Join Early Retirement Today
Old 09-17-2008, 06:32 AM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post

That's why I'm back working. I tried a variety of jobs, finally found one nearby that pays nearly what I was making before retirement and almost doubles our income. Gets me out more, and I'm going to buy some toys, like a touring motorcycle. Damn the torpedoes - if I end up roadkill at least I won't go sitting in a chair.

And your killing two birds with one stone --- Working will take up a good chunk of the time that would cause boredom without sufficient funds and also provides the funds to make the time that is yours worth being off for.

This is the reason I will need a high dollar amount to really ER. (inheritance/lottery ) If I am Early Retired and have to scrape by without "enough" to do things I want to do then I might as well keep banging down the "big dollars" in the job I have invested decades acquiring until I get "enough" to do it in some style. I do not make alot of $$ now but if I "tried" to ER and did not have enough I do not think I would get close to making what I am making now if I tried to return to the workforce.

USAF Veteran -- Retired Air National Guard -- OSW -- ONW -- OIF
militaryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2008, 06:19 AM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets
Originally Posted by BLS53 View Post
I retired as a Chief from the Navy in 1995. Air Traffic Controller Rating. Never saved much money, because of child support payments. I worked in the airline industry for a few years, and didn't like the "civilian" workplace. My child support obligation ended, my Mother died and left me a modest house and $75K. I'd never seen $75K in one place in my life, and had no idea of the value (or lack thereof) of such a sum. I quit the airline job, moved into the house (small rural town, same house I grew up in). This was in 1998.

I underestimated the cost of retirement. Used the GI Bill for supplemental income (veterans get free tuition in my state), and got a teaching degree. Around here, nobody hires 50 year old male teachers, and the disparity in real estate prices between here and the "real" world, made moving inpractical.

The airline industry is a disaster area, and any old Navy buddies for networking purposes, have disappeared after all these years.

Options, work at the usual suspects in the retail sector for $8-10 an hour, or live on my pension. I choose to live on my pension.

Moral of the story: Unless you are extremely confident in your ability to reenter the workforce a decade or so from now, I would say to seek immediate employment after your Navy retirement. It is very difficult to restart an old, or restart a new career once you enter your 50's. Especially if your work experience is entirely military and a decade or more old. These 30 somethings running HR departments, don't have a clue about the military and are not receptive.
Very good advice. I may have to follow it as I get close to retirement (8 months).

oma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 12:33 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets
Originally Posted by oma View Post
Very good advice. I may have to follow it as I get close to retirement (8 months).
I think a big mistake senior enlisted folks make, is listening to alot of the military's transition propaganda, concerning the civilian value of their leadership skills.

Many get the impression, that civilian employers will hire them into a supervisory/management position based on being a retired Chief, Master Sergeant, or whatever. Often, this is not the case. Most likely, you're going to have to start at the bottom in your field of experience. Or use your educational benefits, to start at the bottom in a new career field.

My experience anyway. I'm sure there's some in demand skill areas where this is not the case. But I don't think that is the majority.

BLS53 is offline   Reply With Quote