Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2016, 05:16 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets
Rosie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NorCal
Posts: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
I have issues with calling yourself retired if you insist on tweeting once an hour every day from 6am to 11pm. That sounds like work to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nash031 View Post
I 100% agree that if you are blogging 3 times a week, tweeting once an hour, and spending as much time as his list requires in order to generate a successful, income-generating, highly trafficked blog, you are anything but "retired."

On that note, I had found the section I copied in my post above under a tab in the OP's blog labeled ...
Hire Me.

__________________

__________________
Doing nothing is underrated.
Rosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2016, 08:54 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Katsmeow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
I have issues with calling yourself retired if you insist on tweeting once an hour every day from 6am to 11pm. That sounds like work to me.
FWIW, I have a blog and I know there are apps you can use to pre-write your social media posts and then they are automatically sent out when you have scheduled them. So, you don't actually have to sit around personally doing it every hour or whatever. I haven't yet used once of those apps, but they exist.

I actually do blog every couple of days or so and spend quite a bit of time on it. I have a Facebook page for it that I also tend to and I do use twitter (although not every hour for sure).

It does take time, but for me it is a hobby. I enjoy do it. I haven't actually monetized it. But, I've sometimes had a thought about putting some ads on there, mostly to try to cover the expenses I have with the blog. It would be nice to have those covered.

Since the blog has only cost me money and I haven't earned anything from it, it clearly isn't work for me. On the other hand, I am hard pressed to think that if I put a couple of ads on there, it would suddenly disqualify me from early retirement qualification.*


* Most here would probably disqualify me anyway. I do an average of about half a day of work from home each week. Some weeks it is more and some weeks it is nothing. It is no way is financially necessary, but I do get paid for it.
__________________

__________________
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 09:45 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets
Rosie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NorCal
Posts: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
On the other hand, I am hard pressed to think that if I put a couple of ads on there, it would suddenly disqualify me from early retirement qualification.
It's not whether or not he "qualifies" as an early retiree.

Kats, my beef with the OP is that, as far as I can tell, he joined this forum and represented himself as an early retiree (and, basically advertised his blog) for the sole purpose of "driving [his] blog traffic and growing [his] social followers".

I seriously doubt you fall in that category.
__________________
Doing nothing is underrated.
Rosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 11:11 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Katsmeow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie View Post
It's not whether or not he "qualifies" as an early retiree.

Kats, my beef with the OP is that, as far as I can tell, he joined this forum and represented himself as an early retiree (and, basically advertised his blog) for the sole purpose of "driving [his] blog traffic and growing [his] social followers".

I seriously doubt you fall in that category.
Oh, I agree with you about the OP. Was just musing about the things in my post in general...not about the OP.
__________________
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 07:52 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets
Willers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 480
Clickbait at its finest.

I listened to a set of interviews recently from FinCon and they were filled with youngsters claiming to be retired and wanting to share their story in their blogs. Some of the interviews actually deteriorated to a discussion about nothing more than blogging strategies (probably because it was a blogger/podcaster conducting them). I heard references to MMM and ERE so I think many may have been inspired to use a retirement claim as a business model.
__________________
“If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do.” - Warren Miller
Willers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 03:28 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
nash031's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Coronado
Posts: 1,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
FWIW, I have a blog and I know there are apps you can use to pre-write your social media posts and then they are automatically sent out when you have scheduled them. So, you don't actually have to sit around personally doing it every hour or whatever. I haven't yet used once of those apps, but they exist.



I actually do blog every couple of days or so and spend quite a bit of time on it. I have a Facebook page for it that I also tend to and I do use twitter (although not every hour for sure).



It does take time, but for me it is a hobby. I enjoy do it. I haven't actually monetized it. But, I've sometimes had a thought about putting some ads on there, mostly to try to cover the expenses I have with the blog. It would be nice to have those covered.



Since the blog has only cost me money and I haven't earned anything from it, it clearly isn't work for me. On the other hand, I am hard pressed to think that if I put a couple of ads on there, it would suddenly disqualify me from early retirement qualification.*





* Most here would probably disqualify me anyway. I do an average of about half a day of work from home each week. Some weeks it is more and some weeks it is nothing. It is no way is financially necessary, but I do get paid for it.

To each their own. Some people blog a paragraph or two a day and don't proofread or plan out posts. Some blog and that's it not hoping to drive traffic for clicks.

If you follow his list, which was drafted with the goal of generation of traffic in order to drive income on your blog, no, you are not truly retired IMO. There is a big difference between what you described and what he is apparently doing, and also a huge difference between driving traffic to raise money via the various available website monetization options and "putting a couple of ads on there".

If you "put a couple of ads on there" without doing what he suggests, you're raising a few cents a week unless you just have a whole lot of organic traffic. Many/most hobby bloggers (as I was in my time) are probably generating a few hundred clicks a week if they're consistent and interesting. In the world of Adsense, that's nada.

It's been discussed on here with respect to Mr. Money Mustache and whether or not he is truly retired or if he's now a professional blogger, and I would err towards professional blogger like fellow "retiree" Mark Sisson over at Mark's Daily Apple.

Either way, in no way should you let what I or anyone on this forum thinks about your retirement status drive what you want to do. Believe me, if/when I'm still training for various endurance events to the tune of 15+ hrs a week while not working, a lot of other folks would not "count" that as "retired" either!
__________________

__________________
"So we beat to our own drummer in the sun;
We ask for nobody's permission to run.
I just wanna live in a world like that;
Now I'm gonna live in a world like that!" - World Like That, O.A.R.
nash031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
entrepreneur


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Retiree Health Plan After Death of Retiree-Spouse Coverage? Youngster Health and Early Retirement 11 12-12-2015 09:24 PM
Blogger lists 14 reasons not to retire early Gerbil Wheel Young Dreamers 21 02-15-2012 09:02 AM
Blogger - Go Mobile - Do we really need this? dex Other topics 4 05-09-2006 10:13 PM
Hello from another new early retiree! tpjs1 Hi, I am... 10 01-29-2004 08:51 AM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:41 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.