Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hello from Georgia
Old 12-16-2010, 05:53 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Woodstock
Posts: 2
Hello from Georgia

Hey everyone,

I am 37 years old, married, one son with another on the way!

My wife and I have about 140K saved for retirement. In our Roths, which are about 1/3 of the total we have all vanguard. I have a mixture of different funds, the wellington rockstar, a REIT, emerging market, wellesey (sp?), and a mid cap...I have about 60% of it in Wellington and the other 40% is split pretty evenly in the others. My wife has one of Vanguard's target funds, 2035

We also are both eligible for a pension upon retirement and we have about 50K in those accounts. Just a straight account, no investment type thing. The pension benefit will be worth way more than our contributions.

The rest of our money is in an online savings account. Not really looking for any specific advise, just like to see what other people do with their money. Looking forward to it....
__________________

__________________
Jaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2010, 06:40 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
mickeyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: South Texas~29N/98W
Posts: 5,884
Quote:
My wife and I have about 140K saved for retirement. In our Roths, which are about 1/3 of the total we have all vanguard. I have a mixture of different funds, the wellington rockstar, a REIT, emerging market, wellesey (sp?), and a mid cap...I have about 60% of it in Wellington and the other 40% is split pretty evenly in the others. My wife has one of Vanguard's target funds, 2035
Congrats Jaws.

You are on the way to success it seems.

Welcome here.

But...do you have a Financial Plan?
__________________

__________________
Part-Owner of Texas

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 07:13 PM   #3
Confused about dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Woodstock
Posts: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
Congrats Jaws.

You are on the way to success it seems.

Welcome here.

But...do you have a Financial Plan?
You would have to define plan....

I don't have a plan to retire early, because my career does not realy allow for it. I will be eligible for my pension after 30 years of service, which I have 9 now, so I have about 20 years left.

As far as a financial plan, my wife and I dollar-cost-average our Roths every month and put 1K into savings. Our pensions will pay us 60% at retirement for each of us. In todays dollars, that would amount to almost 80K a year. My plan is to ride the Roth IRAs without touching them as long as possible.

Not counting on anything from Social Security...I don't really consider us to have a financial plan, more so a financial mindset, just in the way we live. I have not gotten into estate planning or anything like that yet, but will soon...
__________________
Jaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 07:19 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
REWahoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 42,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaws View Post
I will be eligible for my pension after 30 years of service, which I have 9 now, so I have about 20 years left.
37 + 20 = age 57. Looks early to me.
__________________
Numbers is hard

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 07:49 PM   #5
Administrator
Gumby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 10,147
Welcome Jaws. It sounds as if you are on the right track. Have you tried running Firecalc (link at bottom of page) to determine if your current plan will support your expected spending needs?
__________________
Living an analog life in the Digital Age.
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hi, I am Lillian from Georgia Lillian Hi, I am... 1 09-27-2010 08:06 PM
Hello from Georgia klandscape10 Hi, I am... 1 02-09-2010 05:40 PM
Hello from South Georgia! reddmann Hi, I am... 5 01-23-2010 12:41 AM
Insurance in Georgia ferco Life after FIRE 1 11-05-2007 05:24 PM
Athens, Georgia astroboy Life after FIRE 2 08-16-2005 12:16 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:51 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.