Join Early Retirement Today

Hello from New Zealand
Old 12-30-2012, 07:57 PM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

Hello from New Zealand

Hi to all you Yanks (and southern boys and girls!). Just ran across this website in my idle browsing and joined to say "you are not alone" (spoken not sung however). Looking to retire next year and wish to live off my dividends/interest from various share (thats a NZ word for stocks) / bond investments in and on the NZX, which is as you would imagine, miniscule in comparison to the US markets. I am running out of available dividend producers to look at so thought I would look at some US options and will read the posts to see what everyone is doing. Over here we can get 6.5 to 8% yield with conservative stocks while a term deposit is approx 4.25%.
Birmanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2012, 08:27 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Welcome!!!!!!!!!!!

New Zealand is on our "must see" list
Original Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:31 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Welcome! Yours is truly a beautiful country! Can't wait to come back for a longer visit once we retire as well.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:32 PM   #4
Dryer sheet wannabe

This is good time of year...lots of cruise liners in and around at moment with hordes of overseas visitors...quite popular with US folk. Its a long haul by plane so leisurely couple of weeks is best..and then same in Australia..then Fiji, Cook Islands, Samoa etc. Go for it!
Old 12-30-2012, 08:41 PM   #5
Dryer sheet wannabe

Thanks..I do what I can. I enjoyed my 20 odd years in the US but must admit its always nice to be "home". Charleston is or was anyway lovely...many years ago however.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Welcome! Yours is truly a beautiful country! Can't wait to come back for a longer visit once we retire as well.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:01 PM   #6
Administrator

Welcome to the site. We plan a month long trip to NZ in 2014. Already looking forward to it.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:08 PM   #7
Dryer sheet wannabe

Hi Alan, thats an awfull long time to be full of anticipation....like my wife...the planning and details before the trip are most of the fun..for me..just tell me the day before we leave! However we like pommies here so you should be fine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Welcome to the site. We plan a month long trip to NZ in 2014. Already looking forward to it.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:20 PM   #8
Dryer sheet wannabe

Hi, hope you make it..the post below was meant for you..slow starter ..but quick learner.
This is good time of year...lots of cruise liners in and around at moment with hordes of overseas visitors...quite popular with US folk. Its a long haul by plane so leisurely couple of weeks is best..and then same in Australia..then Fiji, Cook Islands, Samoa etc. Go for it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWeinel View Post
Welcome!!!!!!!!!!!

New Zealand is on our "must see" list
Old 12-30-2012, 09:29 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

How is the NZ dollars doing relative to the USD? If the NZD had been doing as well as the AUD against the USD, US stocks will be a real bargain for you. But the IRS withhold 30% of dividends paid out by US common stocks to non US citizens non residents, and you cannot file a tax return to get any of that back.
bondi688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:48 PM   #10
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birmanboy View Post
Hi Alan, thats an awfull long time to be full of anticipation....like my wife...the planning and details before the trip are most of the fun..for me..just tell me the day before we leave! However we like pommies here so you should be fine
Thanks. DW is the one who does all the planning and has immense fun doing it. She has most of next year's trip to Ireland, France and the UK booked, a 4-5 month affair, and is already thinking of a month in NZ and 3 months in OZ. We've had 2 month long trips to OZ before and loved it, but this time we'll be retired and be without kids.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:58 AM   #11
Dryer sheet wannabe

Hi Bondi, thanks. NZD is strong against USD and predicted to be more to go. Yes I need to get pertinant info re out of country investors. I still have my green card but havent been back to US in 20 odd years so I'm not sure of ramifications/double taxation etc. Thanks for your "heads up" Dividends here of course are taxed as well and generally at 30% also.I need to find out if I get credit for taxation witheld in US. Cheers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bondi688 View Post
How is the NZ dollars doing relative to the USD? If the NZD had been doing as well as the AUD against the USD, US stocks will be a real bargain for you. But the IRS withhold 30% of dividends paid out by US common stocks to non US citizens non residents, and you cannot file a tax return to get any of that back.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:44 AM   #12
Administrator

Hi Birmanboy, welcome aboard.

Quote:
This is good time of year...lots of cruise liners in and around at moment with hordes of overseas visitors...quite popular with US folk.
Could be the Hobbits.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:12 PM   #13
Dryer sheet wannabe

My preciouusss..Yes Hobbits are becoming habits round here. The Film/production studios are just down the road from where we live and are important local (as well as quite a few Americans) employers in Wellington. Certainly helped put NZ on the visibility radar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Hi Birmanboy, welcome aboard.

Could be the Hobbits.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:40 PM   #14
Administrator

Quote:
My preciouusss..Yes Hobbits are becoming habits round here. The Film/production studios are just down the road from where we live and are important local (as well as quite a few Americans) employers in Wellington. Certainly helped put NZ on the visibility radar.
It was always there for some of us. That little island off the coast of Australia.

Just joking. Have a good Kiwi buddy, we spent a year together in NY in a training program. Lots of fun, great beer partner, many fond memories.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:07 PM   #15
Dryer sheet wannabe

Hi Michael, appreciate you refraining from referring to NZ as a state of Australia....but it could happen. Fond memories? NY? Always enjoyed leaving it. Ps whats the best thread for sucking up some hard researched good dividend producers?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
It was always there for some of us. That little island off the coast of Australia.

Just joking. Have a good Kiwi buddy, we spent a year together in NY in a training program. Lots of fun, great beer partner, many fond memories.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:32 PM   #16
Administrator

Welcome, Birmanboy.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:36 PM   #17
Administrator

Quote:
Hi Michael, appreciate you refraining from referring to NZ as a state of Australia....but it could happen. Fond memories? NY? Always enjoyed leaving it.
Me too, but that never stopped us from having a good time while we were there.

Quote:
Ps whats the best thread for sucking up some hard researched good dividend producers?
I don't much follow the individual stock threads, but the Stock Picking forum here has many discussions you can browse and you can start another if you have specific interests.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:55 PM   #18
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Hi to all you Yanks (and southern boys and girls!). Just ran across this website in my idle browsing and joined to say "you are not alone" (spoken not sung however). Looking to retire next year and wish to live off my dividends/interest from various share (thats a NZ word for stocks) / bond investments in and on the NZX, which is as you would imagine, miniscule in comparison to the US markets. I am running out of available dividend producers to look at so thought I would look at some US options and will read the posts to see what everyone is doing. Over here we can get 6.5 to 8% yield with conservative stocks while a term deposit is approx 4.25%.
Thank goodness you know that not all US citizens are Yanks, LOL, it used to drive my southern gal mother crazy when we lived in Fiji!

Congrats on your impending retirement!
Old 12-31-2012, 05:14 PM   #19
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hi Birmanboy, as one of E-R.org's resident cat lovers, I have to ask if your screen name has anything to do with these guys
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dm004 (wikimedia birman picture).jpg (208.9 KB, 2 views)
kyounge1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:39 PM   #20
Dryer sheet wannabe

Guilty on all and any counts. We have three, two blues and a seal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyounge1956 View Post
Hi Birmanboy, as one of E-R.org's resident cat lovers, I have to ask if your screen name has anything to do with these guys
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3cats stand.jpg (44.5 KB, 1 views)