Hello From Beautiful San Diego

is the swimming pool gated like that to prevent wandering alligators? ha, that's funny!

This week a boy swimming in a swimming hole (not a pool) in Slidell, Louisiana (suburb of New Orleans) had his arm entirely bitten off by an 11-foot alligator, and also suffered severe bite injuries to his torso.

St. Tammany alligator threat not going away- NOLA.com

They retrieved the arm from the belly of the alligator but re-attachment efforts failed. I can't imagine that the arm was in very good shape so maybe that is why. News about the boy's condition is limited since the parents desire to keep that private, but rumor has it that he may not be doing well.

Nords, thanks for your comments and, as alway, you are very articulate.

As I have worked hard all of my life, never relying on anyone to support me, I now make a decent living and when traveling, I do go "first class". However, that was because I so exhausted from work and needed others to take care of everything. After reading all of these Forum comments, I know that I need to

1. When I do retire, it's going to be on my own terms.
2. Stay healthy.
3. Financial planning is extremely important; as I have done this in my professional life and I am currently do it for both SO and me, I will continue to do it retirement, even though my SO will probably retire in about 7 years.
4. My SO and I both want to stay in San Diego in the same house.
5. The biggest desire I have in retirement is to get to know myself again; get in tuned with my body...I have been out of sinc for a long time.
6. Volunteer
7. Stop buying stuff I don't need.
8. Cook more instead of going out to eat because it was convenient.
9. Smile/laugh
10. Enjoy what I do have.

Susan

Exactly.

MONEY - - the more we have, the less most of us value or need any additional money.

To a minimum wage person, what is $10K worth? To someone with $5 million in Vanguard, what is $10K worth? Vastly different, IMO.

At some point, we are ready to say, "I have more than enough. I choose to buy TIME with at least some of my money, and only spend part of it on still more things, travel, "miscellaneous", and so on.

Once I qualify for lifetime medical at the end of next year, I know I will have more than enough to buy every thing (and experience) that I will ever want. I would be a fool not to retire, given that I no longer look forward to work each day with happy anticipation.

Susan has every right to determine how much money is enough for her, and how much she values time as opposed to the other things money can buy. It is her life. Maybe she just isn't ready for ER quite yet. But also she should realize that many here are perfectly happy with our standard of living and not exactly suffering or destitute! :2funny:

Economics: sell your time to get money to buy stuff.

I have everything I need and most of what I want.

I have time:

Days and years and barrels and acrefeet and savannas and oceans of time.

http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/showpost.php?p=537422&postcount=28

The greatest treasure of all.

Nords, thanks for your comments and, as alway, you are very articulate.

As I have worked hard all of my life, never relying on anyone to support me, I now make a decent living and when traveling, I do go "first class". However, that was because I so exhausted from work and needed others to take care of everything. After reading all of these Forum comments, I know that I need to

1. When I do retire, it's going to be on my own terms.
2. Stay healthy.
3. Financial planning is extremely important; as I have done this in my professional life and I am currently do it for both SO and me, I will continue to do it retirement, even though my SO will probably retire in about 7 years.
4. My SO and I both want to stay in San Diego in the same house.
5. The biggest desire I have in retirement is to get to know myself again; get in tuned with my body...I have been out of sinc for a long time.
6. Volunteer
7. Stop buying stuff I don't need.
8. Cook more instead of going out to eat because it was convenient.
9. Smile/laugh
10. Enjoy what I do have.

Susan

This was one of the biggest surprises of retirement and time.

http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/time-thoughts-being-29593.html

Susan,

One common train of thought for retirement is to retire with out a mortgage.

A great deal of your issues with thinking how you could ever retire early is assuming you will always be spending $6k a month (in today's $'s) forever.

If you removed your mortgage and got 2 reliable cars (as many FIRE's do), I think you would find that retiring early would be much easier.

You are trying to gauge how others retire when those of us pursuing early retirement do not intend to have items like a mortgage or expensive cars.

As such I think you are comparing apples to oranges.

The choices you have made are not wrong, but simply do not necc match up with a normal look at early retirement. Specifically having a mortgage that won't be done until you are almost 80 years old.

Maldini

Back
Top Bottom