Join Early Retirement Today

Hello from aspiring FIRE newby!
Old 01-11-2006, 02:50 PM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

Hello from aspiring FIRE newby!

I came across this board recently and like the information/discussions.
Bio -
36yo, mother of 2 little girls, seasonal CPA, have rental real estate, part time controller of hubby's business.
I've looked for board rules and I'm not finding any. Is this board a free for all
My current focus is finding where/what to open a taxable account? We are maxing our 401k and Simple IRA accounts, have an emergency fund of 3 months, funding 529 plan. I've been throwing $250-500 into a savings account until I reached $3k balance (typical opening amount for taxable accounts). Now that I have it, I need help deciding on a fund. This money is not specifically earmarked toward anything, but options would be retirement $ or vacation home downpayment - I do view it a mid-term 5-10years.
Thanks for inviting me,
Robin
pinkmali is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Hello from aspiring FIRE newby!
Old 01-11-2006, 03:07 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Robin, if we have rules, nobody's told me. Mostly we try to stay on-topic for the specific board we post on and be at least marginally respectful of each other.

I think the challenge will be finding a good provider that won't nickel and dime you with fees for having a small account. I know Schwab has dropped their minimums, but I think they are more like $10k than 3. IIRC, Vanguard will hit you with fees for a $3k account. Maybe check out Etrade or Fidelity? Maybe Scottrade?

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 03:09 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkmali
I've looked for board rules and I'm not finding any. Is this board a free for all
Not quite Robin, although we do have our days.

What passes for our rules are posted on the home page, listed along with the description of each board. We try to accommodate an open discussion of topics related to FIRE, but give wide latitude as long as people are reasonably courteous, have a sense of humor, and don't use the board to sell products or services. I guess you could say we are a "R" rated board, but straying much beyond that will probably get your knuckles rapped.

Welcome to the forum.
Old 01-11-2006, 03:16 PM   #4

pinkmail, you may want to look at ETF's like DIA or SPY or EWJ, these track a stock index, or you can track an index for a particular country, or you can have an Index made of Government Bonds.

Low cost, very popular since most mutual funds fail to beat the index.

google on ETF's or try etfconnects.com
Old 01-11-2006, 03:21 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Vanguard has no fee* for regular taxable accounts unless they are index funds, where the fee is $10/yr for balances less than $10k. Most funds at VG require $3k minimum. The STAR fund is an exception at $1k, and has no fees in a taxable account. It is a balanced fund (owns a mix of funds that own stocks and bonds), so it may be good for a 5-10 year time horizon, as long as you don't mind risking a loss of principal due to fluctuations in the stock market.

As to ETF's, remember that you'll pay a commission every time you buy or sell one. Those could add up quick if you are a small time investor.

* I just checked, and there is an extra $10/yr fee if your account balance drops below $500 - hard to imagine since this fund holds ~40% bonds.
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 03:27 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

In that case, the STAR fund sounds ideal for Robin, IMO.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 03:31 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

If it's five years, I might just look for a nice CD...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 03:32 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yep. I'm tempted to pick the STAR fund for my 1 y.o. daughter's college fund, at least till I have more money for a $3k min fund like VG Lifestrategy growth (check that one out too, if you have $3k).

justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 11:47 AM   #9
Dryer sheet wannabe

Thanks for the suggestions.

I have had my eye on the Star fund before, but was turned off by the high amount of bonds - 40%. In taking a second look, it's 10 yr performace is alot better than I would have expected w/ the bond inclusion. I was also looking into increasing my exposure to Foreign mkts, but I will probably do this in my 401k so I don't have to deal w/ foreign tax credits. My roths and simple IRA are w/ Vanguard and should reach $50k this year - I think after that point Vanguard does not charge fees, so I'm leaning towards them.

Robin
pinkmali is offline   Reply With Quote