? What's magic about that date?

Quote:
At my current pace, I am not sure this is possible considering that some of my intended future expenses (owning a house and having a few children) have not yet been figured out. I have a pretty good idea of where I am headed as far as the unknown expenses but things always change.
The younger you are, then more unknowns you have.
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 02:26 PM   #3
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeea View Post
Why?
Why 2030? What's magic about that date?
There is nothing magic about the end of 2030. It is just my current goal. My mind and my planning work better if I have a specific goal in mind and something to work towards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeea View Post
The younger you are, then more unknowns you have.
I agree with your statement however when I created my future budget plan, I was very conservative with it. I know that I will not truly understand my future expenses until they are my current expenses but I believe the budget I set up will cover future expenses.

Whenever I do retire, I plan on making enough monthly income that my income will be greater than my expenses. Currently, my plan is to have a mix of monthly and quarterly dividend payments that will cover all my expenses each month plus have extra money to reinvest.
nickroberts90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 01:15 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Welcome to the forum. There is a lot to learn here. Look forward hearing about your adventures getting to FIRE.
kimcdougc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 02:22 PM   #5

If you've read much about FIRE, here or elsewhere, you know that managing your spending is more important than managing your investments (unless you are making megabucks). The good news for you is that if you have a goal, you will be more motivated than your peers to keep the spending side of the equation under control.
MBAustin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 03:15 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Life throws a lot of surprises at you along the way, so it's hard to make plans that far in the future. But whatever comes, saving a good portion of your income, being alert to spending habits and understanding the basics of investment will always serve you well and help position you to have choices in the future.
Katiek is offline   Reply With Quote