Join Early Retirement Today

Hello from cold N.E.
Old 02-26-2017, 04:22 PM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

Hello from cold N.E.

Long time lurker first time poster. 53yr old, married, 1 child.
Looking to pack it in hopefully at 58.
Sep Ira accounts valued at approx. 700 k
Equity in real estate 600 k.

My question is with the market the way it's going these days and looking at 5 years out what should I be doing in regards to asset allocation ?

aln1117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2017, 06:11 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Welcome to the forum! Is N.E. New England?

It's hard to give any specific recommendations to you without knowing a lot more about your situation. But in general I think most people would see a five year time horizon as being short enough that they would not want to be as heavily exposed to stocks as if their time horizon was 20+ years out.

For me personally, I maintain a 60% exposure to equities, and I plan to drop it down to 55% once I'm within a year or two of full retirement (I work part time now). But a lot of this depends on your expenses, your withdrawal rate, your tolerance to risk, desire to leave money to heirs, etc.

If you want to share a bit more information, you will probably find the responses to be more useful.

Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 06:34 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

I am approximately 55%/45%.

I am a follower John Bogle, so I have almost everything in index funds.
I do have some CDs.

I generally don't count the equity in my house mainly because I plan on to continue in living in it.
broadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 06:38 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

What you do now? I was 100/0 until I was in my 40s and then started putting new money to fixed income so by the time I retired in my mid 50s I was ~60/40.

The only change I made when I retired was to convert 5% of my fixed income allocation to cash, so I have been ~60/35/5 for the last 5 years.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...60/35/5 AA
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 07:13 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Welcome. As Ready says, there is no one set number. A lot depends on if you have other sources of income (such as a pension) that can cover your expenses. Some people who have other income decide they are really investing for their kids and remain more heavily in equities.

I'm not sure when I"ll retire, but I'm currrently about 50/35/15 equities/bond funds/cash. I focused a lot in the past years about adding more liquidity and fixed income to get my allocation ready for FIRE. But this allocation has more to do with my personal situation than any indication of what I think the markets will do. I expect the market will go down significantly and go up again a number of times during my retirement, which is why I wanted some more liquidity to help during a down market.
Katiek is offline   Reply With Quote