Join Early Retirement Today

Hello from one who did it
Old 07-09-2007, 11:03 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Hello from one who did it

Found this site after my ER at 52.
Great info here, was able to get out due to no debt and good luck with the savings. We started very young saving and did basic rebalancing and dollar cost averaging and put the max in 401 and IRA accounts for many years. I read every book and magazine I could get my hands on about money and retirement for years as I knew I wanted out. Emphasized with kids four years at state Uni was what they could expect if they kept their grades up. Both are established married professionals and haven't asked for a dime since college graduation. Weddings were a shared deal, we all chipped in and they had fairly simple weddings.

My time is spent gardening, reading, volunteering at local soup kitchen and zoo, doing artwork and pottery, walking, birdwatching and enjoying the spouse and dog. Due to spousal health problems we don't travel much but we have managed several European trips during the good times.

I don't have any questions, but I probably will as time progresses. Health bennies from an old job of spouse he was able to keep. They may eventually boot me but I will do a major medical plan and have the funds set aside. We live on way less than what our investments make so we have a cushion that continues to grow.
52andout is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2007, 11:13 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome. You sound like "millionaire next door" types!

Were you fortunate enough to retire with pensions, or did you miss that gravy train?

Glad to have you on board.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 12:25 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

One cash balance pension. It would not have been enough for us to live on without savings as well.

Yes, we are like the millionaire next door. We drive modest but nice cars, have some beautiful furniture and a nice middle class house but don't waste money. We are both low maintenance and take care of ourselves, ie no smoking, little drinking and exercise. Both could stand to lose some weight but we are working on that. My weight has dropped since leaving work with little effort.

I think for us the biggest key was paying off our house and not going into credit card or auto debt. We occasionally took a short term car loan but through the years paid little in interest, allowing us to build up savings. I know paying off the house is one of the hot topics around here but I had no regrets the day we made the last payment.
52andout is offline   Reply With Quote