Join Early Retirement Today

Hello from Georgia
Old 12-16-2010, 04:53 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Hello from Georgia

Hey everyone,

I am 37 years old, married, one son with another on the way!

My wife and I have about 140K saved for retirement. In our Roths, which are about 1/3 of the total we have all vanguard. I have a mixture of different funds, the wellington rockstar, a REIT, emerging market, wellesey (sp?), and a mid cap...I have about 60% of it in Wellington and the other 40% is split pretty evenly in the others. My wife has one of Vanguard's target funds, 2035

We also are both eligible for a pension upon retirement and we have about 50K in those accounts. Just a straight account, no investment type thing. The pension benefit will be worth way more than our contributions.

The rest of our money is in an online savings account. Not really looking for any specific advise, just like to see what other people do with their money. Looking forward to it....
Jaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2010, 05:40 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Quote:
My wife and I have about 140K saved for retirement. In our Roths, which are about 1/3 of the total we have all vanguard. I have a mixture of different funds, the wellington rockstar, a REIT, emerging market, wellesey (sp?), and a mid cap...I have about 60% of it in Wellington and the other 40% is split pretty evenly in the others. My wife has one of Vanguard's target funds, 2035
Congrats Jaws.

You are on the way to success it seems.

Welcome here.

But...do you have a Financial Plan?

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 06:13 PM   #3
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
Congrats Jaws.

You are on the way to success it seems.

Welcome here.

But...do you have a Financial Plan?
You would have to define plan....

I don't have a plan to retire early, because my career does not realy allow for it. I will be eligible for my pension after 30 years of service, which I have 9 now, so I have about 20 years left.

As far as a financial plan, my wife and I dollar-cost-average our Roths every month and put 1K into savings. Our pensions will pay us 60% at retirement for each of us. In todays dollars, that would amount to almost 80K a year. My plan is to ride the Roth IRAs without touching them as long as possible.

Not counting on anything from Social Security...I don't really consider us to have a financial plan, more so a financial mindset, just in the way we live. I have not gotten into estate planning or anything like that yet, but will soon...
Jaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 06:19 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaws View Post
I will be eligible for my pension after 30 years of service, which I have 9 now, so I have about 20 years left.
37 + 20 = age 57. Looks early to me.
Old 12-16-2010, 06:49 PM   #5
Administrator

Welcome Jaws. It sounds as if you are on the right track. Have you tried running Firecalc (link at bottom of page) to determine if your current plan will support your expected spending needs?